Research process - sorry if wrong forum!

Hi everyone,

I was actually referred to this forum by some longtime lurker friends. After reading through a lot of old posts I've learnt a lot already. However, unlike my lurker friends (Hi!), I'd like to contribute and ask a few questions.

Quick background. One property so far in Sydney, looking to buy again (one or two), flying to Darwin next week to holiday/look around.

From my stock investing background I've always thought it's important to be able to ask the right questions when considering a purchase. Macro then micro. So I ask the question whether anyone else has this kind of mechanical approach, and if so what kind of questions and if you use any spreadsheets/websites to help you answer these?

e.g
Macro : What is the population growth?
What are the new major developments/projects?

Micro :
How many schools nearby?
Land size? etcetc

I've always found this kind of approach frameworks a systematic research process but most of all helps in containing emotion.

I searched around a bit - and I can't help feel that there must already be a thread like this out there, so apologies in advance.

Any example approaches/tools/spreadsheets/criticisms !

Hi everyone,

I was actually referred to this forum by some longtime lurker friends. After reading through a lot of old posts I've learnt a lot already. However, unlike my lurker friends (Hi!), I'd like to contribute and ask a few questions.

Quick background. One property so far in Sydney, looking to buy again (one or two), flying to Darwin next week to holiday/look around.

From my stock investing background I've always thought it's important to be able to ask the right questions when considering a purchase. Macro then micro. So I ask the question whether anyone else has this kind of mechanical approach, and if so what kind of questions and if you use any spreadsheets/websites to help you answer these?

e.g
Macro : What is the population growth?
What are the new major developments/projects?

Micro :
How many schools nearby?
Land size? etcetc

I've always found this kind of approach frameworks a systematic research process but most of all helps in containing emotion.

I searched around a bit - and I can't help feel that there must already be a thread like this out there, so apologies in advance.

Any example approaches/tools/spreadsheets/criticisms !

Maybe we should have a beer while you're here? Im happy to talk about what Ive learned about the local economy, things are looking quite rosy just quietly too.

It's on the web

Hi Seanry,

your resources should you choose to use them......

1. LGA website - will give approximate population, population projections for the next 10/20 years, capital works projects etc.
2. Bureau of Stats website
3. Google maps/Google earth for schools etc.
4. the local chapter of the Urban Development Institute of Australia will put you in the loop with major developments
5. see if you can read the local paper on line, this will give you valuable advance info on the dodgy parts of town, and conversely areas on the up turn.
6. Consider subscribing to a reporting site eg. rpdata, pdslive, myrp, Terry Ryder etc

Have fun!

Back