Really good tenant

Thanks Kat, I like that idea for next time, make them go through a process instead of demanding.

I would suggest you have the tenants put in a written request to have the pavers repaired. Make them go thru the legal channels.

"Perfect" tenants have a way of turning not so perfect, real fast.

Yea, me three. NOW... :( I increase yields by performing repairs by myself and if I hadn't been doing so I'd really be feeling it in the hip pocket. I've done other repairs for other tenants many times over the years and usually, they're respectful and treat me well, as I do them but as they say, some people are just *******s :D

Oh well, it's bye bye for them, and an increase in rent for me. They strike me as the type to argue rental increases so thats just another reason for them to go. I expect market rents from my investments, as all LL's should.

LOL!! :D exactly how I feel

Here's what I've decided to put to him:
Come the end of the tenancy, I think you should take what you've learned here and have a good scout around to find something that you really like. I cannot offer what you are looking for.

Can't argue with that..

Why do you have to offer a reason or explanation? Just don't renew the lease and give them notice to vacate.

Starting a dialogue will just give them the opportunity to reply.

Why do you have to offer a reason or explanation? Just don't renew the lease and give them notice to vacate.

Starting a dialogue will just give them the opportunity to reply.

I agree...

I felt like your comment makes it personal, whereas just notifying them to vacate keeps it on a professional/business level.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I spoke to a mate at lunch and asked the same question to him as I have here. He suggested, he's a brickie, right? How bout you ask his thoughts on a small one-two brick high retaining wall?
I said 'Good idea' so I think thats what I might do.

And if it's cheap enough, I will go ahead and never have to deal with this again, still won't renew the tenancy but it will prevent this problem into the future. Thats if it WILL work and it's cheap and easy enough, but I'll have to survey it and see.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I spoke to a mate at lunch and asked the same question to him as I have here. He suggested, he's a brickie, right? How bout you ask his thoughts on a small one-two brick high retaining wall?
I said 'Good idea' so I think thats what I might do.

And if it's cheap enough, I will go ahead and never have to deal with this again, still won't renew the tenancy but it will prevent this problem into the future. Thats if it WILL work and it's cheap and easy enough, but I'll have to survey it and see.

Consider keeping him..and put up the rent.

Tenants are like a box of chocolates :p

UPDATE** I went round' on Saturday morning with a fresh bag of sand and fixed those sunken pavers, they weren't too bad but weren't too good either. The pool looked like the Murray river.. Possibly a little worse :eek: and from then on in I decided there was no argument.. Seeing is believing. I said we could put a wall up, but water comes from both ways so that would not work.. The only way to fix the problem is to have all the neighbours on-board and pay a bunch for a big drain. Thats not gonna' happen so we decided it is what it is, unfortunately. He just loved to swim in it and I remember how it pissed me off to, you juuust get it clear after a week and then the wet season rains kick in again and you're back to square one.. All in all a shitty predicament to be in.

Turns out that they've had the pool pump serviced, bought a new skimmer box and a replacement pool vacuum hose, all off their own backs..

He is a reasonable bloke so we'll see how they go over the next couple of months.
He pointed out a slightly sticking door that would take like.. 1x plane to fix and a smoke alarm battery, very picky but thats just how they are.

I'm sorry, but you seem like a really indecisive landlord.

One second they're terrible tenants who complain about everything, then they're wonderful tenants who have good reason to complain, rinse, repeat. Likewise, you acknowledge that they spend a lot of their own time and money improving the property, then you call them lazy. Make up your mind.

It also seems like you're not keeping up your end of the bargain. You "expect market rents" but admit that the property is defective. Are you taking those defects into consideration when calculating the rental value?

If and when you decide to give them notice, it isn't really your place to lecture them on "what they're learned". Keep it simple, professional.

Mate, thats just my nature. Nobody's perfect. Put it this way, if I were an *******, I would not have gone with my human side at the sight of that pool and stuck with my guns, but as I am a good guy, I could not do that when I saw it in person. I don't know if you understand the post wholly.

It's just that when I talk to some people face to face I can see their intentions right away, whearas you cannot get that from a phone call or email. Yes, they do complain about the fussiest of things that are not considered 'faults' but they are also nice people. As I see myself also. You have a good point! And one that I will strongly consider into the future should they not bug me too much. I would be prepared to keep a lower rent than market if they offered me stability and certainty. We'll see how we go with that.

Ciao for now

The latest-

Tenants lease due to expire end of July, PM has written to us asking to advise.
We advised a rental increase of $20p/w (stating that this is not unreasonable and we could take it to $40 p/w quite easily given the current market) The tenants have not attempted to call me since I just didn't answer any of their calls a few months ago. Couldn't have been very important cause the PM never called. So we assumed they'd gotten the hint.
We were beginning to get a bit happy at this stage cause the real pain is how picky they are with maintenance jobs. They really look after the place and it always looks very neat.

The tenants have come back with: Well if we do that can we come to some sort of comprimise where the landlord drops around some pool chemicals during the wet season because the pool is in a bad position and gets very dirty, we spend a LOT (apparently) of money having this cleared up each time we get a big rain. Oh, and also please come around for maintenance again.. We are having trouble lifting the blind, it seems a bit sticky)... It's onbly 2 years old and is one of those nice looking coloured bamboo types that hang and are drawn up using a string pulley system on the side.

PM calls me to tell me that stuff (above) I want to talk with Wife tonight.
I'm thinking just be gone with them and hope for better tenants who don't call for stupid maintenance jobs. I mean, really, spray some bloody CRC on it or something would ya! We never even used to OPEN it for gods sake! Its a bedroom blind and you really don't need it open, it only looks at a clothesline.

The latest-

Tenants lease due to expire end of July, PM has written to us asking to advise.
We advised a rental increase of $20p/w (stating that this is not unreasonable and we could take it to $40 p/w quite easily given the current market) The tenants have not attempted to call me since I just didn't answer any of their calls a few months ago. Couldn't have been very important cause the PM never called. So we assumed they'd gotten the hint.
We were beginning to get a bit happy at this stage cause the real pain is how picky they are with maintenance jobs. They really look after the place and it always looks very neat.

The tenants have come back with: Well if we do that can we come to some sort of comprimise where the landlord drops around some pool chemicals during the wet season because the pool is in a bad position and gets very dirty, we spend a LOT (apparently) of money having this cleared up each time we get a big rain. Oh, and also please come around for maintenance again.. We are having trouble lifting the blind, it seems a bit sticky)... It's onbly 2 years old and is one of those nice looking coloured bamboo types that hang and are drawn up using a string pulley system on the side.

PM calls me to tell me that stuff (above) I want to talk with Wife tonight.
I'm thinking just be gone with them and hope for better tenants who don't call for stupid maintenance jobs. I mean, really, spray some bloody CRC on it or something would ya! We never even used to OPEN it for gods sake! Its a bedroom blind and you really don't need it open, it only looks at a clothesline.

Ok, so they're a bit neurotic regarding blinds. The pool situation, however, is a real problem. IIRC, the pool actually floods each winter, creating a festering quagmire which floods the neighbouring property. This isn't just a 'the pool gets dirty and needs to be cleaned' situation. You have a defective property. Have you done anything about that yet?

Nope, nothing we can do. If there was it would be a different story.
In regard to repairs, its always something stupid.. And I don't have the time nor money to be doing stupid repairs. Call me when the hot water breaks down. Not when two of the pavers have lifted., I get the feeling that these particular tenants feel I owe them time for what they pay in rent, whereas I see it as: I owe the Bank money, the Tenants pay some of it. It's just how the world works. I don't feel I need to do this for them, as if it were me I'd gladly look after such minor repairs personally. I'm already there, right? it doesn't cost me anything to repair the stuff they ask me to do, so I don't see why they insist I do it myself. I don't feel I'm being unreasonable here. I don't feel this way about any other tenants we have. I'm happy to go around the same day to attend to a leaking tap, or toilet for my tenant of 3 years, no problem! I'm also happy to pay someone to go around to property interstate to remove a possum whos moved intoi the roof, fair enough. But these people I feel have always been unreasonable in their repair maint requests. But I've also always taken care of it for them too.. I feel it's time for that to come to an end and find some new tenants, although I know they'll be there for the showing for any new tenants and probably tell them about the pool, which is fair enough, the PM would have a duty of care to mention it. Its not the easiest of situations but if being a LL were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Last edited:
I've had 3 different sets of tenants in apartments in the eastern suburbs of sydney that asked if they could paint the interior of the apartments once we agreed on a colour scheme mutually.

I said yes every time. The tenants paid for the paint and did the jobs themselves. I would inspect, and was always happy with the result. I always asked them for the receipts and just reimbursed them for the cost of the paint. They thought I was very generous. I thought they were all a bit green.

It worked out swell and they were all great tenants while they lasted, and my properties always looked new.

maybe I was just lucky.....

Nice one Oscar!

Well we've told the PM we decline the tenants offer. We came to the conclusion that we only wanted to raise the rent to $20-$30p/w LESS than market, but they came back with the counter offer and we'd prefer to source new tenants at market rent. Simple as that. We haven't heard from the PM, I expect a counter offer but we will not accept it, even if it was at market. That will make the property neutrally geared! (after tax..) and would be in positive territory if it were our only property.

Back