Right direction for a absolute beginner?

Hi I'm quite young but I've recently started earning a decent wage and was considering saving up to invest in my first property. However I am an absolute novice with no experience whatsoever so before I even do anything I just want to spend the next few months soaking up every bit of information I can.

I was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction?

Good books to read?
Good threads to check out?

I really just want to know where the best place to start is.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, jazz!

For good books to read, check out the following thread:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9652

As for the best place to start ... just keep browsing the forum! There is a tonne of expertise, advice, warnings, tales of peoples' experiences, strategies, etc etc. Then when you've done a bit of reading, start posting and asking questions. There is really no right or wrong approach - just the one that works for you!

Enjoy the journey!

Cheers
LynnH

Jazz, first off, welcome to SS forum.

This is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses.

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis. I've been purchasing IP per year and currently into year 8 of this 10 year plan.

I've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property for several reasons, the main ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ To maximise my Non-Cash deductions
2/ To minimise my maintenance & repair costs
3/ More modern & Attractive to tenants - thereby minimising potential vacancy rates
4/ Ask a higher rent - thereby Maximising yields

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I preferr to purchase Townhouses & Villas with a 30% or greater land component thereby eliminating multi story units or high rise apartments, for several reasons. The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant
2/ lower purchase or entry level into a Higher capital growth suburb area
3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest group of people to ever be born (being the Babyboomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years. They will be wanting to downsize for the following main reasons - lifestyle & economic.
4/ greater tax advantages & effectiveness thus maximises cashflow.
5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio - thereby minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies the area and people like the looks so move in creating demand.

I have found this works well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cashflow will be serviced via Wages in the acquisition stage, Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure, and any other forms of income you have available.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systmatically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. Infact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well thats the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once its set up its a self perpetuating, TAX FREE Income Machine.

For further information please follow the link to this "We've Done it" thread I started some time back.

If you require any questions, just ask.

Hi I'm quite young but I've recently started earning a decent wage and was considering saving up to invest in my first property. However I am an absolute novice with no experience whatsoever so before I even do anything I just want to spend the next few months soaking up every bit of information I can.

I was just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction?

Good books to read?
Good threads to check out?

I really just want to know where the best place to start is.

Thanks.

Hiya Jazz

here's another collection of great Threads to keep you busy

The *search* function is a great tool for the forum

Next best course of action is to ask away ;)

Jazz

The best way to learn about anything is to do it yourself.

The 2nd best way is to learn about and from the experiences of others.

Imo, don't bother with the theory of property investment - not initially at least.

Focus on learning all you can about how experienced investors operate. You'll soon learn that while we all want to have our cake and eat it too, that their are many different recipes.

There are some very good books that highlight the different journeys we all take.

Imo the two best books yet written on actual investor experiences with property are Jan Somers' book Story by Story and (the late) Jim McKnight's "Ordinary Millionaires".

In my none too humble opinion, unquestionably the best place on the SS forum for any complete newbie to start reading is with the interviews section.

There are 15 interviews (and audio files from a Sydney panel event) on that part of the forum. The interviewees range from multi-millionaire investors with many years experience to people closer to the beginning of their journey but who have made incredible progress.

I cannot recommend it enough.

And yes I am biased, I played a bit of a role in getting those interviews off the ground.

Welcome Jazz. You're going to have fun here. Lots of people to share ideas, experiences and strategies.
I follow a strategy very similar to that outlined by Rixter. It's been working well for me so far, so I'm sticking with it.
Having said that, it's most important to find a strategy that is really in alignment with you. Trying to implement someone elses strategy just because it sounds good, isn't always going to bring about the best outcome for you as an individual.
Don't try to learn everything before you get started. Learn enough to get in the game, then learn more as you go. That's what I did and I built up a nice little portfolio while others I know were still going to spruiker seminars and reading every book ever printed on property. Some of them have yet to purchase anything.
Most importantly - have FUN!! If it ain't fun, then maybe your not following your true path.

Hi Jazz

Welcome - Any journey starts with a step - your step.

This forum has lots of good info and advice - a read is good but do something practical too.

Go for a walk around your suburbs. Go to a few open houses, talk to a few real estate agents.

Go for a drive to a "better" suburb or a "less better suburb"
Look at the ads in the newspaper/ local magazines.

Surf the net - www.realestate.com.au - select a price range - see what sells, what comes on the market.

This is all part of the info gathering and learning process apart from researching the resources on this fabulous forum - you will find your own way and do it your own way.

Basically its long term - at least a couple of years or more - not like buying a pair shoes and then discarding it.
It will cost - legal, rates, insurance, etc. etc
Save, save and do not overcommit

As Rob says, also enjoy it along the way. There is always something to learn -

Good journey....

Jazz, first off, welcome to SS forum.

This is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses.

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis. I've been purchasing IP per year and currently into year 8 of this 10 year plan.

I'm new and quite naive about property investment as well. Currently, my strategy for entering the property market is wait a few more months - possibly 6 months - when the house prices drop rock bottom and then buy!

Reading the strategy that Rixter outlined was rather enlightening and informative, and made me think - maybe i dont have to wait. The fact that you can buy in any economic environment was very appealing.. :D So, theoretically, i liked it.

But i realistically, i dont understand how one could possibly buy another property after the first. Being on an average salary, i could find a house that met Rixter's specs. Then with the current crisis, the value goes down... how will i be able to buy another house with the current loan (possibly assisted with rental income) within say a year or two? Simply put, how could i afford it? What type bank would approve another loan to an average earner with a massive debt and a property that has depreciated?

Please help out a naive and cautious buyer. Thanks!!!

Hi Jazz,

Just popped in to say welcome and let you know you have some pretty good advice above!

Good on you Rixter for taking the time yet again to write a really informative, helpful post.

Can't add anymore except to say :

Find your "thing". By that I mean you may or may not like townhouses...or you may prefer free standing houses. There is no right and no wrong.

Don't lose your focus and make the best educated decisions you can.

Regards JO'

I'm new and quite naive about property investment as well. Currently, my strategy for entering the property market is wait a few more months - possibly 6 months - when the house prices drop rock bottom and then buy!

Reading the strategy that Rixter outlined was rather enlightening and informative, and made me think - maybe i dont have to wait. The fact that you can buy in any economic environment was very appealing.. :D So, theoretically, i liked it.

But i realistically, i dont understand how one could possibly buy another property after the first. Being on an average salary, i could find a house that met Rixter's specs. Then with the current crisis, the value goes down... how will i be able to buy another house with the current loan (possibly assisted with rental income) within say a year or two? Simply put, how could i afford it? What type bank would approve another loan to an average earner with a massive debt and a property that has depreciated?

Please help out a naive and cautious buyer. Thanks!!!

Welcome emjay68,

You have got it right! Wait and see what happens in the later part of the year.

As far as lending is concerned, the main criteria depends on:

How much equity you have in your property.
How much income you and/or partner are on.
What your rental return on your first IP will be.

You can use the equity in your home and 1st IP to purchase the next one.....and in these times...positively geared property is back!

Remember: Property is a LONG TERM INVESTMENT. If property prices dive, you need to hang around for them to come back up and beyond.:)

Take one step at a time...but take the first step when you are ready.:)

Regards JO

Find your "thing". By that I mean you may or may not like townhouses...or you may prefer free standing houses. There is no right and no wrong.

So true. That's the cornerstone of my entire strategy. Knowing my thing and working it to the max. Over and over again.
Other strategies (development etc) might seem more interesting or glamorous than, say, buying and holding townhouses, but it only ever works if it is a strategy that is in alignment with and resonates with you.

Welcome emjay68,

You have got it right! Wait and see what happens in the later part of the year.

As far as lending is concerned, the main criteria depends on:

How much equity you have in your property.
How much income you and/or partner are on.
What your rental return on your first IP will be.

You can use the equity in your home and 1st IP to purchase the next one.....and in these times...positively geared property is back!

Remember: Property is a LONG TERM INVESTMENT. If property prices dive, you need to hang around for them to come back up and beyond.:)

Take one step at a time...but take the first step when you are ready.:)

Regards JO

Thanks josko.

I'm still unclear as to how that equity will get there during this tumultuous time. If a house's value decreases, there would be 'negative equity' so to speak right? A house's value would have to increase in order for me to leverage of it for another loan right? Which means i would have to wait longer than a year or two for me to even consider buying a second IP, right? My knowledge about this stuff is SOOO limited, LOL, forgive me if i'm sounding ridiculously stupid!!

Thanks josko.

I'm still unclear as to how that equity will get there during this tumultuous time. If a house's value decreases, there would be 'negative equity' so to speak right? A house's value would have to increase in order for me to leverage of it for another loan right? Which means i would have to wait longer than a year or two for me to even consider buying a second IP, right? My knowledge about this stuff is SOOO limited, LOL, forgive me if i'm sounding ridiculously stupid!!

Hi Jazz,

Equity can occur in a number of ways:

1) Capital Growth - ie the market rises in value over time.
2) It can be created by adding value to a property. (As for example renovating a property, or buying an older house on a large block of land and building a unit on the back)

3) Paying down your loan with your own funds.

You could even use a combination of the 3 above to achieve equity growth and this may enable you to buy another IP in two or three years time.

The great thing about property investment is that significant progress can be made in a short period of time if you are willing to think pro-actively, creatively and most importantly, take action...

Look forward to hearing about your first purchase.

Regards Jason.

Thanks josko.

I'm still unclear as to how that equity will get there during this tumultuous time.

Remember, this "tumultuous time" is only 7 months old and in terms of property, the market seems to be recovering already. Soooo, lets just keep that in mind. Property investing IS long term, 7-10 years minimum for decent returns, and by that time (2019), you will probably have forgotten about the 2009 recession, as most investors here have probably forgotten the early 90s one...

Hi Jazz,

Equity can occur in a number of ways:

1) Capital Growth - ie the market rises in value over time.
2) It can be created by adding value to a property. (As for example renovating a property, or buying an older house on a large block of land and building a unit on the back)

3) Paying down your loan with your own funds.

You could even use a combination of the 3 above to achieve equity growth and this may enable you to buy another IP in two or three years time.

The great thing about property investment is that significant progress can be made in a short period of time if you are willing to think pro-actively, creatively and most importantly, take action...

Look forward to hearing about your first purchase.

Regards Jason.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ok, as i understand it, Equity = (Current market value) - (Purchased market value). So if I buy a house now and then the value of the house goes down from the current crisis, the equity will be negative right? I'd have to wait a while for the value to go up again, pass the purchased market value that is, before i could buy another house right? I mean, there's only so much renovations and paying the loan can do right? I'd have to rely on pure capital growth to get a reasonable amount of equity, and thus allow me to purchase another IP. With that, i'd assume if i buy now and the value goes down, i'd have to wait more than 2 years to at least even consider buying IP #2. Please tell me if my understanding of equity is wrong...

Remember, this "tumultuous time" is only 7 months old and in terms of property, the market seems to be recovering already. Soooo, lets just keep that in mind. Property investing IS long term, 7-10 years minimum for decent returns, and by that time (2019), you will probably have forgotten about the 2009 recession, as most investors here have probably forgotten the early 90s one...

Is it really recovering? I've been reading that house prices are going to hit rock bottom towards the end of this year. And if that is right, i'd rather wait and optimise my chances of building equity much quicker. Although, i do understand your point that this is a long term investment. Thanks.

With that, i'd assume if i buy now and the value goes down, i'd have to wait more than 2 years to at least even consider buying IP #2. Please tell me if my understanding of equity is wrong...
Your understanding is correct.

Is it really recovering? I've been reading that house prices are going to hit rock bottom towards the end of this year. And if that is right, i'd rather wait and optimise my chances of building equity much quicker. Although, i do understand your point that this is a long term investment. Thanks.
You won't find agreement here about what is going to happen to happen to the property markets over the next 12-24mths, emjay. It seems to me that you have your head screwed on straight, though, and well done on your due diligence. My opinion is that there's no rush to buy as I think there's a strong possibility that there will be price falls with rising unemployment. However, I guess you may not want to use this as an excuse to do nothing. If the property that you buy does fall 10% after you buy it, what strategies could you emply to minimise the ill effects?
a) Buy in a suburb where the fundamentals look good (i.e. new infrastructure growth), next door to a more expensive suburb, not dependent on an industry that may be hit in the downturn...
b) Buy something that you can add value to through renovation, sub-division, etc
c) Buy something that you believe is at a low price - i.e. distressed/motivated vendor.

If there is a risk of little/no CG, then alternative c is more important than ever. It's possible that by waiting right now there may be more chance of picking up a "bargain." But as Peter Spann was fond of saying, "The bargain of a lifetime comes around about once a fortnight!" So don't feel rushed. The more research you do on your chosen area, the more inspections & auctions that you go to, the better placed you'll be to negotiate that bargain property, whether it's now or 10 months from now.

Back