Renting

Hi, I am a single mum of two (aged 7 and 4) and I am currently riding out a 90 Vacant possession notice. It came about when the Owner wanted to paint the house and upon inspection I am sure he was shocked at the house and how much it really does require to be up to building inspectors standards. I have lived here for 4 yrs and have always been on time with my rent and water bill payments. In fact I paid my weeks rent yesterday and I am paid up until the 7/6/11. :cool: My problem is, I have until 26th of June to be out of this place. I have in fact applied for 6 properties (2 of which were today, so won't know until next weeks) and 4 prior to which 3 of them came back with a "No" another I never got a reply and it has since been deleted (one that I got a no for, is back on the rental list). I live in country N.S.W and the only issue that the real estate has ever had was my lawns were once a little over grown due to the fact I had just spent time in the psychiatric ward, so I could not get to do the lawns for obvious reasons, to which I explained but it didn't seem to matter. The only other issues they had was having Palm tree's that had shed the long things (haha I am sure you will understand what I mean :D ) and being I don't drive, I enquired about getting it taken away, it was going to cost me $500 to which I couldn't due to the fact I work 1 day a week and being a single mum, I couldn't afford it. So within a few weeks, I managed to pay a friend to help me get rid of most of it, and just recent my ex helped me to get rid of the rest. Now the issues about the "NO's" I have been getting; I went to my real estate today to get a rent ledger for a house I applied for, my property manager (Who might I add has been ringing me telling me if I don't get out by the time I am suppose to, they will take further action, also she is rather rude about the whole things) told me that not one person had rung up to get rent ledgers or references off of them. My question is, have they automatically put me onto the TICA as to why the other real estates haven't been ringing them, or is it the fact that I am a single mum who earns approx $160 a week from my place of employment (yet they're aware I receive centrelink benefits as well)? I feel discriminated against personally. I am trying my best to find a place in the required time frame, but it feels like I am not even given the time of day. If they decline you, are they obliged to say you're on the TICA? Or do we personally have to spend the $5.45 a minute to find it out? :confused: I am getting frustrated, and being I suffer with mental illness, it's not making my cause any better. I find myself getting upset over the fact no one will give us the time of day and the chance that we may very well end up homeless or having to live in a motel until such a time we're actually given a chance. My youngest starts school next yr, so I will be back to full time work, but right now I am working on day a week as I can't afford to send my daughter to daycare. I have been at the same place for 10 yrs. Any insight would be much appreciated, as well as advice.
Thank you for your time :)

Unfortunately centrelink + single mum puts you at the bottom of most agent and landlords list of desired tenants. You may be the worlds best tenant but the stereotype will work against you.

One thing to keep in mind is that in NSW a notice of vacant possession or termination cannot make you homeless - the tribunal will extend the time if needed.

In your situation I would look at trying to rent privately, have a look on gumtree.com.au and post an ad, many private landlords use that to locate tenants.

I am not sure how tight the rental market is in NSW at the moment, but I can tell you if it is tight and we receive a large number of applications, a lot of the time we will select the best 3 on paper process those and discard the rest. However in your case as above it appears that perhaps this isn’t always the case.

I will be honest... on paper if your application came over my desk I would probably not think to great about it, on paper just the bare facts without contacting anyone regarding rental history I think even you would agree that there are better looking tenants on paper at least (I am sorry if this comes across as harsh I am just trying to be honest) so what can you do about it?

Are you simply submitting the basic application form? If so that is half your problem.... attach a covering letter, get a written reference from your current agent, get a print out of your tenancy ledger. All of these will allow the PM to see straight away that perhaps even if your basic info doesn't allude to an ideal tenant, you have proven yourself to be in your rental history so that will encourage them to delve further and get more information.

Are you meeting the PMs of the properties you are applying for? we often work off our 'gut' instincts. If you meet them then they can see for themselves what kind of person you are, hopefully dressed neatly, well spoken etc that will totally change the concept of who you are in basic info - single mum, 2 kids $160 per week on welfare, to a person who is takes pride in their appearance (and in their home) who is well spoken and despite being on welfare has the capacity to pay the rent and look after her home.

I would love to say that as a society we are accommodating of all types of people, but unfortunately in PM we get burnt way too many times and have to make assumptions, have to make generalisations and have to expect the worst out of everybody. it is up to the tenants to convince us otherwise....

Are you simply submitting the basic application form? If so that is half your problem.... attach a covering letter, get a written reference from your current agent, get a print out of your tenancy ledger. All of these will allow the PM to see straight away that perhaps even if your basic info doesn't allude to an ideal tenant, you have proven yourself to be in your rental history so that will encourage them to delve further and get more information.

I completely agree. The main issue is one of trust, and the cover letter is your main way of building trust with the PM / landlord. I suggest that you say a bit about your circumstances so that they get to know you a bit.

I felt bad for you when I read your story. In my day job, I write a fair few words, so I wanted to take 5 minutes to give you some suggested words for your letter. I hope that you won't mind, or feel like I am being intrusive. Anyway, here goes:

Dear x,

Thank you for the opportunity to inspect the property at <insert address>. When I saw the property, I felt like it was a place I could call "home" for me and my family, and so have attached my application.

When you read my application, you will see that I am a single parent, earning Centrelink payments, with additional income of $160 per week. Let's be honest - you may have concerns about renting to a single mother who is receiving welfare payments. I understand, and know that you want to find the best tenant for your property. I also want a good relationship with my landlord, and want you to be comfortable that I am someone who will pay my rent on time and will look after your place in the way that you would look after your own home.

Like many of us, I want stability for me and my children and a home that I can be proud of. For me, that means paying my rent on time, and taking good care of the house where I am raising my kids. Being a single parent means that I work extra hard to set a good example for them, and taking responsibility for my home is one way that I do that.

I would love to rent your home, but also want you to be comfortable, so I have attached some information which I hope will put your mind at rest. The attached reference and rental ledger show that I have never been behind in my rent, and my previous agent will be happy to verify all the details.

I appreciate you considering my application.

Yours sincerely
Name

I completely agree. The main issue is one of trust, and the cover letter is your main way of building trust with the PM / landlord. I suggest that you say a bit about your circumstances so that they get to know you a bit.

I felt bad for you when I read your story. In my day job, I write a fair few words, so I wanted to take 5 minutes to give you some suggested words for your letter. I hope that you won't mind, or feel like I am being intrusive. Anyway, here goes:

Dear x,

Thank you for the opportunity to inspect the property at <insert address>. When I saw the property, I felt like it was a place I could call "home" for me and my family, and so have attached my application.

When you read my application, you will see that I am a single parent, earning Centrelink payments, with additional income of $160 per week. Let's be honest - you may have concerns about renting to a single mother who is receiving welfare payments. I understand, and know that you want to find the best tenant for your property. I also want a good relationship with my landlord, and want you to be comfortable that I am someone who will pay my rent on time and will look after your place in the way that you would look after your own home.

Like many of us, I want stability for me and my children and a home that I can be proud of. For me, that means paying my rent on time, and taking good care of the house where I am raising my kids. Being a single parent means that I work extra hard to set a good example for them, and taking responsibility for my home is one way that I do that.

I would love to rent your home, but also want you to be comfortable, so I have attached some information which I hope will put your mind at rest. The attached reference and rental ledger show that I have never been behind in my rent, and my previous agent will be happy to verify all the details.

I appreciate you considering my application.

Yours sincerely
Name

Thanks CDRO

Your heart felt input and care is a true reflection of why Jan and Ian Created Somersoft in the first place ( my interpretation BTW)

ta
rolf

Also you could add that you are willing to use centrepay to pay your rent. That way it guarantees your rent to be paid straight out of your centrelink payment.

Great letter. Im a private landlord that manages my own IP's and definately would consider someone that would write that letter and has the back up of references to go with it.

Good luck to you!

Just the basic information, single mum, welfare etc would mean I would give other applications a first look. Basically on the assumption you would struggle to pay.

When I had an older property Centerlink had a system that they paid rent direct to landlord. Not sure if that is available still but might be an option.

A good reference from last manager and the rental ledger vs the basic form would make a big difference.

Edit:
I highly doubt they would have put you on the TICA unless you have been constantly missing rent. A messy garden is almost a given with rentals unfortunately so one instance of that I would not worry about.

Your average PM wouldn't know how much you get on Centrelink anyway. Its often more than someone working.

FTA - $160pf x 2
FTB - $135 + 95pf
PPS - $625pf
Rent assistance - $136pf
Work - $320pf (probably doesn't reduce benefits as you're single, if you were partnered that takes benefits away at 50c in the dollar over $60pf which is stupid if you ask me).

So there you go. Equivalent of loosely $42k a year *after* tax.

Thank you all, you have been helpful. I do understand that Owners and/or Real Estates will look upon "working classes" first and foremost, that's without saying because they obviously have a stable job and can always pay their rent. I however, do receive Centrelink benefits and it's also a guaranteed source of income currently. I would actually give anything to be back in full time work, but my handicap is my 4 yr old who doesn't start school until next yr. Currently the rate of child care has gone up to $8 an hour, my daughter goes one day a week from 9:30-4:30 and even of late, I have been unable to send her cos of the extra cost onto us. No, it won't send me broke to send her, but I do believe there are more important things to currently spend or save money for i.e a new place to rent/ need bond. I don't get the average PPS as most of you I am sure think I do. I get approx 440 p/f PPS, I pay tax of course (even thought I don't need to) and my current 1 day a week work, I don't actually pay tax on because I am 30/40 dollars bellow the tax threshold. So each fortnight, on average I receive $527 FTB A/B $440 PPS and $320 from my work place, which equates to $1287 p/f. My current rental is $460 p/f the place I am really wanting is $340 p/f and I can easily cover it, as well as my bills, get shopping etc and still have some savings (As I plan to within the next 5 yrs buy a house). I have given solid references to each and every house I have applied for, but I am in agreement, if I write a letter with each one I apply for and ask my references not only be call-able, but write a personal reference it may very well help my cause. I am hoping for some positive news next week about one of the current places, but I thank you all for your advice. It's much appreciated! :)

Wish I had someone like you handy to rent my house out to when it inevitably won't get sold and gets rented out in a few weeks lol

Back