Renting with GF my own home

Mate I've asked the same type of question here and got the same type of responses from the same people. I for one know exactly where you are coming from. I have no problem whatsoever splitting assets that are accumulated after commencing a relationship, but it's utter ******** that you can spend years and years doing the hard yards workwise, overtime, second jobs, savings your *** off etc and then have someone come along and claim half of it. That so many people on here seem to baulk at what is a fairly important concept (asset protection) is quite amazing to me.

Having said that I don't believe these dafacto laws were brought in to allow people in situations such as yours claim half your stuff. natmarie has it pretty well covered in her post.

Having been in relationships I thought would last forever I say you can't be too careful!

Maybe when a person is in a long term relationship where both partners share the same goals, and both work hard towards those goals then the perspective is quite different. Its not that we are all naive and think that all marriages will succeed. If GoMichael left the money would be the least of my losses. I also strongly believe that if my focus is to protect myself against him (whatever that would mean) then I would achieve far far less.

I can't imagine being in a realtionship where one person is not pulling thier weight or not sharing my dreams so I can't comment from that perspective.

Life really is short and the only way we can protect ourselves is avoid relationships, don't invest, never start a business, never cross the road. I am not prepared to bunker down - life's too short!

There are nicer ways of sharing the costs of living then charging her rent, like she pays for bills, or for food etc...

And if she isn't sure (and you sound like you aren't sure either), why live together?:confused:

He could also count the money saved by having sexual encounters available at hand. Each encounter can be worth anywhere from $30 to $200.

This can quickly add up.

I went down that path IF And it plain and simply didnt work. in fact i was getting bitter at the amount rents were going up which i couldnt pass on to myself and the gf. so we decided that it would be best if we rented somewhere else and rented my place out properly. put my mind at rest about the situation and was able to just enjoy the relationship.

I went down that path IF And it plain and simply didnt work. in fact i was getting bitter at the amount rents were going up which i couldnt pass on to myself and the gf. so we decided that it would be best if we rented somewhere else and rented my place out properly. put my mind at rest about the situation and was able to just enjoy the relationship.

Yeah well I need to live in the house for 6 months to get the first home buyer's grant.. so who knows.. maybe after I can move out somewhere else and rent...

FYI, it varies by state but usually you have to be defacto with someone for about 2 years for them to get half. A bit of googling should give you the figure for your state. Having children changes things dramatically, don't go there if there is any doubt.

Already well past that myself, I'm defacto over 3 years + a baby now, and when he moved in with me I had everything (house, car, furniture, super, etc etc) and he literally had nothing. He's entitled to half now, and I don't have a problem with that. He's helped enormously with renovations, and his dad has thrown in various electrical work for free.

Back