Residential Renovation Courses

Can anyone recommend or point me in the direction of any good renovation courses they've attended (privately run or tafe types), or any books, dvd's, cd's etc?? ...Preferably WA based courses.

Looking for anything specific or just 10 ways to lay a brick?

Barry, Mrs Rix is interested in a change of vocation and muted an interest in that direction. I think she would do well plus it would also compliment our existing property empire adding another string to the bow. :)

Investor's Choice

Hi Rixter

If you want really good value for money try Jane Slack-Smith from Investor's Choice. We attended a reno course she ran in Sydney recently and she really knows her stuff - she's got a substantial property portfolio and is also a very knowledgable mortgage broker.

http://www.investorschoice.com.au/

T&T

I commend your wife. That is fantastic.

I had similar thoughts a few years ago while my partner and I were running our investment companies and so I went and did specific courses one by one: tiling, plastering, rendering, waterproofing, landscaping, etc and have since used all those to not only work on our properties when I've needed to, but also to negotiate better with tradies and perfect the process to find the best order of renovating as well as which things bring the best returns and for which purpose (some are better for cashflow - rent, while others bring better returns for cash - selling).

I have run a number of events and presented at others, but they have all been based in Melbourne. Even though I'm in the wrong state feel free to email or message me if you get stuck or need advice and I'll try and help out.

Wishing you every success,

Ana

I've not tried them but was wondering if the Bunnings courses are any good? They are fairly specific to certain jobs but as an intro this might be just the ticket for you guys. Plus you actually have someone in front of you who can show you stuff and you can ask questions. I'm no reno expert but most of the things I've learned were on the job and just trying them out and picking tradies brains as they were coming through to do the more skilled stuff.

Have fun - I love renovating!!

kaf

Thanks everyone for the information.

Mrs Rix is not so much interested in the DIY hands on the tools side of things, more the overall renovation project management co-ordinating all the tradies and what work creates the best value adding in terms of CG overall.

Thanks everyone for the information.

Mrs Rix is not so much interested in the DIY hands on the tools side of things, more the overall renovation project management co-ordinating all the tradies and what work creates the best value adding in terms of CG overall.

Hi Rixter

In that case I can very much recommend the Reno-Kings workshop. I did the property to the max workshop end of 05 and while it was dear (I think 2.5k) I've since reno-ed a small block of flats and saved I think 10-times that at least, and as I was project managing it I probably saved even more. There was quite a bit on general IP investing as well (finding locations, finance, legal etc.) so your wife might find that a bit basic given the experience you guys have.

What I also liked about the course also was that it pretty much introduced you to the who's who in residential IP education (or spruiking as some here might say ;)). Sure they all have products to sell but just listening to Peter Spann, Rob Balanda, Bill Zheng etc. was good and gave me the feel I got a good grounding in the area. I've not had the need to give these guys business or spend any more money on seminar other than the odd $99 to hear the Michale Yardeny or Bill Zheng Roadshows to see what's new and meet people.

I went to the last Zheng roadshow few weeks ago and heard Carley from C-Corp speak. She's doing development / reno workshops which are very expensive (6-10k for a study program) but she came across pretty well and if your wife is thinking about development but doesn't know where to start it might be worth considering. I've not seen any independent feedback about her yet, but thought I mention her name.

Nothing I learned at the Reno Kings was secret knowledge, groundbreaking or couldn't be learned in hundreds of hours of reading. The main thing it gave me was the confidence and the knowledge that I've learned the basics and haven't missed anything fundamental.

It's a bit like doing a course at Uni - those lecturers don't have any secret insights either but they have the overview over the field and know what are the important basics to teach you and show you how to filter information.

From then on it was just jumping in and seeing how to put these things into practice.

PM me if you'd like any more detailed info on the course (keeping in mind I did it 3 years ago).

Cheers

kaf

Investors Choice - Renovating for Profit

Hi Rixter,

I would also highly recommend Jane Slack-Smith of investors choice. The quality of the info she provides is fantastic especially for a course costing less than $100. Jane has loads of reno experience and isn't afraid to share some costly mistakes she has made along the way. I have just finished a reno using Janes techniques. The reno cost was 40K and I've just had a bank val of 210k of increased equity. Thank you Jane! I've been investing since 2002 and have a few mil of property now and I gained lots of really useful info from Jane (you can never know too much!). I would also recommend jane's course for beginners though as she shows you how to locate good investment property, perform due diligence and structure the purchase. Check the website out www.investorschoice.com.au. She runs courses nationwide.

Best of luck with your future renos.

Kelly

Thanks T&T and Kelly...I will pursue it further. Does Jane's course concentrate more on the overall renovation project management co-ordinating all the tradies and what work creates the best value adding in terms of CG overall, than the hands on tools DIY?

Thanks also Kaf for the detailed post.

Investors Choice - Renovating for Profit

Hi Rixter,

The course is definately not a DIY course. The only finger I lifted was the one I use to call my tradies. The course focus is on project management, cost analysis, ensuring you get the biggest bang for your buck, the best spends to add value and how to avoid unprofitable expenses and value destroyers. She also shares the phone numbers of the tradies she uses. The roofer she uses (and I now use) came in at 50% cheaper than two other quotes I had. The other good thing about the course is that Jane shares lots of information and pictures of renos she has done along with the cost analysis and profits.

Kelly

I have just attended a one day renovation workshop run by a intelligent multi-skilled woman by the name of Jane Slack-Smith. She is a qualified engineer, mortgage broker and is an active investor with a property portfolio most would envy. Her strategy and focus is adding value by renovation. I found her course to be very useful for anyone from absolute beginner to moderately experienced. In total, their were about fifteen people at the workshop (many already Jane's clients) so group interaction was easy. Cost for the day was $99, though this will rise next year. You won't get better value than this for the information given. At the end of the day, you leave with templates and links to many useful websites. I have attended numerous seminars and receive info from multiple sources (reno kings, metropole, investors direct, BIS Shrapnel, Midwood report, RPData etc). If you want "to the point info" on how to build wealth through renovation you should check out this site http://www.investorschoice.com.au/index.shtml

Last edited:
Back