Rockhampton still looking pretty good.

Is it just me or is Rocky still looking pretty good compared to Cairns , Townsville , Mackay

These are as of November 2006

Capital Growth in postcode 4701, QLD Rockhampton
Period Change ($) Change (%)
3 Months $15,000 6%
6 Months $43,389 20%
12 Months $65,000 33%

Capital Growth in postcode 4870, QLD Cairns
3 Months $9,216 3%
6 Months $16,716 5%
12 Months $23,216 7%

Capital Growth in postcode 4810, QLD Townsville
3 Months $0 0%
6 Months $30,000 9%
12 Months $50,000 17%

Capital Growth in postcode 4740, QLD Mackay
3 Months $19,000 5%
6 Months $29,000 8%
12 Months $59,000 18%

sourced from http://pvg.webcentral.com.au/propertyValueGuideChart.asp

Bloss

Last edited:
So you want to buy in the place that's had the bigger growth ...??

I like Rocky but no longer hold but that was from the point of view of buying somewhere which was going to have good capital growth and was close to neutrally geared.

We have one in Townsville which we will hold long term.

See Change

You need to consider the fact that most Cairns suburbs don't have a post code of 4870, they have 4878/9, and that is where you'll find the greater increases.

Have to agree with Seech here, in that Rocky appears to have had it's run. I think it would be highly unlikely to see another 33% for the next 12 mths.
Then again, if I am wrong, it would just serve as yet another reminder that I sold out too early in this Qld town!! :D

You need to consider the fact that most Cairns suburbs don't have a post code of 4870, they have 4878/9, and that is where you'll find the greater increases.

Sailor, is 4878 ready for a jump?

Capital Growth in postcode 4878, QLD
3 Months $0 0%
6 Months $0 0%
12 Months $2,000 1%

This ones done well

Capital Growth in postcode 4879, QLD
3 Months $25,000 7%
6 Months $50,000 14%
12 Months $90,000 29%

I agree that while it would seem unrealistic to have gains like in the last couple of years, there is still something happennig.

Just finalised the finance for the specy were doing and according to the banks we've made a $30k increase on the land purchase already and they have'nt even finished the scrape.

Feeling pretty good about our 2 side x side river view houses that we jagged a few years back for almost give away prices [ it flood's you know ] the house 2 door's up from our's just sold for $299k.

These are the houses we will retire to.

Bloss

Last edited:
Sailor, is 4878 ready for a jump?

Capital Growth in postcode 4878, QLD
3 Months $0 0%
6 Months $0 0%
12 Months $2,000 1%

This ones done well

Capital Growth in postcode 4879, QLD
3 Months $25,000 7%
6 Months $50,000 14%
12 Months $90,000 29%

I agree that while it would seem unrealistic to have gains like in the last couple of years, there is still something happennig.

Bloss
Post Code 4879 is the plush northern most part of the "northern beaches" within 30 min drive from Cairns. Some very expensive/exclusive developments done there in the past 2 years.

Post Code 4878 is the mid and bottom end of the "northern beaches" and is within 10-15 mins drive from Cairns. No high rise condos, mainly units and houses and duplexes.

There is always a ripple down (north to south) effect when prices start to rise sharply in this area. So as when the northern most beaches become too expensive for people to buy, they go down to the next beach closer to Cairns and develop/buy there.

So I've just bought a place right on the beach at the southern-most "northern beaches" from Cairns. Got it cheap. Hoping it will be in the next "ripple", as the other beaches become too expensive for people. One of the reasons my beach is so cheap at present, is that its only been sewered for the past 3 years, and many people haven't connected up yet.:D

Jacque said:
Have to agree with Seech here, in that Rocky appears to have had it's run. I think it would be highly unlikely to see another 33% for the next 12 mths.

If it was starting from a low base, then it wouldn't it still have room to move if investors continued to think it was affordable. A median of 265k according to that commonwealth website.

So I've just bought a place right on the beach at the southern-most "northern beaches" from Cairns...:D

Hi Sailor,
Is that Machans you have bought? What's your opinion on some of the other Cairns suburbs, e.g. Redlynch Stratford and any of the others around Lumley Hill.

Then again, if I am wrong, it would just serve as yet another reminder that I sold out too early in this Qld town!! :D

And i'm fine with that, i'll just settle for 20%, or worst case go back to around 10.5 % which is still better than some of the stuff in the big city.

Figures in the Fin Review make it look pretty good still.

BB

It sound's good for all of us doing the Northern thing according to the latest HTW report.

The Shylocks wont give us enough money to do another right at this very second, but this one in Townsville might be up someones ally, if you have some builder's in you pocket.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...eader=&c=63064735&s=qld&snf=rbs&tm=1165797592

Might be an early Xmas pressy for someone.

Bloss
Why do you think this is cheap? Res 3 no longer exists and the new zoning is more restrictive.

You can buy 1012sm blocks in my st for $250/60 with the same zoning. For $550 you can buy the one I'm sitting on now and my neighbour's, and the new zoning allows a couple of extra b'rooms on the double block.

3 level walk up unit site that close to the CBD in Townsville???

Going on the current feeding frenzy for stuff up there I would have thought it not bad, and the fact that it's now under contract would probably prove my point.

We personally will stick with our Rocky stuff seeing as the returns over the last 10 year's have been better than Townsville and most of Cairn's , and having got in on a flock at half that price help's in our decision of course.

BB

Hi Sailor,
Is that Machans you have bought? What's your opinion on some of the other Cairns suburbs, e.g. Redlynch Stratford and any of the others around Lumley Hill.

Yes Mundi...Machans Beach. I think if you are looking at units, Manunda, Westcourt and North Cairns still have plenty of bargains. I don't know a lot about Redlynch and Stratford....definitely older areas, and would have some CG left if you wanted to do a reno.

If it was starting from a low base, then it wouldn't it still have room to move if investors continued to think it was affordable. A median of 265k according to that commonwealth website.

Sort of what we were thinking Leandro, seem's that a few of the people that can't afford/justify Mackay are looking at Rocky .

Saying that It would have to be something pretty bloody good, with a twist, to get me paying the ask on some of the stuff getting sold at the moment.

But it's done well for us and we will actually base ourselves there in a few year's, so here's finger's crossed.

BB

BoatBoy said:
Saying that It would have to be something pretty bloody good, with a twist, to get me paying the ask on some of the stuff getting sold at the moment.

What would be an example of a good buy in Rocky for you? Particular area (i.e. berserker), a home in better condition, type of build i.e (concrete stumps, not raised?).

What would be an example of a good buy in Rocky for you? Particular area (i.e. berserker), a home in better condition, type of build i.e (concrete stumps, not raised?).

Bit Tough for us as we got in when it was all in the low to mid hundred stage, others on the forum got in a few year's earlier at the $60k buy.

For me it would have to be something that we can get split, but as there is no $30k block's of land anymore, the numbers don't stack up saving and moving the existing house.

Also anything that is splittable or on seperate titles works out to be about the same $$$ per block as in a new estate.

Interestingly the places that the local's have avoided like the plague have actually done better than the so called "premier" areas in town.

BB

Interestingly the places that the local's have avoided like the plague have actually done better than the so called "premier" areas in town.

BB

% increase yes . but they go with problems . I passed up on one property near one the south side which a fellow forumite bought . % increase he did better than what we subsquentally did , though I seem to remember something about the tenants boyfiend putting holes in the wall ( maybe he thought they would match the gaps in the flooring ....)

We bought a couple of steps up from the bottom of the market , nice three bedders in Berserek / North Rocky etc, and had absolutely no tenant problems . Unlike Logan where previously we bought 1/2 step up from the bottom of the market and all sorts of problems . Again we did well cap growth , but they were higher maintenence in dollar and psychologial terms

See Change

BoatBoy said:
Bit Tough for us as we got in when it was all in the low to mid hundred stage, others on the forum got in a few year's earlier at the $60k buy.

For me it would have to be something that we can get split, but as there is no $30k block's of land anymore, the numbers don't stack up saving and moving the existing house.

Also anything that is splittable or on seperate titles works out to be about the same $$$ per block as in a new estate.

So you wouldn't buy a standard home in neat and tidy condition purely just to hold anymore.

see_change said:
We bought a couple of steps up from the bottom of the market , nice three bedders in Berserek / North Rocky etc

Would you buy a nice neat and tidy 3 bedder around the 220k mark today around berserker or surrounding suburb?

% increase yes . but they go with problems . I passed up on one property near one the south side which a fellow forumite bought . % increase he did better than what we subsquentally did , though I seem to remember something about the tenants boyfiend putting holes in the wall ( maybe he thought they would match the gaps in the flooring ....)

Again we did well cap growth , but they were higher maintenence in dollar and psychologial terms

See Change

Our south side ones were the most expensive ones in Depot Hill at the time. They are side by side with water views on a triple block with rear street access and good neighbours.

All of our tennants have been great with impeccable referal's prepared to pay a premium price for a premium product and have had no probs.

At the time we paid $130k, others in sad nick were selling for $100k, but the house 2 doors up has just sold for $298k, so got to be happy with that.

The other one we shifted to West Rocky again had a recent reno before the move and new roof after the shft. We also polished the floors and got it looking good and owes us $120k but get's premo rent with good tennants.

Next door is the daughter of the site manager of the builders we use, and over the back is a cop who has lived there for a long time and has the local's sorted. We've had a few beer's together and he want's me to go Barra fishing next time i'm up. I'll have to take him up on it.

The other 3 on the Northside, side by side,where the removal house was, well their just a money making machine, again we get on with the neighbours on both sides and over the road, so again, no prob's.

We have also spent a bit of time getting good PM's and they are very thorough on who get's in, but we have been without rent for a few days on occasion waiting for the right tennant.

Some of the other agent's let the first tenant who comes along get in, and the trouble begins.

We did put in plenty of legwork and have a good network in place now, and we sleep well at night.

BB

Last edited:
Back