Repairs vs Dep Assets vs Capital Works Deductions

Hi

I had to have the main circuit board replaced in my IP's pool chlorinator. It simply restored the efficient operation of the unit.

Is it a repair or a depreciable asset? pg 33 of this pdf 'Rental properties
2011' has it listed as a separate row item with a effective life.

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/IND00270214N17290611.pdf

Also a clothesline was installed to replace the existing one with rusted support poles and sagging line. Is a clothesline only claimable as a capital workds deduction?

Low Value Pool is for Assets, not Capital Works items.

The ATO regard clotheslines as Capital Works i.e. 2.5%

You would probably be fine claiming the other things as a repair.

Hi guys

Clothesline

1 - what if it was not a full replacement but just a new pole to replace one out of 2 poles.
2 - Initially i thought the clothesline would be considered plant or an asset as it has a 'separate visual identity' but I suppose the other criteria (pg 25 of above linked pdf) such as

'extent to which it was intended to be permanent'= indefinitely permanent..
'the incompleteness of the structure without it' = houses are generally assumed to have a clothesline

outweigh its separate identity making it a capital works deduction at only 2.5%

Circuit board for Pool Chlorinator

It is a single part but as mentioned above I also find it listed on pg 33 of pdf 'Rental properties 2011' has it listed as a separate row item with a effective life. Therefore a chlorinator is considered a single unit which in tandem makes up the pool equipment. However I am talking about a part inside the unit, the circuit board does not comprise the unit as a whole so surely this pushes the 'repair' option?

If i have to concede its an asset, then at $600 cost, I assume I can put it straight in the low value pool at 18.5% (1st income year added) rather than use the 12 year effective life?

3rd question - Service work on pool equipment

A basic service, $285, was carried out on all the pool equipment to ensure its workability - does this fall under maintenance and therefore 'repairs'. I note some of these parts required items like small seals to prevent leaks therefore in a way the work was also fixing the early stages of existing deterioration.

Replacing some bits of a clotheline = repair/maintenance.

If the circuit board is part of the chlorinator and you are only replacing this bit = repair/maintenance.

Servicing the pool stuuf = repair/maintenance.

Of course, the above is assuming that the problems arose while the property was rented out.

Hi depreciator

My current accountant seems to think I have to put the chlorinator in as a depreciable plant/asset item, our difference must be because he thinks the chorinator is entirely made up of the circuit board.

What about roof insulation batts? Capital Works deduction at 2.5% ? i was told it may not even be a deduction but have to become part of the cost base. ie. I get no tax benefit until X years in the future when I sell it.

I assume then, its very important to critical, what the invoice from the tradesman,supplier says? ie. the wording

'Replace in full' vs 'replace part of or replace section of, repair' etc.

Back