Robert Allen Seminar -ACCC Action on misleading advertising

Dear guys,

News release from the ACCC website.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Internet home pageProperty investment seminar promoters to correct representations made about investment strategies
Attn: Consumer, property writers

Property investment seminar promoters to correct representations made about investment strategies
Vision Pursuit Pty Ltd and Giann & Giann Pty Ltd, the promoters of a property investment and wealth creation seminar to be held in Sydney this week, have agreed to consent orders in the Federal Court requiring those parties to correct misrepresentations allegedly made in material promoting the seminar.

The consent orders follow Australian Competition and Consumer Commission action against Vision Pursuit and Giann & Giann alleging misleading and/or deceptive conduct in relation to the promotion of the Robert Allen Millionaire Matrix Seminar, to be held in Sydney from tomorrow (21 July) until 24 July.

Late yesterday (Monday) the ACCC applied to the Federal Court, Sydney for ex parte orders to serve the application on the solicitors for Vision Pursuit and Giann & Giann in order that the proceedings be heard before the seminar commences on Wednesday 21 July.

The ACCC's allegations concerned marketing material that was sent directly to Australian consumers inviting them to attend the Robert Allen Millionaire Matrix seminar, containing allegedly misleading and deceptive statements relating to certain wealth creation strategies to be taught at the seminar.

Vision Pursuit and Giann & Giann have agreed to place prominent signage at the entrance to the seminar and make oral statements to attendees at the commencement of the seminar that references to wealth creation strategies by:

private mortgage notes;
brokering mobile home notes; and
leveraging ‘tax certificates’ and/or ‘tax deeds’
which appear in material promoting the seminar refer to strategies applicable in the United States of America which strategies have no application in Australia.

"The ACCC continues to be concerned about misrepresentations made in promotional material for these types of seminars, and will not hesitate to act to ensure that any misrepresentations made by the promoters of such events are publicly corrected prior to the commencement of the seminar", ACCC Chairman, Mr Graeme Samuel, said today.

"Today's action, and the ACCC's action taken two weeks ago against the National Training Conference, reinforces the ACCC’s ongoing commitment to monitor the promotion of these types of seminars and enforce the Trade Practices Act where breaches to the consumer protection provisions of the Act occur”, he said.

Further information please contact
Mr Graeme Samuel - Pager/Mobile, Chairman, 0408 335 555
Ms Lin Enright, Director, Public Relations, (02) 6243 1108, (0414) 613 520
Release # MR 131/04
Issued: 20th July 2004

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/525252/fromItemId/142

I love the ACCC sometimes.

I went to a free seminar recently where they touted themselves amognst other things as "Australia's Financial Superstars!"

The ACCC made them put up a notice saying they aren't Australian, have no investments in Australia and have no experience with Australian marktets.

There were are few other statments they had to resind too.

Then at the start of the seminar, they had to read out the whole set of 'adjustments' the ACCC wanted as well.

Didn't stop a huge bunch of people from attending the seminar thou (including me).

Jas

I like seeing how active the authorities are getting now.....

Althought the stable door has been open for years, there are still horses trying to bolt through and they are being picked up :)

Poor Mr Allen, there he was with Jenman offering his a $1 million cheque & he had to turn him down.... :D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Next chapter in the Jenman Allen Soap

See property review for Allens response.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A bodyguard with American get-rich spruiker Robert G Allen, and his promoter Vision Pursuit, has issued a summons on real estate identity Neil Jenman. The summons, which was served on Jenman last night by two police officers, seeks to prevent Jenman coming within 500 metres of the bodyguard or any of Vision’s spruikers and staff.

[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“This is just another way these white collar rogues try to silence and intimidate their critics,” Jenman said, adding that it was a “novel approach”.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“They want me to stay 500 metres away from their spruikers, and that’s what I want consumers to do - stay away from their spruikers,” Jenman said.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Back