RHG chairman's agm address to shareholders

Makes for interesting reading:-

"ASX Announcement Thursday, November 11, 2010
Chairman’s Address to 2010 AGM
As a consequence of the sale of its brand and origination business to Westpac, RHG ceased originating mortgages in 2007. Since that date, the company’s focus has been to increase its tangible net worth by refinancing its warehouses on acceptable terms and by maximising the income it receives from its mortgage book.
As at 30 June 2010, RHG had a mortgage book of $5.1 billion. The book is amortising at the rate of 2.9% per month. By 31 December 2011, provided it can be satisfactorily refinanced, the company expects its mortgage book to have reduced to $2.9 billion. At this level, the book will cease to make a meaningful contribution to the tangible net worth of the company.
The company’s non-compete undertaking with Westpac expires in January 2011. Your directors have been actively assessing the viability of re-entering the first mortgage home loan market.
The Australian conforming first mortgage home loan market comprises prime mortgages and self-certified mortgages (sometimes called low-doc mortgages). Under a self-certified mortgage, the borrower certifies his ability to repay. RHG’s competitive edge has always been in the self-certified sector of the mortgage market. However the recent introduction of the National Consumer Credit Protection Act, 2009 (“NCCP”) makes it an unacceptable risk for a lender to make self-certified loans. Under the NCCP, the lender (rather than the borrower) must determine the borrower’s ability to repay the loan and determine the suitability of the loan for the borrower. If the lender does not do so with the required level of diligence and documentary evidence, then the borrower’s obligation to repay the loan may be negated. Because of lack of history or lack of documentary evidence it is difficult for a lender to apply the required level of due diligence to loans to new entrants to the workforce, to itinerant employees, to part time employees, to contract employees and to the self employed. These are the persons who historically used self-certified home loans. Ultimately common sense will prevail and the NCCP will be amended. But until then, home loans will be denied to the majority of these borrowers.
Even if the company could originate acceptable credit home loans, it must also be able to fund those loans at a competitive rate. The alternative to bank funding is to securitise the mortgages and to issue Residential Mortgage Backed Securities (RMBS) into the capital markets. There is a small RMBS market in Australia but this is not available for self-certified loans and is not available to the non-bank sector. The principal RMBS markets are the Euro market and the US market. Both of these markets have been closed since the GFC with no likelihood of reopening in the foreseeable future. When they do ultimately reopen, it is believed that that they will reopen with a significantly higher premium for risk. It will be many years before RMBS will return as a competitive source of funding for Australian home loans.
At the 2009 Annual General Meeting, I advised that, if by 2011 the company has not identified a superior investment opportunity, your directors will distribute the company’s funds to shareholders in an optimal manner. Your directors do not believe it commercially prudent or commercially viable to re-enter the Australian mortgage market either now or in the foreseeable future. Similarly
your directors have not identified an alternative investment proposal which they believe to be superior. Consequently your directors now intend to return the company’s funds to shareholders.
The company’s assets are principally cash plus some non-cash assets. The non-cash assets consist of

The likely net future income from the company’s mortgage book

Some subordinated debt and cash collateral

Some impaired mortgages that the company has been unable to sell or refinance.
The value of these non-cash assets to a bank or financial institution that can refinance the warehouses is significantly greater than the value of these assets to the company. Consequently your directors have retained Deloitte Corporate Finance to seek a purchaser of these non-cash assets. The outcome of the Deloitte tender process should be known by early 2011.
In early 2011, if approved by shareholders, the company intends to make an Equal Access Buyback Offer to all shareholders. An income tax ruling is presently being sought to the proposed buyback offer. Subject to the income tax ruling and the outcome of the Deloitte tender process, the likely Equal Access Buyback Offer will be an offer to all shareholders to purchase all of their shares for not less than 88 cents per share (1 cent capital and 87 cents dividend) plus a franking credit of 30 cents per share.
The Equal Access Buyback Offer and the proposed sale (if any) of the company’s non-cash assets will be subject to approval by shareholders at an Extraordinary General Meeting. At that meeting, shareholders will be advised of the outcome of the Deloitte sale process and will be provided a report by an independent expert, a report by the independent directors and an update on the status of the income tax ruling.
John Kinghorn
Chairman
Further media enquiries
Matthew Horan
0403 934 958"

I am surprsied the run off is only 2.9% / month thought it would be more than that considering rates on those old Rams no doc loans are ?? what say 9.5% pa

I quit my 2 RHG No Doc loans...got sick of their highway robbery. I originally signed with them when RAMS was RAMS prior to the split. They were semi decent then.

Earlier this year I refinanced the NO docs over to full docs via Homeloans Ltd with Adelaide/Bendigo loans. Picked up 2.5% in cash flow savings.

Nice share price action!

The rise in share price today makes RHG now my largest holding. You know what they say about rather than complaining about fees to buy the shares in the bank ... :D

personally I have a moral issue with holding bank stocks. They are a fake business gouging the weakest members of society whilst the executives all have a good feed from the trough and grow fat. The pressures that RHG placed on borrowers was immoral and shameful (and remains so). Corporate greed at its ugliest.

I heard or saw a really good discussion the otjher day about the governments breaking point in their attitude towards banks, because they are simply sucking too much out of the economy

Banks a fake business?

If banks are a fake business, what does that say of the many on here who rely on them to run their LL businesses?

Is a bank gouging its customers any different from a LL gouging its tenant with rent increases? Both are driven by the market.

The immoral part is the implicit and at times explicit government guarantee that allows bank executives (not necessarily shareholders) to reap the upside profits and be saved from the downside risks. It leads to mispricing of risk and a malfunctioning market.

Is a bank gouging its customers any different from a LL gouging its tenant with rent increases? Both are driven by the market.

If I was 1 of only 4 landlords in the country and my business was gtd by the govt and I was deemed too big to fail and I could lift my prices willy nilly then I could accept the tag.

is there any market in mortgage rates? From what I see you take it or you leave it

RHG are parasites. Its sickens that they are making massive profits while charging some people over 10% still because of 'cost of funding'. I agree they should be allowed to raise rates so they dont make a loss but this blantant profiteering should be outlawed. Im sure the margins RHG are making now are far greater than before the gfc. Any profits they make should be paid the people they have swindled. Same goes for macquarie, citibank, GE and all the other parasites that put their rates up massively because of the gfc and have kept them their just to rip off their clients.

don't understand... I have to eat food, if i buy it from Woolies and they may happen to be mongrels does that make me a mongrel :confused:

That you buy food from Woolies shows that they are a real business providing you a service. That people borrow from banks shows that there is a market for people borrowing from banks and that the banks are providing that service.

If I was 1 of only 4 landlords in the country and my business was gtd by the govt and I was deemed too big to fail and I could lift my prices willy nilly then I could accept the tag.

is there any market in mortgage rates? From what I see you take it or you leave it

But banks can only continue raising their rates so long people continue to "take it".

But banks can only continue raising their rates so long people continue to "take it".

true. if you look at the 2nd rate parasites that are worse than the big 4, with say a $30k exit fee the breaking limit on a rate is pretty high. In fact probably way higher than $30k's worth if the borrower has no equity in their house. As The Former Poster Known As Dazz said -it is highly unusual to find a commercial contract that allows one party to unilaterally change the terms of the contract in their favour. Rams version 1 know that people can't leave and that they have free hand to charge whatever interest rate they like. Nor have they any interest in their goodwill or attractign new clients. The customers are like captured white bait in a net, trapped and no where to go and they are all such small fry that no one gives a stuff about them... other than Swann of course, tut tutting and all - those poor wait bait, it's so cruel and just shouldn't happen. tutt. tutt.

Back