Renting out Tents?

Many people say that a house is a necessity, but I disagree. I think that a house is a luxury good because it is possible for a person to live in a tent.

If this recession gets really deep and companies cut employee work hours in order to cut expenses, I am sure many workers will be forced to save money. One way to save money is to stop renting a large house or even a unit and to instead live in a tent.

I predict then that investors who own caravan parks that rent out tents for permanent living would be better off.

Is this a good idea? Tents are much cheaper to make. Does renting out tents provide a stable income?

I wouldn't live in a tent and 99.999% of the people I know wouldn't either
so this is not a good idea I'm afraid.

Holidaying and camping is ok but can't compare with living in a house where you are safe, you have your privacy and are protected from the weather

I think in the order

house > apartment > cabin/demountable > caravan > tent

especially in Melbourne when it can get cold in winter (unless you have a Mongol yurt).

Besides, as ziggy say, you might have to pack up your tent house every day, or you might find it missing when you come back from shopping or something....again, unless you have a yurt with a couple of mean looking Mongol horsemen hanging around the aforementioned yurt....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Tent, hahahahaha... im creative not that creative though, i could set a tent up on a balcony in a unit and sublease, or do a subdivision, and put 20 in my back yard :)

on a serious note, tent NO, however a caravan in lower class areas would be fair.

i was looking @ doing this a yr ago

i found some cheap 1/4 acre blocks with homes, opposite station 30 min train 2 city for $300k. house would rent for 220pw at the time. i was going to throw like 5 vans in the yard with a portable amenities block and rent em $120pw cash (like a granny flat) thatd be $600pw. however council busts you its pack up shop with this gig. it is more then possible. start up costs for 5 vans would be anywhere as low as $2k a van = 10k + say 10K for a portable amenities block (or make a proper bathroom block with 3 toilets 3 showers) so $20k would be returning $600pw CASH.

if you get busted you can sell ur vans and your portable shower block and get your $20k back :)

so yes there is potential for being creative.

well said sue, however looking @ some of the immigrants in the units i see around tents may be luxurious.

(not being racist)

just stating they live with 10 ppl in a 1 bedder unit.

Last edited:
well said sue, however looking @ some of the immigrants in the units i see around tents may be luxurious.

(not being racist)

just stating they live with 10 ppl in a 1 bedder unit.

how does that actually make a tent more luxurious than a unit ? electiricty, walls roof (i.e. more than a sheet of plastic for shelter from the elements etc

how practical is this idea for anything longer than a short holiday ? ...

Woos,woos, woooooooooses.:rolleyes:

I have absolutely no fears of having to end up fending for myself in the event that it may become necessary. Then again, I am a bit of a bushy and that is where I would head.

Living in tents can be quite comfy. I spent the first 7 years of my life living in one, well it was three or four I think. My father was a driller/prospector and anywhere that held minerals would become home for as long as it lasted. I did not spend any length of time in anything else until I went to boarding school at age 7 and then could not wait to get back.

She'll be right, can do, bring it on..............ad infinitum. What has happened to the Aussie spirit??

It is amazing what you are capable of in a pinch.

You guys /gals have all educated yourselves about REI, now (if you are that worried) go do the same for survival without money. Learn about growing things, (veges and guiney pigs and rabbits) hunting, fishing, drawing water from trees, collecting bush fruit, which so called weeds are edible etc, etc, etc..........

Psst.............the worst that can happen.............you could end up with what you started with!!!;);)

Go figure.

Cheers.

Chrisv

Chris, you're damn right. Its been drilled into to me how lucky I was compared to my parents and their generation of family 1/2 my life, Ive never lived through war. When need arises you can do just about anything as I have heard

this topic reminds me of a saying from my old man whenever i forgot to close the door behind me

'were you brought up in a tent? NO, then close the bloody door'

Living in Tents

I have lived in a tent twice, but only for a number of weeks. First time was in the UK working and waiting for my wife and kids to arrive, and spend a few days in the tent before settling into something a little more 'luxurious'. And then again in Cairns for a couple of months while waiting for the tenants to move. In both situations, we stayed in Caravan/Camping parks to make use the facilities.

As for renting tents, I think it might be a very small market and for short term only. It's hard to imagine somebody not being able to afford a tent and thereby having to rent a tent long-term.

However, given the present economic situation and the likelihood people will out and about looking for work, it's possible that the tent may be preferred among some people, but I think the market for renting will be in the land the tent sits on, and not the tent itself.

Can't believe I'm writing on this topic, but hope it somehow helps with your curiosity.

this topic reminds me of a saying from my old man whenever i forgot to close the door behind me

'were you brought up in a tent? NO, then close the bloody door'

We must have been posh then in our house as my oldies would ask whether I was brought up in a barn!

If this economic recession really hits, we are going to see many job losses, which means household income for many people will drop. Many companies choose to reduce employee working hours so they can hold on to their workers. For many it may be a necessity to live in a tent. For others, living in a tent will save them a lot of money, which means they are able to save up more.

How you define need and want often depends on your income. For a multimillionaire friend of mine, a mansion in Brighton or Toorak is a necessity. For a mere millionaire, which is probably the average Australian, then a standard house with a garage, driveway, fence, and so forth is a necessity. For lower class people really struggling, a tent or caravan is a necessity. For those living in poverty ($1 per day) then a tent is a luxury good.

What this recession is doing is it is forcing people to reduce their standards of living. It is forcing them to define what is a necessity and what is a luxury. Often when incomes increase, what used to be a luxury good is perceived as a necessity.

First the economic crisis was a financial crisis and it hit mainly the wealthy who tend to invest in shares (usually with borrowed money). Hence people in wealthy suburbs got hit and most price declines happened in wealthy suburbs (see Mansions Go Begging as Wealthy Dump Luxury Homes and House Prices Fall in Top Suburbs).

What we are seeing now is the financial crisis spreading like a cancer into the general economy, causing an economic recession that affects just about all sectors of the economy, not just the finance sector. We are seeing many sectors cutting wages or jobs, e.g. car manufacturing and clothing. This will hit the average working family and force them to move to more affordable accommodation. Hence the tent market should boom.

It all depends on how serious this recession will get.

How you define need and want often depends on your income. For a multimillionaire friend of mine, a mansion in Brighton or Toorak is a necessity. For a mere millionaire, which is probably the average Australian, then a standard house with a garage, driveway, fence, and so forth is a necessity. For lower class people really struggling, a tent or caravan is a necessity. For those living in poverty ($1 per day) then a tent is a luxury good.

I'm guessing like others, I'm surprised I'm posting in this thread...

OK so I'm having a look around the house
Garage? Check
Driveway? Check
Fence? Only on three sides

I'm a mere millionaire :D unless I lose points for not having a front fence... Back to lower upper middle class it is :(

And who lives on $1 a day in this country? Isnt the dole over $200 p/w? Also if that's your target market how much do you propose to rent the tent out for? $1 per day does not leave much for tent rent after food

Back