Rent assistance, my renter and me

The politicians in our country get away with more... dont worry. RBA's retarded decision making on IR literally will cost me many thousands of dollars because they cant make up their mind whether to raise or lower interest rates... paying 500 a week on a 285 K mortgage is bullsh|t at todays interest rates.

Anyway thanks for the comments, threads closed.

And to think you are old enough to vote.

Scary.

There are no "degrees" of honesty. You are either honest, or you are dishonest.

Well that was all an interesting read.

I just wish i could pay my taxes direct to those that want to "juggle" the system. It would surely save the gov't plenty of time and cut out the risk factor for the other parties.

I just wonder if they would have to declare my taxes as income :confused::confused::confused:

dont do it

I agree with many others here, you are going down the road of fraud

1/ you will considered defacto by centrelink and she will need to declare your income as she partnered to you, own bank account wont cut it

2/ not sure of ages here, ie if we talking youth allowance or austudy but people on austudy dont get rent assistance anyway

Centrelink can bring any address up and see who is living or recieving mail there so as they say its not if you get caught its simply when!

My company has just fired 2 graduates because it found out that they were both being done for Centerlink fraud.

One had claimed 2 allowance at the same time and the other did something with single parent benefit.

They had to be fired because they handle money and can't be trusted. They have just had their careers ruined because the HR people talk to each other and they will never get another job in the industry in Queensland. They may even have to leave Australia to get work because they wont get a reference. Either that or go work in a fish and chip shop.

And it was really small amounts of money too....

And if we catch another one they will be instantly fired too.

I agree with many others here, you are going down the road of fraud

1/ you will considered defacto by centrelink and she will need to declare your income as she partnered to you, own bank account wont cut it

2/ not sure of ages here, ie if we talking youth allowance or austudy but people on austudy dont get rent assistance anyway

Centrelink can bring any address up and see who is living or recieving mail there so as they say its not if you get caught its simply when!

Hold the horses.

1. She is living with her friend now. She still has some of her bank account letters send to my address but that doesnt matter as people can have different postal addresses.

2. She IS now entitled to rental assistence as she is on full time study and pays for rent, bills and food at her friend's.

So she doesnt have to declare anything related to me.

Wollah.

My company has just fired 2 graduates because it found out that they were both being done for Centerlink fraud.

One had claimed 2 allowance at the same time and the other did something with single parent benefit.

They had to be fired because they handle money and can't be trusted. They have just had their careers ruined because the HR people talk to each other and they will never get another job in the industry in Queensland. They may even have to leave Australia to get work because they wont get a reference. Either that or go work in a fish and chip shop.

And it was really small amounts of money too....

And if we catch another one they will be instantly fired too.

That's because there some people who think that centrelink are dumb and have no clue how to catch out crooks. Also centrelink has two departments, the one that pays and another that cross checks the payments and asks for money back a year or two down the track. Ive had to pay back some money to centrelink cos they miscalculated my payments when I was truthful with them.

I also have a friend who lived at home with his parents while doing full time study, got austudy AND rental assistence by claiming he lived with one of our friends... he NEVER got caught.. why? Cos centrelink cant detect stuff like that and will not hire investigators to pursue $50 in extra payments per week.

I am not saying its right or wrong, but if people can get away with it, they will do it.

If you dont think its fair, then so be it.

A similar situation.

Owner of PPOR working interstate and o/s lets mother and sister live in the house. Both mother and sister contribute to the running costs of the house. Mother is on pension and sister disability pension. Centre link ask if the mother is paying rent and replies 'no she only contributes to the running costs of the house'. Centre link advises to claim rent assistance.

Owner now married wants to sell and everyone move into a bigger house. Does this now mean the owner will be up for CGT if selling?

So Y33, did she end up getting rent assistance? If so, her pension would have been less wouldn't it? Would have been better not claiming it in that case as I see the owner now having to pay CGT. Surely, if it was 'rented', no matter the cost, he was getting an income from it. Was he claiming bits and pieces at tax time as if it was an IP?

And isn't there something to do 'arm's length' deals as well? Sorry not much help really, so I'll just shoosh now...

Maybe we could start a new sub forum, with a title along the lines of "underhand techniques" or something like that.

If i have 10 kids, with all the rent assistance, austudy, baby bonuses, maybe even every child can use the fhog to buy the house from one another, damn, we'll be rolling in it!

Back