Replacing a ceiling

I have a sagging ceiling in one of my bedrooms (PPOR) and have been quoted $1500 to fix it (not replace). Seems excessive to me. I've never replaced a ceiling before, but plasterboard is cheap and so is hiring a panel lifter. Can this be done by a newbie in a day? Any hints/tricks I should know about?

Or should I just stump up the $1500?

Cheers

Last edited:
Seems a bit excessive to me also,better get another quote.
If its sagging all it will need is a couple of screws,plaster and paint.

Replacing a ceiling is not that hard,just rip down the old one and the cornices,
Buy the correct amount of gyprock,cut it to size,screw and glue it up there,buy the cornice,(This is probably the only real problem cutting the miters,you can buy a cutting guide from bunnings anyway)Hire a plasterer to set the joints and possibly set the cornice,you can plaster yourself but it will never look professional.
Sand and paint.

Any hints/tricks I should know about?

You will be surprised at the amount of dust, dirt and general crap that falls out when you pull the old ceiling down.

Also, not particularly hard to do, I've laboured for a ceiling fixer on occasion and I'd be game to give it a go on my own place.

Why is it sagging?

Is it that the plaster has let go of the ceiling joists - the wood above the gyprock or is it that the wood joist have sagged?

These are two completely different problems and solutions.

If it's just a cas of the gyprock having let go and sagged slightly then it's as painter has mentioned you can just rescrew the gyprock, fix the cracks and paint.

If the problem is that the wood has sagged then that is a much more serious problem. You would need to get a big bit of timber into the ceiling that can act as a hanging beam 240x50 or similar.

http://toolboxes.flexiblelearning.n...ems/02_conventional_roof_framing/page_003.htm

generally you will need to remove tiles to insert the timber into the roof cavity.

You will then need to lift the sag from underneath and then attach all the sagged joists to the hanging beam.

As before fix up any damage to the gyprock from underneath and paint.

In neither case should you need to remove the existing gyprock.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies,

Why is it sagging?

It sounds like it's just the gyprock which has let go, there was no mention of a hanging beam in the quote: "your ceilings are cracked and sagging due to lack of support. The straps holding your ceilings to the main roof supports have become brittle and have snapped"

What was in the quoted works?

The proposed fix is to "push the ceilings back to their original position and support them. Gain access to roofspace by removing rooftiles, cleaning out debris/dust and re-secure the ceiling with a second fixing using fibreglass straps secured to the joints every 400-600mm." They will fill cracks, re-plaster damaged areas and sand (not paint).

I really hope I can avoid replacing the whole thing!

Are you using these guys? As they are saying same things as per your quote.

If not then there is a second trady to get a quote from.

http://www.homeimprovementpages.com.au/connect/ceilingrenovation/service/76832

Here are other comments re the same job

http://www.renovateforum.com/archive/index.php/t-101082.html

I like the idea of screwing the gyprock every 300mm which your guy may not have included.

I would think you wouldn't even need to strap if the bow isn't to strong and try and push the screws out again.

Cheers

Are you using these guys?

I would think you wouldn't even need to strap if the bow isn't to strong and try and push the screws out again.

I am actually, talk about a generic quote!

So since my ceiling is plasterglass with horse hair straps, is re-strapping the only way to fix it or can I just push it back up and nail it to the beams?

Not knowing really what is the primary cause of the sagging. If its only the straps that have let go, not so bad. If its the nails holding the battens in place then this needs to be fixed and then the new straps installed once the ceiling is pushed back in place.

I dare say it would be cheaper to pull out and resheet.

Brian

I am actually, talk about a generic quote!

So since my ceiling is plasterglass with horse hair straps, is re-strapping the only way to fix it or can I just push it back up and nail it to the beams?

in the old days of horsehair ceilings they held the horsehair ceiling in place with supporting frames thes mixed some plaster of paris roughed up the top of the sheets then laid strands of horse hair mixed with plaster over supporting beams in the roof cavity to hold the ceiling in place ,
as these have broken screwing the ceiling is the most sensible and cheapest way around your problem ,every 150mm around the perimeter and every 300 mm into roof beams/framework

As Arms said that's how those ceilings where done.

Id screw the ceilings myself by finding the roof trusses on either side of the room, mark and chalk line between the two. This will give you a guide as to where the trusses are and screw along line. Work out where each truss is and do the same again. If your house is old hardwood make sure your screws are not to long as the will snap off when screwed in, probably around 32mm should work well.

Id then get plasterer to come in and stop up for day, Id sand and paint myself lot cheaper then $1500.

Dave

Oh, awesome. After I gave you his details I had a bad feeling he would be too busy, as he's renovating his own house at the moment.

Back