Reno with job

I embarked on a full-reno a couple of months back. And found it pretty hard with a full-time job. I got a couple of weeks off work and a couple of off-days here and there but it turned out more difficult than I thought. I am curious to know how others handle renovations with a job. Even if some jobs were out-sourced, one still needs to be at the property on weekdays to arrange quotes and show tradies around. Or do you hire a reno-manager to handle everything. I thought it would blow out the costs even more. Not to mention if the property happens to be inter-state or in another city.

Last edited:
For me, both my husband and I work full time and do find it tough. We do all the work the we can ourselves. For the last 2 renos previous to the one we're working on at the moment wasn't really close to us - it was a nearly 3 hour drive each way so what we'd do it leave after work on a friday and work our bums off over the weekend and drive home the early hours of monday morning. Those houses didn't need any major work - we just painted, recarpted, fixed a few bits and pieces and landscaped.

This latest property we're working on is in the same suburb as us so we do our usual work and then head to the house after work and then do some more work on the weekend. This particular house needs a lot of love. We're 6 weeks in at the moment with probably another 2 months to go.

Got to admit we're pretty exhasuted and not working as fast as we should be but it is satisfying at the same time.

For the next placed I'm banned from buying a reno-job, it's going to have to be one where we can move a tennant into straight away.

For the next placed I'm banned from buying a reno-job, it's going to have to be one where we can move a tennant into straight away.

haha. Me too. Hubby said no more reno's this year. But he did say that in April but I found a quick reno and squeezed that in last month. Paint, new toilet, vanity and mirror, new carpet and lino. 1 week. Sweet!!!

But trying not to look for a few months.

Others have been 4-5 weeks whilst working full time. Straight from work to reno. Late nights, sore bodies. But great results. We do most ourselves. Just get a tiler to waterproof and tile bathroom. Electrician and plumber friend so they are flexible. Oh and someone to polish the floors and lay carpet.

yeah i am hopefully going to do it next year. take a swing off and try and get bathroom and kitchen done with a full paint. should be good. just hope i can organise tradesmen from interstate and they arrive. lol.

I just finished my reno. Took me 4 months full time, it was the worst house in the street, and now its the best house in the street :D

You just keep going, till you finish it.

Yes, it's a bit of a nightmare when you work FT. The CRUCIAL factor is pre-planning. You need to have a timetable worked out before you settle & hopefully have quotes ahead of time as well. If not, take a couple of days straight after settlement & have times booked in with tradies for quotes. Ring them 48 hours before hand to confirm so they don't 'forget.'

I found that I could manage most of it over the phone but yes- there will be times where it's better to be on site at 7am or at the end of the day to clear up any confusion about what you want. The best chance you can give yourself is sticking to your timetable, double-checking 2 days beforehand that trades will start as per the schedule, and then phoning every day or 2 to make sure everything's on track.

For me, both my husband and I work full time and do find it tough. We do all the work the we can ourselves. For the last 2 renos previous to the one we're working on at the moment wasn't really close to us - it was a nearly 3 hour drive each way so what we'd do it leave after work on a friday and work our bums off over the weekend and drive home the early hours of monday morning. Those houses didn't need any major work - we just painted, recarpted, fixed a few bits and pieces and landscaped.

This latest property we're working on is in the same suburb as us so we do our usual work and then head to the house after work and then do some more work on the weekend. This particular house needs a lot of love. We're 6 weeks in at the moment with probably another 2 months to go.

Got to admit we're pretty exhasuted and not working as fast as we should be but it is satisfying at the same time.

I am in a very similar situation as well. The one which I am doing is one and a half hour away. But things would have been much better if it been close to home and that's what I intend to do next time especially if it is a full reno like this one.

There's a company in Melbourne which does all your renovations for you - www.propertyboost.com.au

I wonder what their management fees would be. Probably 40%-50% of the cost of reno if it was done on own.

haha. Me too. Hubby said no more reno's this year. But he did say that in April but I found a quick reno and squeezed that in last month. Paint, new toilet, vanity and mirror, new carpet and lino. 1 week. Sweet!!!

But trying not to look for a few months.

Others have been 4-5 weeks whilst working full time. Straight from work to reno. Late nights, sore bodies. But great results. We do most ourselves. Just get a tiler to waterproof and tile bathroom. Electrician and plumber friend so they are flexible. Oh and someone to polish the floors and lay carpet.

I was underestimating time for my reno it appears.

I just finished my reno. Took me 4 months full time, it was the worst house in the street, and now its the best house in the street :D

You just keep going, till you finish it.

4 months full time? Must be a big reno, knock off walls, create new rooms / bathrooms etc.

I am just trying to keep focus and maybe would reward myself with a holiday after I'm done. :p

Yes, it's a bit of a nightmare when you work FT. The CRUCIAL factor is pre-planning. You need to have a timetable worked out before you settle & hopefully have quotes ahead of time as well. If not, take a couple of days straight after settlement & have times booked in with tradies for quotes. Ring them 48 hours before hand to confirm so they don't 'forget.'

I found that I could manage most of it over the phone but yes- there will be times where it's better to be on site at 7am or at the end of the day to clear up any confusion about what you want. The best chance you can give yourself is sticking to your timetable, double-checking 2 days beforehand that trades will start as per the schedule, and then phoning every day or 2 to make sure everything's on track.

You are absolutely right. I tried the same but I had so many jobs to be done that I probably needed to be at the property fulltime for a week or two just to get a couple of quotes done. How do you manage access to the property for tradies if you are not there. Do you leave the keys somewhere for the tradies to find?

Back