Responsible landlords?

I saw this article today:

Anguish and anger over Daniel's death

To me, the landlords (Matthew and Jenny Todd, of Melbourne) acted pretty irresponsibly. I'm surprised they even let out the house without checking that the modifications that they had made to the pool enclosure met Australian standards. The result of which, sadly, was the death of a child. It seems, from the article, that they just didn't care.

I saw that a few landlords on here were complaining about the cost of installation and upkeep of smoke alarms in their properties, that they are renting out. But, if it at least, helps, and I can't see how it would hinder, saving a persons life, it seems very callous, to me, not to.

Do landlords make sure their houses are safe before letting them out? Should they?

As I recall, no-one was complaining about smoke alarms, rather someone had a PM that was charging expensive fees to have it checked, when all that is neccessary is to press a button.

That would make more sense, I must have missed that thread. Geez, I'd just send someone around to do it for free, would take all of 1 minute per house!

i had a hills hoist rust off at the base and fall on the tenant - perhaps i shud've had a swing on it before letting the house :D

i had a hills hoist rust off at the base and fall on the tenant - perhaps i shud've had a swing on it before letting the house :D

Hi all

Lizzie that's just wear and tear. Pools are a different matter. My reno friend has the IP nest to my reno, it has a pool - no fencing and nor auto doors/windows to the area. There is a family with young kids renting it. I expressed my concerns to him a few weeks ago B4 he let it. He did nothing.

If anything happens he should have his A*s sued off.

As far as I can remember re pools/spa fencing etc.

- If putting in a new one now it has to be fenced or auto closing doors/windows to the area. and a garage door (in carport type situation) was ok as fencing
- If installed prior to a certain date, you have to have the fencing in by, now I cannot quite remember I think it was by 2007 or 2008.
- If sold B4 this date the new owner have I think 6mths to install the fencing.
- Also, I believe that garage door and the auto closing doors / windows would not be allowed anymore either.

All I can say is, if you buy or are thinking of buying an IP with a pool, down load the pool fencing regulations and see what needs to be done to the pool to make it SAFE as possible.

I would be absolutely crushed if any thing happened to a child because I was to stingy to fix it!!!

Yeah, I am defiantelty with you, Celeste, on this one, especially given the landlord had been taken to tribunal and ordered to rectify the situation. He/she must be feeling terribly guilty now. I think, particularly in regards to pools, that safety is paramount, and that is why there is legislation in place.

I think, however, that if was going to rent a property with a pool, that before I signed any lease I would be ensuring the home is safe for my children. It's no good moving into a property that is clearly unsafe, then asking for it to be fixed...this accident could have happened well before the tribunal was involved, and really the parent has to take some responsibility for putting the child in an unsafe environment - a massive, terrible price to pay...

Nadia

This is tragic and to think that the tenants had even taken the landlord to tribunal previously to get the door fixed. I would think that not only should a large compensation payout be made, but also criminal charges.

It was not an accident, it was totally preventable, the landlord was aware of the problem.

And what the hell is the tribunal doing giving several months for repairs. The order should have been 7 to 14 days. :mad:

Regards

Andrew

Hi all

Pools are a different matter. My reno friend has the IP nest to my reno, it has a pool - no fencing and nor auto doors/windows to the area. There is a family with young kids renting it. I expressed my concerns to him a few weeks ago B4 he let it. He did nothing.

If anything happens he should have his A*s sued off.

As far as I can remember re pools/spa fencing etc.

- If putting in a new one now it has to be fenced or auto closing doors/windows to the area. and a garage door (in carport type situation) was ok as fencing
- If installed prior to a certain date, you have to have the fencing in by, now I cannot quite remember I think it was by 2007 or 2008.
- If sold B4 this date the new owner have I think 6mths to install the fencing.
- Also, I believe that garage door and the auto closing doors / windows would not be allowed anymore either.

All I can say is, if you buy or are thinking of buying an IP with a pool, down load the pool fencing regulations and see what needs to be done to the pool to make it SAFE as possible.

I would be absolutely crushed if any thing happened to a child because I was to stingy to fix it!!!

Celeste

I totally agree with you.

However, now that you are actually aware of the issue, I believe you have a moral duty-of-care to advise the council (anonymously perhaps), of the situation to ensure that the pool gets inspected and made safe.

I'm assuming your friend is self managing as I don't think any PM would allow this to occur lest they be sued.

Although technically it is not your problem, imagine how you would feel if there was a tragedy with a child that you knew could have been avoided.

People need to be made responsible and whilst he might not necessarily see it, you would actually be doing your friend a favour.

Good luck.

Mr Cahill said yesterday it was important for landlords and tenants to be informed of their obligations, but parents were the first line of defence against such tragedies.

"The [safety] campaign should not only be directed at pool owners and proprietors, parents are responsible for the care of their kids," Mr Cahill said.

I absolutely agree that the landlords should have fixed the door straight away. But what were the tenants doing to let it go many months after the hearing? I would have been onto the Prop Mgr weekly if it were an issue for me.

But I also agree with Magistrate Cahill's comments regarding parents being the first line of defence - especially young kids and pools. The least they could do is ensure the door is locked and access to the pool is difficult for the little guy.

I absolutely agree that the landlords should have fixed the door straight away. But what were the tenants doing to let it go many months after the hearing? I would have been onto the Prop Mgr weekly if it were an issue for me.

Or fix it myself and chase the landlord for the costs of repairs.

I haven't seen the article, but I'm reading at work at the moment that the Canberra Times printed an apology to the Todd's on 20 Oct in relation to the article printed on the 19 Oct - referenced above. Interesting to see what 'bit' they got wrong..

Back