replacing doors

Hi guys,

Am thinking about replacing old doors in a Sydney IP. They are older style hollow doors that have cracks and some creak and bow in with a litttle weight on it (e.g. if one leans on it). Would anyone have any recommendations on replacing 9-10 internal and 1 external door?

Thanks in advance

when replacing any doors, if possible try to match the new doors with the vintage of the current house. even though you want a new look you still should try to retain the feel of the era of the house....

Regards
Peter S

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Peter,

Agreed, I want to retain the original look and feel, just want to update it. I went to Doors Plus and was quoted $10k for 10 internal, 1 external doors and handles etc. This may have something to do with me selecting the solid timber stained doors, however this is the only way retain the original look and feel.

when replacing any doors, if possible try to match the new doors with the vintage of the current house. even though you want a new look you still should try to retain the feel of the era of the house....

Regards
Peter S

yes, solid timber doors are going to set you back a bit but they will look the part and be very durable and withstand lots of hard wear and use! the stronger the door the better I say.... if you can afford them! I'm sure your place will look just great with this update...

Regards
Peter S

Please remember to seal the timber before you instal them, especially the external door. Especially the bit on the bottom that some professionals will forget about. Marine varnish is our friend.

My builder BIL will no longer buy from doors plus. not cheap and has had problems with doors.
you really need to consider the price with relation to the property worth. If it's a cheaper property $10K is a big % of the value. Are they going to look any better than cheaper doors? look for specials too.
Remember it's an IP so outgoings matter if it's not going to increase your incomings.

What about demolition yards? It would take time to get matching doors, but this could be cheaper than buying new (although some demo yards do seem to charge like wounded bulls).

I bought doors from Bunning, They were Hollow core Hume doors.

I went to Hume Doors best price i could get was $89 on sale,

Doors Plus had a similar door for $97 and one day i went to Bunnings and they had the Hume door i liked for $52.

Bunning also have a huge range they they do not display just ask for the cataloge at the trade counter for the brand you want. and get a handy man to fit them alot cheaper that Doors plus.

We have Hume Oakfield doors here replacing ones the previous owners kicked to splinters. Had the same at the last house, and are getting same in the house we are building.

They cost $50 each at the local hardware store and look lovely in a heritagey colonialish style house.

I bought doors from Bunning, They were Hollow core Hume doors.

I went to Hume Doors best price i could get was $89 on sale,

Doors Plus had a similar door for $97 and one day i went to Bunnings and they had the Hume door i liked for $52.

Bunning also have a huge range they they do not display just ask for the cataloge at the trade counter for the brand you want. and get a handy man to fit them alot cheaper that Doors plus.

I was going to suggest the same. Unless this is a high end eastern suburbs property renting for thousands per week, people aren't going to pay $10 extra rent for more expensive internal doors.

Sure you need to take into account that the life span of a solid door will be longer (less maintenance), however if you buy the cheap door and it is smashed up by a tenant beyond easy repair, take some of their bond and spend $100 on another new one.

I doubt you were going to go ahead with the $10k door package, but for the same money to increase rent you could spend $2k on cheaper doors w/handles and have $8k to redo a kitchen/bathroom.

10k on 10 doors ? 1000.00 per door ? Wow.

We're replacing all internal doors & the front door for 500.00. As mentioned Bunning have a pretty good range of doors and at very reasonable prices.

Sure you need to take into account that the life span of a solid door will be longer (less maintenance), however if you buy the cheap door and it is smashed up by a tenant beyond easy repair, take some of their bond and spend $100 on another new one.
In this house, several doors were smashed by the tenants living here before it was repossessed. They were solid wood doors. Don't underestimate someone with steel caps.

Just my 2 cents worth, I would consider a solid door for the entry door.

As for the internal doors I would use something like Oakfield (depending on the style you are after).

This will be a LOT cheaper without losing the appeal. I cannot see you recouping $10k doing door make over so to speak.

Brian

Bunnings $27 bucks for one.

Heaps of entre doors on ebay, my last one was a leadlight I got for nothing,
won 6 sets of solid bifold doors for $9.99 and they gave me the leadlight door.
The upstairs balcony leadlight door cost me bit more $25,another ebay purchase.:D

*bump*

Would anyone in Sydney be able to recommend a handyman to install some doors in an apartment?

Edit: security door and a folding door.

Carlingford.

Also after a recommendation for a cabinetmaker to do something for a study, what's the odds of finding a cabinetmaker who can also install doors lol

Asking for recommendations for a friend who isn't a member of this forum.

As an investment property, investing $10K on doors is not something we would ever do. Solid door for front & rear entrances and hallow for the rest :)

10k on 10 doors ? 1000.00 per door ? Wow.

We're replacing all internal doors & the front door for 500.00. As mentioned Bunning have a pretty good range of doors and at very reasonable prices.
Yep, I'm picking up some from bunnings this w/end. They look decent and are only $50 each.

Cheers

Jamie

Laundry Doors

Laundry doors in our residential home swelled in rain, despite that I took them off and sealed top and bottom.
(took 4 years for damage to appear, but doors are bit thicker and despite re-sealing it again, I suspect it will keep getting worse with every heavy rain and western wind)

Is it possible to shape up (trim the swelling) seal permanently against future swelling, or door has to be replaced?

Read on "Doors Plus" page about "Solid FLush Doors, Climative Fibreglass" that seem to be far superior to what we have.

Local (25 km away) store is closed on Sunday, so will ask them on Monday regarding price with delivery only, or if it has to be also fitted by them.

Does anybody else sell doors that can be sprayed with water and it won't affect the doors?
(Don't want metal doors as it will be probably too heavy for domestic frame)

Thanks in advance for any help

Back