Running advice : few long runs or many short runs per week?

wow,
definitly couldn't run 10 km without training. Maybe in another life.

I'm sorry this run tomorrow is some guru **** thing, as it would have been better as a fundraiser, but happy that is is local. SES is a good fundraier. I hope that the local running club get some of the proceeds, not just some corp.

Meri

Hello there fellow forum members,

This question goes out there to all the fellow runners who can help give me some advice.,…

I currently run 3 times per week for roughly 55 to 60 minutes between 65% - 85 % of my maximum heart rate.
I am based currently in the middle east and hang out for these stamina building work outs even in these steamy summers…!:p

What I wanted to know is it better to do 3 runs like this per week or 5 runs of 30 mins?

I have been running for years and just wondered if anyone who runs seriously can answer this question…

Cheers

Warrabista

I wouldn't do just one or the other (as some OPs have stated) Here's a useful program:

1. Short runs are generally best for speed work. Higher cadence/heart rate for shorter duration. (25-30 min runs) twice a week

2. Out & Back runs are fantastic as they push you to do negative splits. This is great for pushing yourself.

3. Speed runs increase your cadence ability. Run for 2 mins at steady pace ~50-60% then run for 1 min at 95% (not sprinting) then back to ~50-60%. Repeat this for ~30-40min training session. This really helps your leg speed.

4. Long runs are for endurance. Often called LSD runs (Long Slow Distance) with a lower heart rate but 2-4 times the time of the shorter runs. Important not to over extend yourself as this is your weekly chill out run, albeit a long one.

So there is a 5 day program. 1, 2, 3, rest, 4, 1, rest (rearrange to suit lifestyle)

This works well for me.

Hope that helps ;)

Depends on your goals.

From a metabolic perspective what happens is that in the first 20 or so minutes of your run, you're burning mainly carbohydrates (sugars/starches) and when you run out of those, start burning fat - and so if you want to lose fat, it makes more sense to go for the longer runs. If you want to have general stamina, it makes a bit more sense to work out more frequently, but you need to take into account recovery time/your age. The last thing you want is to run 5x a week and slowly exascerbate an injury because you don't give yourself enough time to heal.

As with everything fitness, the best option is usually to mix things up, and keep an eye on what your body is doing. If you find yourself feeling stiff all the time, perhaps 3x short runs plus 1 x long one is the go. If you find that you're barely breaking a sweat at the end of the 30 minute run, increase your pace/find some hills/throw in some weight training also.

Imo running as your sole form of exercise is a mistake - if you want a healthy, balanced body with good posture/energy etc, you should vary your movements (switch to rowing or whatever) and throw in some weight training. All the best bodies seem to be made like that.

Actually , nothing to do with the oq but I've only just stumbled over a new track 3wks back , bloody beautiful.
It runs through beach scrub along the cliff tops. As you come through sections there's beaches just below , talk about inspiring .
In a way it's a damn shame we're moving into our new place soon 15min's in from the coast but I think I'll have to drive over to run and keep enjoying this track in the future. I was getting very bored and felt like quitting but I can never wait now, great stuff.
So there ya go guys if you get too bored to go on , try finding yourself a nicer spot to run through whether it be a park , river bank or freeway , if you like where you run, tis good.

Cheers

Why the hell are you asking this on a forum full of middle-aged people? You run further in 1 week than what most people here have run in their lives!

I know a marathon runner who's metabolism kicks over like a 13 year old kid and he eats non-stop... he is very lean and fit obviously... isn't exactly strong or powerful though which is more along the lines of what I train to preserve when I run. I might only be able to run 8-10km, but I run to stimulate a fight. It all depends on your goals.

Thank you to all that have posted to my thread!:)

Absolutely blown away by all the responses from you all

Brilliant stuff and much appreciated.!!

I actually have started doing weights as well . ..So three times a week I am doing my long runs up to 65 mins at the range of 65 to 85 % of maximum heart rate and other two days I have started doing weight training.
Light weights but many repetitions .
It's been years since doing weights ..so starting slowly.
6 the day I am doing 45 minute ocean swim and then a day of rest. Then repeat.
We are just coming into summer here in Dubai so weather blazing hot. On those runs I usually go at sunset and it is still like 37 degrees! sweat fest! , As we tend to spend our lives indoors here it's great to have that time to be out even though it's scorching. I run with a water bottle..and just do little sips.
All those fellow runners would appreciate the “ solitude time” when running, a chance to be by yourself..with your thoughts ..I absolutely love that .

Another question :

How long do you stretch before? and after? I tend to do more after ,because over here it’s not cold ..so warm down stretch is more useful for me.

I once read an article that mentioned if you started running slowly you did not need to stretch as you muscles will warm up….:confused:
Can anyone back this up?

Cheers

Warrabista

Best training for fitness, strength and speed is:

x1 tempo run
x1 long run
x1 hill run with some weight training
x1 easy run
x2 recovery days (cross training)
x1 rest day

This is not in order. You should always have a recovery/rest day after a long or hard run.

Try this forum. It has some great info! http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/

Have fun!

Back