Rick Otton on the USA

A good read. Thanks for the link.

It just reinforces what I say... no one looks after your interests like you do ... but gee wizz... some of the actions mentioned about the PM's there are downright criminal and fraudalent, I am no fan of most PM's here in OZ but they seem almost pofessional now!

Has anybody here read the ebook referred to in the link "Seeking Fortune in New York State ......Is It One BIG Snow Job?" and if so is it worth it??

cheers,

RightValue

What an absolutely fascinating read,. Always thought if it sounds too good..... and wondered what the catch(s) would be, now I know. Thanks

I'm sorry; I just can't let this stand (again).

Rick's article may do a fine job of promoting sales of the e-book, but I'm intrigued that somebody with experience as a landlord in the USA would publish something so misleading and full of errors of fact.

I'm sure it wouldn't be to scare people into buying the e-book to avoid non-existent traps. :rolleyes:

Rick's article may do a fine job of promoting sales of the e-book, but I'm intrigued that somebody with experience as a landlord in the USA would publish something so misleading and full of errors of fact.

I'm sure it wouldn't be to scare people into buying the e-book to avoid non-existent traps. :rolleyes:

Hi ozperp,

Can you elaborate on which part of the article is "misleading" ?

I am not saying its not misleading but would like to know which part you think is "misleading".

Thanks.

I loved the bit about the lightbulbs and how the Septics won't change one.

It's a bit general - in fact the whole article is that way, but in many ways so true.

Basically; if you are going to own single family residences; you need to self-manage over there, and all the investors I met do that.

I agree, i think he is so full of his own self, full of BS in my opinion.

Hi ozperp,

Can you elaborate on which part of the article is "misleading" ?

I am not saying its not misleading but would like to know which part you think is "misleading".

Thanks.

In a typical australian brick veneer or weatherboard house, the timber frame is the strength of the construction, the brickwork is simply (veneer) or cladding and does not provide any structural strength at all, obviously this is different in a double brick type construction, so that is the first issue.

Big Tone

Secondly, yes you could damage the compressor of an air conditioning system if you do not clean the filters regularly but, a lot of HVAC systems in america are central gas furnace systems with add- on cooling which basically means that a compressor is only used for the cooling cycle and gas is burned for the heating cycle and with a blocked filter the "safety devices" on the system would trip causing the system to stop functioning (protecting the compressor from burnout) or there would be a distinct lack of heating or cooling performance (and the same could be said for the reverse cycle heat pump types).

1) "American management companies can't get money to Australia." Obviously money can be transferred to Australia. Anybody who doesn't do that is a charlatan. Charlatans can exist anywhere. There's no reason to suggest that a PM in the USA is inherently more likely to embezzle your money than a PM on the other side of Australia.

2) Light bulbs. US tenants have the same obligations to replace light bulbs that Australian ones do. As in Australia, if your tenant calls out an electrician to change a light bulb, you can charge the cost back to the tenant.

3) Vacancy rates and having to have everything "new". The same would apply in Australia if you invested in an area with high vacancy rates. There are areas of high and low vacancy rates in Australia and the USA (though admittedly the overall average is higher in the USA).

4) Charging for non-existent repairs, or repairs not required: As per point 1, this is about the honesty of the PMs. You need an honest PM, whether the PM is across the other side of the city, across the country, or across the world.

5) Air-conditioning units are abused by tenants in both Australia and the USA.

6) It's far from universal to have an ice-maker. If concerned about it, simply don't provide them.

7) "Americans don't pay rent." Well, of course they do. They do seem to have a higher rate of rent default, but the landlord has many more powerful remedies available to them in the USA than we do in Australia. So overall, it's no more of a problem in the USA than in Australia.

8) Replacing bathroom floors every few years. I can't comment authoritatively, but it just doesn't sound right. The few landlords and homeowners I've spoken to haven't replaced bathroom floors and all had tiles.

9) Blocked toilets. As per the light bulb issue, if it's the tenant's misuse that has blocked the drains, they have to pay for the unblocking.

10) Cars in the swimming pool. Also not the landlord's responsibility; cost to tenant.

11) Being told you have tenants when you don't. As per points 1 and 4, this is about fraud by your PM, and can happen anywhere.

12) Charges for mowing lawn by city. If a house, the tenant should maintain the lawns, and the PM should ensure they do. If an apartment, you should be paying for regular yard maintenance anyway.

13) Charges for towing. How on Earth could a landlord end up with a bill for towing a car (not owned by the landlord), that's parked on public property? How would the city even know to associate the car with your property? This just doesn't pass the common sense test.

14) City selling your property out from under you. Yes, there are tax lien sales, but there would be registered letters etc sent first, just as in Australia. Of course, you do need trustworthy people looking after your asset and collecting your mail. Nobody I've spoken to has ever heard of the scenario that Rick outlines having happened.

15) City condemning property due to burst water pipes. You do need to be aware of the requirement to winterise and ensure the PM attends to this, if the property is vacant.

16) Can't get a mortgage for properties under $50K. It may be harder, but this is simply untrue. I recall seeing ads for mortgages from $30K, and I wasn't even looking for low-value mortgages.

Back