Residex - worth it for their "special" offer?

I missed the ACA story last night on "where to buy" - still I would have had to sit through the rest of the show, so I reckon it's no great loss. It appears that Residex have a special "ACA" offer of 5 quarterly reports for the price of 4. I'm not sire if this is a limited offer or just the same offer they normally would have but rebadged.

What are the thoughts on the Residex reports? Would it be worth shelling out $300 for 5 quarterly reports, or is this money better spent on their targeted reports (like top 100), APM/Home Price Guide products like their online subscriptions (per suburb) or something else again?

Cheers

Hi B2
For my two cents worth. I reckon the residex guys could stand back and throw darts at a map and still get it right, simply because whatever they say in regard to property then becomes gospel because the herd then go out and do what they recomend. An example from the TV last night was in the seachange catagory for each of the states and it listed O'Connor for the ACT.
the ACT isn't even on the coast and it is a fair walk from O'Connor to the lake. But no dout O'Connor realestate will benefit for the mention on national TV as will Deakon and Gordon the other ACT suburbs mention by the survey.
Having said that I still believe residex boss John Edwards to be well in touch with the Oz property market trends.
Regards
Simon

As for the Perth report:

For First home buyers: Leda (just near Kwinana).Dunno...Kwinana is a really bad area to live (IMHO)...but the prices sure are cheap.

For Seachangers: Mindarie! Well, this is simply a suburb in the metro area. Not exactly a seachange experience.

For "upgraders": Cottesloe. Fantastic suburb, I think one of the best in Australia...HOWEVER...the MEDIAN price is now well and truly over a MILLION dollars, it is the third most expensive suburb in the whole city!

SO...quite an upgrade.

Its like saying to a Commodore owner that a nice upgrade would be a Rolls Royce. Sure is!!!

In summary - crap report.

totally agree it was a crap report, and I knew it would be but still watched it.

Anyone from perth would agree that the suburbs chosen were ridiculous choices

sorry my 2cents

I expected as much from ACA - commercial current affairs died a long time ago (I remember Mike Willisee as a kid...). I am interested in what people think of the Residex reports though - as compared to Home Price Guide etc.

Kingbrown,

I didn't see the show. But last year when Hegney in association with Residex put forward some predictions - Leda was in their top three.
I went and checked Leda out thoroughly and believe it may achieve good growth on the back of the Wellard Village infrastructure. The train station will be some 700 metres from some parts of Leda - this is were I believe the real value is. A 100 metre walk across a park will get you into Leda. I believe shops and cafés are on the agenda. Leda will always be second class to Wellard - but it will be a cheaper option.

Yes I did see some "dead beats" in Leda - but as prices rise due to the "luxury" of having such amenities close at hand - I would expect this to change. I got the impression it wasn't as bad as other parts of Kwinana.

I believe it do be a dark horse. I have read that the completion of the village and its facilities could be 10 years away. I believe real good growth won't kick in until these are established so I am surprised Hegney / Residex rate it so highly.

And did I buy there?

No. The time frame for really good growth was too long in my opinion.

I went for Rockingham and without even lifting a paint brush I have seen $30k growth in 3 months since signing the contract.

Regards

Keen

I thought it a little odd that New Farm was nominated as the Qld suburb recommended for "upgraders". This area is predominantly units so I would have thought people upgrading would have traditionally gone for areas with more houses and quieter streets- think Hamilton, the Bay areas, Red Hill etc

Hi Guys
Ten months ago at a "Reno Kings" conference John Edwards made a prediction that Gladstone in Queensland would be a place to invest in the near future. As I remember, he based his prediction on the fact that Gladstone is the deepest port in Queensland and the current asian market demand for raw materials.
At that time I hopped onto realstate.com.au and had a look at the realestate available for sale and rent to find that the market to be way over supplied with rentals and houses for sale at that time giving me the impression that it was not yet time to invest for any imediate return.
I checked out the current gladstone property market out again this morning using the same web site and found a slight improvement/ tightening of the rental market but still no sign of the number of properties for sale showing any significant tightening in proportion to the population of the town.
Gladstone also has had a bit of a set back because of national publicity in regard to that oil spill a week or so ago.
There may be some forumites out there who are closer to or live in Gladstone the area that can maybe qualify or despute my remote results/asumptions in this regard.
I would be very interested to hear from you.
regards
Simon

ex:Gladstone local

Simon,
I grew up in the place, left 10 years ago, but still visit lots, have property there still. It has been the next big thing for a long time.

Having seen a lot of other major industrial centres, eg. Brisbane, Newcastle, Wollongong and the west - comparitively Gladstone has not had a lot to attract people. But that is changing, Boyne/Tannum (only nice beach) has developed nicely, and Gladstone council must have recieved a nice boost from 2003 boom, as it upgrading lots of the town facilties.

I am not going to sell in a hurry.

Anges Waters - I don't begin to understand!:confused:

Roger

Hi Dodge
Thanks for that. I think I might go up and take a look for myself in the near future. I have a friend who made a real lot of money out of buying into Newcastle when it was down in the dumps a few years ago.
Kind regards
Simon

Back