Rental shock horror report - The CourierMail

This artlcie in The Courier Mail, Brisbane reads as though rental housing in SEQueensland is completely unregulated and on a par with some undeveloped country.

Title: Brisbane renters fall through the loop due to lack of guidelines, basic living standards needed
http://tinyurl.com/Brisbane-rental-criticism

There is a comments section. It is disappointing that the editor didn't require some balancing views from owners and the rental industry.

The big push is on to influence the new government to introduce more regulations and conditions.

Queensland Shelter executive officer Adrian Pisarski said he'd seen one couple rent out a chook pen in desperation.
Great idea - I should have put some beds in mine earlier :cool:

She said overcrowding, mould issues and getting repairs to property were just some of the challenges for tenants too scared to `rock the boat' for fear of retribution from landlords.
As long as they scrub away the mould and look after the chickens there should be no problem ;)

I'd be more than happy to provide some really cheap housing for the "lower income earners" mentioned in the report...

Just don't expect any "hog-tieying" bloody Resi contract conditions to go with that.

Rule 1 would be:

"All your welfare and/or wages payments will be credited straight into the Landlord's Trust account from CES and/or Employer."

Rule 2 would be:

"After weekly rent in advance is deducted from your direct debit payments, the Landlord will reimburse the Tenant the difference to live off."

Rule 3 would be:

"All damage to the property will be paid for by the Tenant out of the direct credited wages, then the rent will be deducted, then the Tenant can have what's left to live on.

I get the feeling there is a bit of "cutting off your nose" going on with this scenario in that report.

I would wager there are plenty of really cheap rentals available up there, but they would be very ordinary conditioned properties, so they don't want to pay for them..

But, that's the state of play, so you have to cop it.

As I remarked in the first post there seems to be a campaign being waged to introduce more regulations and conditions. Maybe the changes in WA have encouraged lobbying.

The Courier Mail has another article today where it has discovered a 'Slum Lord' for public outing and humiliation.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/welcome-to-the-house-of-the-rising-slum/story-e6freon6-1226380954503

It's amazing that places this bad still get people willingly signing up to live there. No-one holds a gun to their head (I know if you are desperate you'll do anything, but still...)

It's also amazing that the Council are still pursuing him for $500k of unpaid rates. When does the line get crossed enough that they take action and haul his @rse into jail for a very long time. sheesh.

THE rental situation has become so dire people are renting chicken pens and garages just to maintain shelter according to accommodation support groups.

Has this been reflected in rental increases in QLD? Can't say I've noticed large rises in Brisbane

It's amazing that places this bad still get people willingly signing up to live there. No-one holds a gun to their head (I know if you are desperate you'll do anything, but still...)

It's also amazing that the Council are still pursuing him for $500k of unpaid rates. When does the line get crossed enough that they take action and haul his @rse into jail for a very long time. sheesh.

I am wondering if this is a case where the Brisbane City Council has required that the owner retain the houses as character dwellings and there is some head butting going on. Along the lines of owner wants to demolish and redevelop but Council wants the present ones renovated. Frankly, who would want to pay an economic rent for those styles of houses if they were renovated?

Still, it does seem that there are interest groups out there pressuring for more rental regulations and are using that as an example.

Has this been reflected in rental increases in QLD? Can't say I've noticed large rises in Brisbane

It is an egg-beat, but it is being driven by some interests.

On the other hand property owners don't seem to be interested/organised in getting the ear of the new government.

As I remarked in the first post there seems to be a campaign being waged to introduce more regulations and conditions. Maybe the changes in WA have encouraged lobbying.

The Courier Mail has another article today where it has discovered a 'Slum Lord' for public outing and humiliation.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/welcome-to-the-house-of-the-rising-slum/story-e6freon6-1226380954503
I recognized some of his houses, always assumed they were just elderly owners who were cash poor but had the expensive asset they weren't able to upkeep and didn't want to sell, for a rental property this owner should be forced to lift his game. Not that the courier mail is to be taken for truth without careful checking but if what they say is true about this land lord then he deserved his airing in the paper.

The point of the OP was that there was a claim being made that the Qld tenancy regulations were somehow inadequate and allowed 'slum lords' to flourish. See the inflammatory newspaper leader for instance,
Brisbane renters fall through the loop due to lack of guidelines, basic living standards needed.

Whereas to the contrary, the tenancy regulations are quite comprehensive and in fact do have remedies for necessary repairs. On top of that the Council also has remedies where there are dilapidated buildings and health risks. Possible too, that there could be disagreement about redevelopment - zoning, maintaining character and other matters that have nothing to do with the tenancy regulations.

However the question for owners is what 'enhancements' to the regulations are being proposed, by whom and what consultation will occur. Are some advocates trying to find problems for solutions they have in mind?

Back