Removal of caked on debris

HI there
just wondering if the forumites could advise on 2 problems we have:

1. We have a solar hot water system on one of our rentals which my husband has discovered has had the water softening equipment leaking salts over our roof, solar panels etc

Can anyone recommend an easy method of removal - remembering we are still on level 5 water restrictions.

2. I have been visiting an elderly relative who doesn't clean items as well as he used to. The item is a class oven dish which has baked on grime that hotwater and detergent won't remove.

Apart from levering stuff off with a knife (which has had limited success to date) - any other suggestions?

thanks in advance

I get baked on stuff from casserole dishes (eg. potato bake) by using a green cheap plastic scourer and detergent.

Or you could try sprinkling the dish with bi-carb and then splash it with vinegar and scrub with a scourer while it is fizzing.

Or try spraying with a non-caustic oven cleaner, leave it sit while you visit and scrub it off with a scourer.

I once baked something on to a saucepan so badly that it was burnt black. Hubby got it off using a wire wheel on his drill :D

I once baked something on to a saucepan so badly that it was burnt black. Hubby got it off using a wire wheel on his drill :D

Geez, Wylie - you sure did a good job of that one! :eek: Can you remember what it was that you sacrificed?

Cheers
LynnH

LOL Lynne.

No I cannot remember what it was, but I am fairly sure we didn't eat it :D

The bottom of the pan has lovely little faint swirl patterns now though :)

2. I have been visiting an elderly relative who doesn't clean items as well as he used to. The item is a class oven dish which has baked on grime that hotwater and detergent won't remove.

fill with water and splash in a good dose of domestos - or some other bleach based cleaning product. leave overnight and it should just slough off.

the only time this didn't work was when i burnt a pan sooooo badly that, when i finally cleaned the gunk off the bottom, it leaked.

Hi Raddles,
I always keep on hand a spraycan of Selleys Oven Kleen, available from hardware shops only I think.
It works on almost anything.

It is 39g/kg of sodium hydroxide; whatever that is.
Cheers Giddo

Hi there guys
have tried the oven cleaner with limited success - may have to try the Wylie approach with an angle grinder! - will be trying the domestos next
but has no one ever tried to get muck off solar panels?
thanks

Back