Really heavy nicotine tar throughout unit

It's not the first time I've bought an orange nicotine stained unit but I'm finding this latest property really challenging. Even the metal window frames outside the property is badly stained! I've been sugarsoaping everything, several times, I'm going to do another wash down over ceiling and walls with a sponge mop. I've used straight sugarsoap on the outside of property and nicotine won't budge. Any other suggestions? I wasn't really up for a major reno, so is sugarsoaping enough or will I need to paint and remove carpet? Would the smell be able to be removed from vinyl floor or will it need to be ripped up? I've removed the curtains and even the plastic curtain hooks and the hollow area of curtain rods are dripping with nicotine. They would be easy to replace though, yucko. I've managed to remove only about 50% of smell so far.

Forget sugar soap, its too wussy for that. Go to Bunnings and buy a product called Tricleanium, its in the paint prep and cleaning prduct aisle in a yellow container.

Punches way stronger than sugar soap, I have used it in a concentrated form to gets walls that sugar soap couldnt put a dent in back to shiny new and not needing painting. Its cleaned paint and gunk off power points and tiles back to looking new.

You need to wear rubber gloves when using it as it will eat the moisture from your hands, and ensure you use 2 buckets - one hot for the tricleanium and one cold for scourer rinse, change the rinse bucket regularly. I use it with sponge/scourer pads that have a white scourer side, dont use the green or blue scourers as they will colour transfer onto the wall.

For heavy nicotine, I suspect carpet and blinds will need to go.

I just threw up in my mouth.

I showed my teenager some of the gunk I'm getting off on a white tissue. I don't think she'll ever touch cigarettes. :) Joys of interstate purchases. My hubby viewed a few properties for me and couldn't remember what he had against this property. Had heaps going on all at once. In hindsight I should have given Kent a hoy to find me a property! I've spent about 10 hours cleaning so far. Hopefully it will pay off in a couple of years.

Another vote for Tricleanium.

The ceiling of one of mine was so bad that in the end I washed it with Tricleanium, then painted it with the bleedproof undercoat, then painted with white over the top, it was quicker in the end than trying to scrub the ceiling.

Try a number of drops of lavender oil diluted in water and spray on carpet, it sometimes works, depends on just how bad it is.

Chris

It amazes me (well; actually - it doesn't, really) that people can live in a house which is that badly contaminated with the stench and appearance from smoking cigarettes inside.

Some of the cars we have to work on at the workshop...almost makes you vomit. :eek:

It amazes me (well; actually - it doesn't, really) that people can live in a house which is that badly contaminated with the stench and appearance from smoking cigarettes inside.

Some of the cars we have to work on at the workshop...almost makes you vomit. :eek:
Yes and that was without me even mentioning all the dog hair up the walls. :eek:

Thanks everyone, yay, I eventually found it in the painting section at Bunnings after looking in the cleaning section. So any advice on the vinyl floor? Clean up is in about 14 hours. Do I need to scrub or soak it? If anyone has used it for that before any tips are appreciated.

As an ex-smoker (208 days now and going strong, yay me! :D), you don't actually realise that you smell so bad.
I never smoked inside house or car, but I'm guessing it's the same type situation, you are used to the smell and therefore don't smell it.

Through quitting smoking, I have not smoked 4100 cigarettes that I would have in the 208 days.
It used to take me 3 minutes to smoke each one, so I have saved myself 205 straight hours of smoking. :)

As an ex-smoker (208 days now and going strong, yay me! :D)

I am on day 49 of not smoking.Funny how the day number sticks in ya head.I can smell a smoker now a mile off.Yay to you two.Its really not that hard huh.

Sorry....Off topic but these milestones need to be shared.:)

I am on day 49 of not smoking.Funny how the day number sticks in ya head.I can smell a smoker now a mile off.Yay to you two.Its really not that hard huh.

Good on you both. Pity I kept forgetting my camera, I'm sure some pics would have helped! I'm about half-way through clean up so I'm sure I'll be able to get a few.

I've so far cleaned the vinyl with the Tricleanium, it did a fantastic job! I couldn't get under furniture so still have more to do later.

I just had a home open and two people are asking for dogs, one wants a puppy, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth changing carpet. I'll see how the applications come back. 5 groups took applications so I think I may be getting on top of it!!

Ask if they smoke...problem solved :)
you can stop cleaning.

Yep. Although I have got rid of a couple of places to free up money for my rezoning holsing costs this is my approach.

No issues with smokers. As long as it is outside. Always had words to that effect in ads. Outside smokers fine.

Non smokers happy. Smokers happy.

As an ex-smoker (208 days now and going strong, yay me! :D), you don't actually realise that you smell so bad.
I never smoked inside house or car, but I'm guessing it's the same type situation, you are used to the smell and therefore don't smell it.

Through quitting smoking, I have not smoked 4100 cigarettes that I would have in the 208 days.
It used to take me 3 minutes to smoke each one, so I have saved myself 205 straight hours of smoking. :)

Think of the $ saved!! :)

The Y-man

Back