Running advice : few long runs or many short runs per week?

Hello there fellow forum members,

This question goes out there to all the fellow runners who can help give me some advice.,…

I currently run 3 times per week for roughly 55 to 60 minutes between 65% - 85 % of my maximum heart rate.
I am based currently in the middle east and hang out for these stamina building work outs even in these steamy summers…!:p

What I wanted to know is it better to do 3 runs like this per week or 5 runs of 30 mins?

I have been running for years and just wondered if anyone who runs seriously can answer this question…

Cheers

Warrabista

I'd argue 5x short runs is better for overall fitness, but the 3x will give you better stamina.

Depends of what your goals are?

for maximum weight loss, best is a power walk, so just as though your heart beat is beating a bit slower, some say 100-130 is the best.

depends on your fitness, biggest loser type people do a tread mill slower then my grandmother walks and still look like they have just broken the world record, I used to do 8km/h on the treadmill and it be fairly easy

if you don't have any particular goals other then health, I would suggest staying away from running fast/long distances, I personally feel that too much running is a great stress on your body and you may develop arthrites many years down the track,

for the record, I used to power walk, 40km per week, and lost 20% of my bodyweight

Last edited:
Obviously if you can run 5 longer runs per week it's better.

As a runner I'm not sure if I could decide either. At a guess I'd run more frequently because it's important to get out every day, or as often as possible.

Hi,

If you are in training for a marathon then the long runs are better, if running for the feel good factor then I would do 5 shorter runs.

I would also suggest that you should run on a surface with a bit of give like grass. If running on a hard surface very good shoes are a must.

We are not designed to run everywhere, we are meant to walk and only run when in danger or hunting.

Too much running will damage your joints, a real problem later on in life. A Lot of footballers and runners have problems after 40 years of age with knees and hips, not fun I can assure you !

If you like to do something everyday, have a walk one day and run the next might work

I would mix it up and possibly add other aerobic (bike, ex bike, stair/stepper, rowing, etc) and some conditioning/resistence type work. Just focusing on cardio-vascular neglects other musculo-skeletal systems.

If training for marathons or half marathons, one run per week (or at least fortnight) should be long slow distance and some shorter/faster work in between.

Perhaps vary the tyype of runs to include hills and/or f@rtlek (speed play). I used to be an avid runner many years ago and eventually got into triathlons in an attempt to vary the mix and add some cross training to my exercise and events schedule.

Knowing what I know now, I would run three times per week (unless training for running events) and do alternate exercise the other days. Maybe leave a day free over the weekend.

Yeah I've always wondered how footballers or other sports people shape up later in life , you never hear much about it but these people must do 20 lifetimes of often pretty unnatural movements during training years. Must be hell on the joints later. Or how a tennis playes arm doesn't drop off later in life is beyond me.
Me I started running 3k x 3 times a week about 6 mths back, I just cruise.Takes about 25-30mins. I just felt I needed it and wanted to get my breathing, heart rate , fitness up again, lose some weight. I was turning into a slob. I've often ran just for 6 or 12 mths spats through my life to get nimble again.
Thought I might be gettin too old , late 40s. So I did lots of checking and found plenty of 80yr olds still running so. Basically I found apart from don't over do it , look after yourself, soft ground or v/good runners , why not .
The difference has been bloody amazing, I'm pretty stoked with myself. I love walking too , just in life , through bush , beach, work, whatever but have never actually done it as a steady exercise but running !
I can run 3k now anytime I feel like it, outrun my daughters, lost weight , my breathing and heart rate has improved out of sight .
They say walkings just as good but it does totally different things in a totally different way imo and most walkers couldn't come close to running 3k . Which probably doesn't matter and I know it is still just as good for you but I like being able to do what I can again now.

Cheers

Born to Run

I run 6 mornings per week averaging around 40km per week. I do it because I enjoy it, it helps offset all the excesses of life as well as helping me keep up with the kids.

I like to run on firm smooth surfaces to ensure sure-footing as I found previous sports involving twisting and turning was more likely to cause joint damage.

I am also currently reading “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall. It is a fantastic light book that shares stories of many Ultra-runners that compete in grueling 100 mile trail runs just for fun!

The book also goes into detail about the Tarahumara natives from Mexico who can run for days on end. They do this because they enjoy it and because we were all runners in our past lives.

The book also dispels a lot of myths about expensive running shoes and says that these are the worst things for our feet and have caused more leg/foot injuries than the thin soled shoes we used to wear as kids. The reason behind this is that all the modern shoe cushioning and support have make our foot muscles weak and thus preventing our feet from doing what they were designed for in providing the natural cushioning and compensation that the arch previously provided.

Highly recommend reading for anyone, runner or not.:)

depends on your goals which really aren't stated, just endurance -
I say eat big and sprint 3x/week - 50m distances, walk back to the start as your rest period, and redo - 8-10 sprints per session. maybe a 400m distance once/fortnight.
think about it who do you want to look like:
Steve Moneghetti or Shervo?:eek:

Google "Tabata workout" and use an exercise which involves as many parts of your body as possible - running is a good one. Do it properly and you won't be able to walk for a few minutes afterwards.

Has helped me considerably with my cardio and the actual workout is only 4 minutes long.

I did get sore calves a few mths back and had to take a few mths out.
I was trying this supposed warm up stretching thing , think I over did it and actually pulled the muscle. Either that or given the fact that our place also has 4 sets of stairs that I use 100's of times a day , or that I maybe ran too far too early. They're good as gold now though , I started back at 2 k and worked back up to 3 over a mth.

Great thoughts in this thread,

Tomorrow i am doing a fun run, it's the Sri Chinmony around Williamstown, Melbourne. Don't know if I trained right, but hope I can make the distance and still walk afterwards. I only want to beat my 11 y.o. son who hasn't trained at all and mocks discreet night-time runs as "waddles".
I am seeking revenge!

Cheers Meri.

Great thoughts in this thread,

Tomorrow i am doing a fun run, it's the Sri Chinmony around Williamstown, Melbourne. Don't know if I trained right, but hope I can make the distance and still walk afterwards. I only want to beat my 11 y.o. son who hasn't trained at all and mocks discreet night-time runs as "waddles".
I am seeking revenge!

Cheers Meri.
I did a 10k fun run on Australia Day - second time in the event down here. Fundraiser for the local S.E.S division. great day.

My training schedule ......zip. been very slack in that department of late.

Paid for it for about 4 days after. :eek:

Back