renovation / tradesman agreement

Do you notice how many tradie quotes are very sloppy or even verbal for smaller jobs. A lot less binding & professional than the commercial world!!

I am compiling a couple sloppy quotes for a bathroom reno and they are quite open ended.

Do many put together your own agreement to ensure all terms and pricing is clear from the outset or is this rude or not the go?

If so, I am interested if there are particular terms / clauses that are important to include? in case I have forgotten the obvious:

payment terms
timing
additional costs
liabilities
guarantees
itemisation for additional costs etc
who pays for what components ie if material purchasing is split across both parties etc.

Renovating has too many unknown variables and I guess most are too lazy to put so many disclaimers in contracts.

Otherwise the quote will have to be ramped up to cover any nasties that "might" crop up.

I could be wrong....:confused:

I have people who I have quote to do bathroom reno's and I've found they are pretty good. They list the work included in the quote, itemise the price for each thing and then will make additional comments such as if a certain unknown is found then it will be an additional $100 etc. A lot of unknowns and they will never catch them all and you will get a phone call but I think that perhaps you should look for a few different tradies. I can recommend a couple depending on your area if you wish.

Back