requested to include utilities in rent, thoughts?

hello felow forumites

I would love to see what experience and thoughts people have in a situation where i am being asked to rent a furnished apartment with very nice ocean views at a premium rental price, but as a extra sweetener if i include power, water, electricity (with a cap) company will pay another $110 per week.

Offer is very attractive and i suspect they will use utilities to the max, where i am unsure is how the ATO treats something like this arrangement. Do i simply declare rent component and utilities allowance as "rent paid" and simply claim cost of utilities as expenses like any other?

Particular apartment is presently my ppor, and utilities all in my name. Would i keep them in my name or ask providers to rename to mr xyz c/o me or simply ask providers to bill "the occupant" which i have seen before and bills sent to me or agent?
I obviuosly will have power bill phone bill etc wherever i move to and would think having two power bills in my name etc could look dodgy although many people do such as when have holiday house etc

Any ideas or examples people can provide would be much appreciated

cheers

Peter

yes
same thing as if you would rent it out room by room
all the utilities would be part of the rent and you would claim it as business expense

there is no problem to have bills for different properties to your name, you might just have to ask them to separate the bills, cuz last time i had two phone accounts telstra was sending me 1 combined bill

I have done this, added $100/wk for electricity to be included and yes they do use it to the max. Outside lights left on all day and night, air cons running with the door open at times. If I were you I would include the amount of extra rent paid as a cap in case thngs get out of hand.

I frequenty include utilities for short term stay or a premium rent. I agree that a cap might be good insurance although I have never done so myself.

Back