Registering rent defaulters as a bad credit

Recently had some tenants leave before their leased expired and in process of finding new tenants.

Getting the bond back and have landlords insurance so I shouldn’t lose out too much
But it gripes me that these people know they can get away with it.

Does anyone know how I can register my ex tenants as a bad credit so it effects their credit history

Would be good to start a web page to register bad tenants, as well as good tenants
Good and bad Property Managers ?????

Bill

You can start up an underground tenant trade ... i'll sell you some A-grade tenants that are moving out of my place ... for the right price ;)

Dear BillH,

Certainly property managers register bad and sometimes good tenants in the bigger databases. Appears that realestate agencies normally subscribe to about two databases.

If you are a private landlord I believe submitting this information is more difficult. In this case you may want to look at the Australian Property Owners Database (APOD).

http://www.apod.com.au/

Other information you can get in a previous post of mine detailing a general government report on Australian tenancy databases.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4001#post4001

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Sunstone

Be careful about "blackballing" tenants, that you don't leave yourself exposed to a legal action.

Promote and praise good tenants and simply decline to offer a comment about those you would prefer not to recommend. Off the record comments to another property owner on a one on one basis is a different matter.

regards

Ross

This has always been a big gripe for me.

Not all property managers subscribe to these databases, and not all property managers blacklist their tenants or use these databases effectively enough for them to be useful credit checking tools. So if not all property managers use these databases and private landlords don't have access to them or the costs are prohibitive for them, this leaves an enormous pool of bad tenants who haven't got their history blemished.

The ONLY way I can see an effective system operate is to have all the Bond Boards around the country consolidated in to one bond board which is administered as it is now.

Every property manager and landlord submits a bond, so every tenant is in the system, so when a bond claim is made a reason should be given and noted. When ever a tribunal makes an order, it should be noted with the Bond board.

When ever anyone wants to do a tenancy check, they simply ring the bond board, or apply to the bond board for their history. This will also catch out lying tenants who say they haven't rented before because they know their previous landlord will give them a poor reference.

This will also get around the problem of a property manager giving a glowing reference to a bad tenant just to get them off their books - please believe me when I say that this happens way too often! Makes me sick!

Dear JoannaK,

Good idea.

The issue is how to make it happen.

Funny thing is why we have individual state governments when really we don't need three layers of government. All levels like their little bit of "turf" including the state bond boards that they are not going to give up easily.

The second thing is that the private enterprises such as "TICA" are not going to encourage such a move due to their financial interests.

However an alternative to this is to create some sort of co-ordination between the various state bodies with a directive that instructs them all to use one database that is then used by all of the state bond authorities. This I feel could be easier to get approved as each state is relinquishing "less" of their power and control. To make it self-funding a nominal fee could be charged for 12 monthly access to this on-line database.

To make it happen possibly you could talk with the writer of the "Tenancy Database Report" -Fiona Guthrie and ask for her input into getting this heard by the RTA etc.

Alternatively if you want to start up some sort of petition to garner support for this long-term idea count me in.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Originally posted by JoannaK
Every property manager and landlord submits a bond, so every tenant is in the system, so when a bond claim is made a reason should be given and noted. When ever a tribunal makes an order, it should be noted with the Bond board.

I agree with you Joanne, the bond board should have all the info, and they are impartial.

However, the legislation,in Vctoria at least, is that you don't HAVE to take a bond (Pretty silly if you don't, but it's not mandatory), BUT if you do take a bond it MUST go to the bond board as you said.

So, there are still ppl who slip through the cracks in the system, although they are getting fewer and farther between.

asy :D

Dear JoannaK,

No prob's respectfully understand not wanting to deal with government departments.

Reminds myself of the only IP I purchased from a semi-government party. Certainly very different to purchasing from an individual or a profit minded company.

However your idea was still a good one.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back