Russian Far East

Jim Rogers went around the world twice. Once on a motorcycle and once in a custom 4x4 Mercedes. Investment biker and Adventure Capitalist are both great books.

As to the Road of Bones in winter? Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman did it in summer on the DVD "Long Way Round". They couldn't get the bikes through and had to be carried across the rivers by massive Russian trucks.

Perhaps you are thinking that in winter it would all be frozen?

It would be a great trip if you decide to do it.

Yes you would have to be a very brave and hardy soul to attempt the trip in winter . Yakutsk has the claim to fame I think of being the coldest city in the world and nearby is an area that has the coldest temperature ever recorded on earth .

Can you begin to imagine what prisoners must have gone through to build that road by hand in the 1930's-50's ?

It can get as low as -70c . I don't even know how you could get an engine to start in a temp like that .

Thanks Attrill , I will look out for Jim Rogers books .

I'm short on time ATM, but will post my experiances living here later.

But yes, the weather here is extreme. I have experianced -52degs and +54degs...within 1 year.

There is a car rally wich from memory departs somewhere in the uk and ends somewhere in the south east. Not many rules except the car can't be more than a 2l and no newer than 15yo. I think it would be a great challenge.

I wouldn't advise doing it on a bike. Not your first time anyway. We have a "bike graveyard" here where the dozens of riders have thought it a good idea and abandoned the trip not even half way through. I personally own a BMW touring bike which the guy left behind. You have to remember when Ewan McGreggor did his trip he traveled with a support crew of 3 or 4 land cruisers and umpteen people in tow.
But yes, it would be great fun.

Blacky

To the OP - No - I havent been to Sakhalin. However, as I said my Mrs lived there for a few years and quite enjoyed it. From what I understand it is set right in the mountains which meet the sea. Everytime she goes back she brings back sea food which is as good as or better than you get in Oz.

I moved here about 4 years ago. I work in oil and gas, so get to see some interesting places. This place definatly grows on you. Once you get used to the culture, and living without many of the items (luxuries) which are common in Australia its really a good place.
Im in the West of Kazakhstan, which is Steppe country (like dessert). I personally dont think it is as beautiful as mountains or ocean, but it is nice in its own way.
The climate, as I mentioned is extreme. Very hot summers and very cold winters. The east and north gets colder, but not as hot and stays colder for longer.
The wildlife is quite unique, when you get to see it - and its fun to try and find it.
I think the east, where mountains are would be easier to get through winters - as despite being colder, you can at least enjoy the mountains.

The culture is quite different. It still has a very "USSR" feel to it, and outsiders are not really welcome. Though to move from an "outsider" to an "insider" is quite easy, and once you do they are very friendly and warm people.
If you have heard rumors about the women over here, they are mostly true. They are generally stunning. If you are a single guy its well worth a visit. If your boyfriend/husband ever says he is coming to this part of the world, lock him up and dont allow him....or come with him :D

It is an interesting place, and it has grown on me. I dont think I will be here for ever, but I do like it here, and am glad I came. I have definitely changed for the better as a result.

Cheers
Blacky

p.s here are some pics

Attachments

• DSC_0880.jpg
    DSC_0880.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Kazakhstan 065.jpg
    Kazakhstan 065.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Kazakhstan 023.jpg
    Kazakhstan 023.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 51
Hey Blacky , are those people out on the frozen river ice fishing ? Does the river freeze solid through or is it flowing a few metres down ?

Nice pics .

Yeah. They are fishing. It's too deep to freeze solid but there is a good metre or so of ice.
I have some pics of me ice fishing but I can't find them. It's not much IMO. You sit there freezing your but off, getting smashed on vodka. :cool:
When you can walk, can't feel, and can't talk you go home- with or without catch.

I had to have a read up of Kazakhstan as its not a place that gets mentioned much . Have you seen much of the grain growing areas in your time there ?

Horses were first domesticated there and apple trees are native to the country .
Much of GDP is from the oil and gas industry ...

I know some young Kazak guys who work here on 457 visas . I play futsal against them and they are very good .

I had to have a read up of Kazakhstan as its not a place that gets mentioned much . Have you seen much of the grain growing areas in your time there ?

To be honest, I dont really think much of their grain growing capabilities - the russians are far more advanced in this sense, though again my only reference point is the west - which seems a slightly different (and more basic) culture (what is it with the "west" of countries? :D).
I have driven from where I am up to russia and it is quite clear where the Kazakhs end and the Russians start. In one paddock in particular there are about 15 Headers (harvesters) all parked up - which have been there since 1993 when Kstan got independence. They drove the Ruski's off, and the headers have sat idle since. Very sad really. The Kazakhs are still ultimately nomads.

Horses were first domesticated there and apple trees are native to the country
Indeed - some fantastic fruit is produced here - and its all vine ripened - Just brilliant.

Much of GDP is from the oil and gas industry ...
Wouldn't surprise me. The project Im on turns over $1m/hr - and we are expanding production.

I know some young Kazak guys who work here on 457 visas . I play futsal against them and they are very good .

I have no idea what futsal is... :eek:

Blacky have you learned much about the GULAG from Kzaks or is no one interested much ? Is it something that is talked about at all ?

I like to spend time onGoogle Earth looking at many of the old camps from the 40s and 50s . I have found many of them around the old Igarka railway system in the north that were abandoned after Stalins death in 1953 .

It's a bit macabre I know but the process is very similar to doing research on property investments ..

Futsal is indoor soccer :)

Back