Regional area's of queensland

I have been doing some research in area's like babinda ingham and innisfail I have found you can still get decent house's what should I look for in infastructure because some of these area's run on seasonal work like cane farming and there doesn't seem to be a lot of employment but the rents are there and it doesn't seem hard to rent a property in the last 2 years?

Could you perhaps do your budget based on high seasonal wages to pay higher rent and be very conservative with rent levels for the rest of the year?

I have been doing some research in area's like babinda ingham and innisfail I have found you can still get decent house's what should I look for in infastructure because some of these area's run on seasonal work like cane farming and there doesn't seem to be a lot of employment but the rents are there and it doesn't seem hard to rent a property in the last 2 years?

shh don't put ingham on here it has some of the nicest beaches close by

I wouldnt hestitate on anything in the ingham forest beach area thats was in

a cashflow ++ situation and am currently looking at a block of units in the

area ;)

do remember to check flood zones though honestly I don't think you can go wrong there where else can you get a property that price and not to far from nice beaches?

Yeah sorry thats were I was concentrating on to :). There is some nice areas are you at all worried about the rental ocupancie at all in the regional areas the work can be very seasonal.

No doubt the area will benefit from the Ella Bay resort development. I think the EIA has been given a green light by QLD Government and planning authorities. Development starts 2009 I think.

Cheers
EL

I think that a big part of the reason why rents are good in the Innisfail & Babinda areas is because of the shortage of accommodation following all the destruction of Cyclone Larry last year, so if you can find a reasonable house to buy you should do well in that area - just watch out you don't buy a still cyclone damaged one!

Cane towns are no longer seasonal. Mechanisation and automation have reduced the workforce needed during the crush and maintenance keeps people busy during the slack.

There is no influx of itinerant workers anymore, it's all permanent residents. Ingham is a dreary place where most business runs on a shoestring. Mackay, however, is vibrant. Thriving because it also has the mining boom. But it is unaffordable now. :(

Apologies to any Inga residents. :D This is IMHO.

Edit: There is a "wet season/summer" slump from Christmas to Easter which is general in the tropics with the effect felt on tourism most and mining least. It is mainly business that notices this though and it would not show in rentals.

Innisfail: I have 5 apartments there, all rented out, zero vacancy rates. CG has more than doubled in the past 4 years, as have rents. Cyclone Larry was a godsend to the PI who had Landlord's insurance. Apart from the Cane season, Banana's run 24/7 all year round, plus there is quite a bit of infrastructure (engineering, transport, etc). Oh...and most importantly, I have a fantastic PM in Innisfail. Note to self: The largest number of millionaires per sq klm in the whole of Oz, live in or around Innisfail.

Babinda: I don't have any IP's there. Cyclone Larry was also a godsend to PI's there over the past 12 months. Tis a total sugar town. Note to self: Sugar mills at Gordonvale, Babinda, Atherton, and South Johnstone, are all being taken over by (can't remember who...), BUT one of these mills will close due to rationalisation. If it's Babinda...not a good look!

Ingham: I don't have any IP's there...too far to travel. Tis only a short drive from Ingham to Townsville, and does have good fishing industry. Mainly settled by Italian immigrants many years ago. Good sugar town. Not much else.

Innisfail: I have 5 apartments there, all rented out, zero vacancy rates. CG has more than doubled in the past 4 years, as have rents. Cyclone Larry was a godsend to the PI who had Landlord's insurance. Apart from the Cane season, Banana's run 24/7 all year round, plus there is quite a bit of infrastructure (engineering, transport, etc). Oh...and most importantly, I have a fantastic PM in Innisfail. Note to self: The largest number of millionaires per sq klm in the whole of Oz, live in or around Innisfail.

Babinda: I don't have any IP's there. Cyclone Larry was also a godsend to PI's there over the past 12 months. Tis a total sugar town. Note to self: Sugar mills at Gordonvale, Babinda, Atherton, and South Johnstone, are all being taken over by (can't remember who...), BUT one of these mills will close due to rationalisation. If it's Babinda...not a good look!

Ingham: I don't have any IP's there...too far to travel. Tis only a short drive from Ingham to Townsville, and does have good fishing industry. Mainly settled by Italian immigrants many years ago. Good sugar town. Not much else.

The largest number of millionaires per sq klm in the whole of Oz, live in or around Innisfail.

Is that really true? I have been browsing the site's on innisfail and it does look interesting any suburbs you can recommend? I actually had a friend of the family who owned the caravan park down near the river until recentlly

The largest number of millionaires per sq klm in the whole of Oz, live in or around Innisfail.

Is that really true? I have been browsing the site's on innisfail and it does look interesting any suburbs you can recommend? I actually had a friend of the family who owned the caravan park down near the river until recentlly

Yep, tis really true!
East Innisfail is the best area...close to town...magnificent river & mountain views if you can get something high up on the hill.
Avoid Wangan unless you are after something industrial.
Flying Fish Point and The Coconuts are both beachside suburbs, but only look at properties with ocean views there. Watch out for beach erosion on beachfront properties at Flying Fish Point...not great. The Coconuts are more sheltered from erosion and safer for beachfront properties.
There are some very low lying areas in Innisfail which flood badly with regular seasonal monotony...particular streets therefore need to be avoided. So let me know as I know mostly which ones they are.

Back