Repair Vs Capital Improvement

Hi,

I purchased an investment property brand new almost 4 years ago. It came with a brand new dishwasher that was valued at $1887.00 new in the depreciation schedule (which was done when I first started renting it out 4 years ago).

The dishwasher has now broken and the written quote has deemed it unrepairable as a new motor cannot be obtained. It doesn't seem to be through malicious damage its just wear and tear or simply broken.

The property is currently negatively geared.

A quote for a replacement (different brand and not an 'ideal' fit for the space) is in the range $725 to $855.

I do plan to sell the investment property to buy a PPOR, and I don't have an exact time frame, but it may be as soon as a couple of years time.

The current tenants are domiciled overseas and likely to return home at the end of their current tenancy agreement at the end of November.

I am debating the following options:

1) Simply replace the dishwasher. As repairing the old one is not an option, and the quoted replacements are significantly less than the original one, I am wondering whether this might be considered a "repair" rather than a "capital improvement" for tax purposes? However, if it is deemed a capital improvement, how much of this expense am I likely to see back through tax in a couple of tax years through depreciation? Would it likely be written off in the first 1-2 tax years? As very rough guide how much of that money could I expect to get back through a tax refund - either it being defined as a 'repair' or a 'capital improvement' ?

2) the other option would be to rent one just until the end of November. This cost would appear to be in the region of $13 - $15 per week. I'm not sure, but I think these rental contracts might be for about 18 months though. It may also reduce the rent I could achieve when attempting to re-rent without a working dishwashing fixture.

Property is located in a blue chip inner city suburb so no issues with being able to re-let, although the end of tenancy is getting a tiny bit close to Christmas and I actually did have a bit of difficulty finding tenants in December last year.

Your thoughts on the best option?

'Capital Improvements' means building work. That stuff depreciates at 2.5%pa.

A dishwasher is a Depreciating Asset. It depreciates more quickly - especially if you use the Low Value Pool.

Wylie is right.

Option 1 - replacing the dishwasher - The written down value of the existing dishwasher effectively becomes a deductible expense - i.e. lets say the dishwasher has been written down to $500, then you claim the $500 as an expense. The new dishwasher is depreciated at 10% or if added to the Low Value Pool then the depreciation rate is 18.75% for the first year and 37.5% subsequently.

Option 2 - Written down value is deductible as per option 1 when scrapped. Rent payments for the dishwasher are fully deductible.

Personally I would go Option 1 but its up to you to do the sums on your tax rate and future plans.

Back