Rebuild cost for insurance purposes

I'm currently arranging building insurance for a property I've just exchanged upon and I am surprised at the high estimates the insurers are making for the rebuild cost of the home. Without going into specifics of the actual location, the property is about 10 years old and in very good nick in a suburb of houses of similar age and quality. The purchase price is around $600K, it has 225sqm living space + 35sqm double attached garage, brick veneer, tile roof, ducted heating and cooling and quality light fittings and curtains.

The online estimators that I use put the rebuild cost at $480 - 500K, which is not that far off the entire purchase cost (ie. within $120K). The absolute cheapest nearby blocks of land go for $350K. Now either I got the deal of the century and should have really paid $200K more or what I paid was about right and rebuild costs are much more than build costs due to the demolition costs. The price I paid was certainly within $10K ball park for what has been recently selling, so I'm thinking the latter reason holds true. Do demolition expenses really cost this much ie. $150 - 200K?

It probably won't cost $480,000+ to rebuild BUT as the mortgagee, the bank wants to cover their *** in case the property burns down. Thus, they usually overestimate rebuild costs for insurance purposes, and since YOU are the one paying it, that's what the bank does all the time :)

Thanks Aaron. Roughly what % do you think the insurers overestimate? Just wondering for the time when I own the house outright and can reduce the coverage to a more realistic, but still adequate, level.

A lot will depend on what you put in to rebuild your place some project builders will be around $900 a sqm about $200000.

So if you put in the lastest wiz bang stuff you could pay up to $2000 a sqm which is about $450000 to build.

I would ensure that you note all appliances in the house ie smeg appliances take photos and age if known place in safe location. Cause if the place does burn down it will be for you to prove you had all the good stuff otherwise you may just get the cheap stuff where you have paid premiums to $450000 and you get a build for $200000, and may turn into a bit%h fight. Insurance companies will want to get out of the loss the cheapest way possible.

Read the policy carefully. A resent incident I am aware of, the owners are in battle with thier insurance company over a fire which was started by a candle and appears thier policy excludes fires started by naked flame.

Sounds a bit like flood insurance. Even though the policy stated covered for fire etc it appears they are not going to be covered.

On my return to Qld I will be reading my policy in much more detail.

Brian

Thanks for the info and tips Brian. As you suggest, I will take photos and store them off site and will read the fine print in the policy to see what is/isn't covered.

Thanks Aaron. Roughly what % do you think the insurers overestimate? Just wondering for the time when I own the house outright and can reduce the coverage to a more realistic, but still adequate, level.

Well usually the bank specifies how much cover is necessary after they do a valuation of the property. If you don't insure the property to at least the value they specify, then technically you are in breach of the loan contract. Plus - the bank will want to see your certificate of currency with the exact amount insured - so you can't hide it from them.

I'll check with the bank to find out what value they have placed on the property and will make sure my insurance goes to at least that amount. Thanks again Aaron.

Back