what human rights are still being neglected?

i am reading a fascinating book at the moment called "12 books that changed the world" by Melvyn Bragg.

Many of the books Bragg has reviewed led through major breakthroughs in advancing human rights e.g. abolishing slavery, giving men the right to vote, giving women the right to vote, giving women permission to enjoy sex (!!! Marie Stopes in 1918 wrote the book Married Love, which floated the idea that women should expect to enjoy sex as well as their partners!!! gosh, the things we take for granted today!), the right to engage in free trade ( the birth of capitalism by Adam Smith - again, another thing we take for granted), even the right to read the bible in english rather than in latin.

This book got me thinking: we have made such advances. But what human rights are still being violated that need to be addressed urgently?

My husband came up with this idea: the human right for all nations to escape horrible poverty. He said we are not fully advanced as civilised people while lots of poor countries barely survive while the wealthier countries are flourishing and even killing ourselves from our abundance!

I think he's right:

This is from a speech by melinda gates which i found on the gates's website:

This evening I want to take just a few minutes to talk about fighting inequity. For Bill and me, realizing the scope of inequity in our world is what really lit a fire under our philanthropic efforts.

I remember several years ago sitting with Bill and reading an article we’d been given. It was about the millions of children dying in poor countries every year from diseases we don’t think about much in this country . It focused on a disease called rotavirus, which kills about 600,000 children a year.

Bill and I read this article and we said, This can’t be, 600,000 children, one disease. How come we never hear about it? We take our children to be vaccinated. We read news stories. We don’t hear about it. We thought if a single disease were killing that many children, it would be front-page news.

But it wasn’t. How could we reach any other conclusion but this: Some lives in this world are seen as worth saving and others are not. That realization drives all the work that we do today and will continue to do throughout our lifetime. We believe that every human life has equal worth.

This premise has been affirmed to me over and over again in my travels. Whatever the conditions of people’s lives, wherever they live, however they live, they share the same hopes, the same dreams as you and I in this room. When I travel, people talk about how they want food, health, safety, shelter, all the things we care about. They care for their loved ones. They want to provide for their children.

They talk over and over again about the future of their children and educating their children. In so many places, those building blocks of dignity are unattainable. Those aspirations are unachievable. So our goal is really quite simple. It’s to give every person a chance to live a healthy and productive life.

So looking at a world where 11 million children die before their fifth birthday… one billion people live on less than a dollar a day...and one out of every eight people go hungry every single day...the toughest question for us was, “Where do you begin?”

We chose health as our point of entry because when health improves, life improves by every single measure, from higher literacy to better education, stronger economic growth and a more stable and prosperous society.

I think there’s a little bit of a misunderstanding about the foundation because people often say, “Well, you started in health, but didn’t you know there were these other problems?”

Of course we saw the other problems. But we decided to start with what we were good at and what was close to our hearts. For Bill and me, that’s technology. When I say technology, I mean bio-technology. We learned about the gap between vaccines that we were getting for our children in the United States but were not being delivered in the developing world. We’ve had these vaccines for 15 or 20 years.

How could that be?

It was a market failure. No one was working on vaccines for diseases like malaria or tuberculosis, because we don’t have those diseases in the United States. And, even though we’ve mapped the human genome, there was not a whole lot of progress on an HIV vaccine—again, because we can get the medications in our country.

But all you need to do is visit the places where our grantees are working to see that the cycle of inequity, of ill health, is both a cause and an effect. Immunizing children against a disease is a hollow promise if they don’t have enough to eat. That’s why for us health is neither a starting point nor an ending point. It’s an intervention point.

We started to look for other points of intervention. We had a very small group at the foundation looking at several different areas—clean water, agriculture, financial services, several others—where we were doing small amounts of work. We were asking what else could we do to make sure that if we gave a child a vaccine, she could also have some food and her family could lift themselves out of poverty?

We were already looking at these points of intervention when Warren Buffet announced last summer that he would be committing most of his wealth to our foundation and his children’s foundations. His extraordinary generosity gave us the opportunity to really accelerate some of this work that we were already studying. So we created a group at the foundation that is now called Global Development.

In the cycle of inequity there are so many points of vulnerability: hunger, economic opportunity, poor governance, the list goes on and on. But following the lead of an organization like CARE we’re starting to look at these areas of vulnerability and say, “But they’re amazing opportunities.”

Because we’re so blessed with resources at the foundation, I think people look at us and think we’ll be able to change these problems on our own. That could not be further from the truth. When you look at the scale of the problems we’re trying to deal with, it has to be governments and markets that solve these problems. Of all of America’s charitable giving, our foundation accounts for less than 1 percent. Last year, our Global Health Program made about $900 million in grants. By contrast, the budget of the National Institutes of Health is $28 billion every year.

So our work is really focusing on those places where if we pioneer a solution, governments and markets can dramatically expand those solutions. That’s what we think will transform the lives of a huge number of people.

Right now we’re looking at several areas we feel provide amazing opportunities to apply innovative models to people’s lives. I want to touch on two of them tonight: one in the area of agriculture and the other in the area of financial services.

No developing country has risen from poverty without first raising its agricultural productivity. That’s why it’s so distressing to know that Sub-Saharan Africa is the only place in the world where there is less food per person year after year.

Three quarters of the poorest people rely on agricultural survival. So when small farmers struggle, hunger quickly spirals into a sense of hopelessness. Malnutrition stunts children’s physical and mental growth, and it causes adults to miss work and, ultimately, lose income.

However, when small farmers can grow enough not only to feed their families but to have a surplus, then progress is possible. They can send their children to school. They can hire workers. They create markets.

We’ve seen it before. Back in the 1940s, the Rockefeller Foundation started to look at this problem. The world wasn’t keeping up with population growth. Half of the people in the developing countries were without enough food.

So the Rockefeller Foundation began some pioneering work with the help of a scientist named Norman Borlaug, who was with them at the time. They worked to spreading these farming innovations throughout Latin America and Asia with new seeds, better irrigation techniques, essential crops like wheat, corn and rice.

The farmers all became more productive. As a result, world food prices dropped. In Asia, real per capita income nearly doubled and the rate of poverty was cut nearly in half in Asia. Improvements in agriculture are credited with improving the health of 30 to 40 million preschool children. This process became known as the Green Revolution.

But for a variety of reasons, the Green Revolution never reached one crucial area: Africa. Today three quarters of African farmland is being cultivated without advanced seeds or fertilizer. Can you imagine if you were a farmer in the United States and were still using seeds from the 1940s? We hope to change that.

Together with the Rockefeller Foundation and partners in Africa, we recently launched AGRA. It’s the Alliance for Green Revolution in Africa, an organization that will be based in Africa, staffed by Africans. We believe that there can be a Green Revolution in Africa, but that it can learn from what happened in Asia.

In Asia there was criticism of the fact that the Green Revolution mainly benefited the most large-scale farmers. AGRA will focus on reaching small farmers, because the vast majority of the population in Africa have less than two and a half acres of land. AGRA will also learn from the criticism that fertilizer was overused in Asia—they want to be sure what they do in Africa is environmentally sensitive.

Great seeds that are created in Asia and America and Latin America need to reach Africa, but they need to be adapted by the Africans to what works for them—so they’re drought-resistant, they’re pest-resistant, and they’re the crops that the Africans want.

For instance, there’s a great kind of Asian rice that has higher yields, higher productivity, and higher nutrition than other types of rice. Some West African breeders have taken it to Africa, and they’re making a variety called NERICA: a NEw RIce for Africa. And it’s being adopted widely there. That’s exactly what needs to happen all across Africa.

We need more African crop scientists who are working on these specialized issues. We need to link small farmers to the markets so that they don’t get taken by middlemen and they know the market prices for their goods.

Our goal in the next five years is to have a hundred new varieties of rice, corn, and bananas introduced on the African continent that meet the nutritional needs of Africans. Through this kind of coordinated, far-reaching agriculture reform we can significantly improve food production and give hundred of millions of small farmers, many of them women, an essential tool for improving their lives and the lives of their families.

Another area where we see opportunity is financial services. Hundreds of millions of lives can be touched through financial services. I know many of you have heard of this area, particularly with Muhammad Yunus and the fantastic work that he’s done through Grameen Bank in Bangladesh.

Of all the people who survive on less than two dollars a day, only one in ten have access to affordable, high-quality financial services. In Africa, there is no micro-lending institution that’s at scale, not a single one.

Consider where you would be if you didn’t have a savings account, you couldn’t get a loan, you didn’t carry any insurance. These are the things that allow us to manage life’s risks.

In the developing world, without those services, you have no margin, no room for error for something of the unexpected. So a child falls sick and needs to get medical services. Your husband loses his job because of AIDS. Your cattle die for some reason. Absolutely no insurance. Without access to capital, entrepreneurial sparks are snuffed and small businesses don’t have a chance to take hold.

But with these kinds of services, people can begin to see a path out of poverty. I met a woman in Bangladesh last year who used a micro loan to purchase a sewing machine. She paid her original loan back in just a few months, and eventually she was able to get two more sewing machines and hire two workers. Now she’s got her own small business and she’s already sending her kids to school.

Imagine the societal change when we take a story like that and replicate it millions and millions of times over.

Financial tools can also be tools of empowerment. In much of the world, men control the finances, which means, of course, they also control the women. That’s especially true in a country like Malawi. Many women there are illiterate so they can’t sign their name to open a bank account.

One of the NGOs we’re working with in Malawi has come up with a reader so that a woman can use her fingerprints to identify herself on a bank account. This is incredibly important in Malawi because if her husband dies—which happens often because of AIDS—frequently her brother-in-law, his brother, will come and take over the family finances. This card lets the woman protect her money so no one can take it from her.

This has become such a popular item in Malawi that many of the women are talking about it at their wedding showers. I think that’s quite a change in society.

As we’re looking at other areas in global development, whether it’s access to information, or better sanitation and water, we’re hopeful that new ideas, new technology, and a new sense of a worldwide commitment can help us confront these old and lingering challenges. To us, global development isn’t just about better seeds, better food, or better access to capital. It’s about a better future.

I want to share one thought in closing. As I look around a room like this tonight, I think: We are all so incredibly lucky.

Many of us have achieved the positions we have by virtue of our intelligence, our talents, our hard work. Now I don’t want to diminish any of your success by saying this, but none of those things would have mattered if we didn’t live where we live.

Bill is the first to acknowledge that it was luck that got him where he was. He would not have been able to create a Microsoft if it were not for what he was afforded in this country.

Warren Buffett, who’s one of the world’s greatest investors, speaks publicly and privately about the fact that if he’d been born in a different country or a different time and place, there would have been no market for his talents.

As I travel around places like Africa, I think, if I were a woman living here who was lucky enough to have a small farm, I would not have picked Bill Gates or Warren Buffett to cultivate my land. I might send them out to check on the price of the goods or to negotiate for me, but I don’t think I would have them tilling the land.

I met a woman in Nigeria last fall who still sticks in my mind. She was a very sharp woman. She had been to see a man in the village, an esusu, an informal money lender.

I asked her a little bit about her business. She was buying coal in the city and then selling it out in the country because she could get a higher price in the country. I asked her, “Why did you move to this particular place?”

And she looked at me like I was completely dense—like I had two heads. She said, “Well, of course I picked up and moved here because the price of coal is higher.”

You know, if she were sitting in this room tonight, I think she would be working at an arbitrage hedge fund.

That’s the entrepreneurial spark that you see over and over again when you’re out in the developing world. That’s what we need to tap by just letting people have access to some of the basics that we have access to here today.

For me, it hits home perhaps even more closely because I’m a woman.

While the deck is stacked against everybody in the developing world, it’s stacked even higher against women. Sometimes when I take reporters with me to see what’s going on in the world, they’ll say, “You live so well. Here you are visiting the poorest of the poor. Isn’t it jarring?”

But I never look at it that way.

Whenever I go out to visit the developing world, and I’m welcomed with open arms by these women who are so incredibly generous, and I sit down in their home, on a mat on the floor, I always think: That could be me, sitting on the other side of that mat.

If I were in that situation, what would I do? What would I do for my children, for my family, for myself?

The answer is: I would do everything humanly possible. I’d work to exhaustion if that was the only opportunity. I would borrow or beg, if necessary.

And when I had done all of that, I would pray. I’d pray for change, for hope, for someone to see my struggle and offer a little bit of help.

That is why I’m here tonight. Because in the fight against inequity, in the struggle against poverty, that prayer finds an answer in an organization like CARE. Thank you.

Reactions: Les
i asked my daughter which important human right may be getting overlooked. She said the right for the next generation to inherit a planet they can live in!

It's a pity we can't vote for causes and solutions rather than for two dumb parties rules by self-interest.

Carol

thanks for the inspirational post - it certainly gives one pause to stop and think. and action.

the basic right - to live without fear - fear of death, fear of losing everything one has worked for, fear of homelessness, just fear of everything - is so lacking in many of these third world african counties. the warring factions have so much to answer for!

I know, Lizzie

every time I read it, I cry!

My favourite african cause is gemma sisia's School of st jude's.

I read her recently released book called St Jude's and was so moved I made my first-ever substantial donation. That book had me crying too it was so inspiring.

if anyone's interested, the website is
www.schoolofstjude.co.tz

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Carol.

This will be similar to a post I made a few days ago about overpopulation in Africa. I got a reply from someone who thought I was being very nasty. I just can't help thinking the way I do though. I will try to word things differently this time.

I believe the biggest problem in Africa is over population. It is now 22 years since the last big famine in Ethiopia. 22 years ago, a million people starved to death. Today, Ethiopia has a population of 76 million, a lot more than 22 years ago, and the average number of children per woman is 5.1. So these women having kids today, were children themselves in the 1985 famine.

What is happening here? They must remember 22 years ago!

Why do they have so many children? does anyone know why. I have some ideas, however I have said them before, and got a bit of flack for it.

Nigeria has a population of 135 million. 5.5 children per woman.
Egypt,.............................80 million.
Congo,............................65 million. 6.4 children per woman.
Tanzania,.........................40 million. 4.7 children per woman.
Sudan,............................40 million. 4.7 children per woman.
Kenya,............................37 million. 4.8 children per woman.
Uganda,..........................30 million, 6.8 children per woman.

Here we are in the land of plenty. Plenty of everything, and our population is hardly replacing itself. New Zealand, Canada, the US, are also lands of plenty, and they have low population growth.

I just can't help but think that fixing the overpopulation problem is what is needed to ultimately fix poverty in Africa.

How do we do this? I don't know. I don't understand the way these people think. Does anyone here on somersoft know why?

See ya's.

Alright Les, you throw down the gauntlet, I'll take the challenge. For those that missed my oh so shocking post, Lizzie mentioned that it was largely third world governments to blame for the atrocities in their countries. I took one sentence and changed it a little. While I agree, I think this sort of response is akin to blaming the junkie for the drug problem. Who's really to blame? The guy shooting up in the alley or the guy that supplies the drugs in the first place? You can't have a buyer if you don't have a seller.

So let's take a look at who the real culprits are. As the ever growing mountain of evidence proves, it's the usual suspects: first world governments and multi-national corporations. Big business produces the weapons that govt. like the US, UK, China, Russia and France (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council) pay them to make, which they then on sell to those third world governments that Lizzie mentioned.

War is profit and business is good. Meanwhile, millions of innocent men, women and children die or live in terrible conditions. Where's the justice?

Mark

I just can't help but think that fixing the overpopulation problem is what is needed to ultimately fix poverty in Africa.

Here tc, have a read of this post (I couldn't be bothered typing it all out again). Fixing poverty in Africa has very little to do with reducing the population....

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=233595&postcount=61

How do we do this? I don't know. I don't understand the way these people think. Does anyone here on somersoft know why?

I dunno how to fix it either. A good start however would be:
- education
- access to contraception
- access to proper medical facilities

Mark

Here tc, have a read of this post (I couldn't be bothered typing it all out again). Fixing poverty in Africa has very little to do with reducing the population....

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=233595&postcount=61

I dunno how to fix it either. A good start however would be:
- education
- access to contraception
- access to proper medical facilities

Mark

I think agricultural subsidies paid to western farmers by western tax payers have played a big part in keeping third world farmers in poverty. Farming and farmers are a very big part of economies in these places, unlike here. If the farmers are poor, then so is everyone. These insidious subsidies simply reduce the price of a food commodity on world markets to levels that make profits very hard. The agricultural commodities boom that is already unfolding, and will continue, will be a great chance for these subsidies to be stopped.

Your conspiracy theory? I dunno about any of that. I'm sort of an anti conspiracy sort of bloke. I know people like yourself who think conspiracys are in everything. The moon walk, Sept 11, you know. I don't believe these conspiracies are happening. Can't wait till the yanks land on the moon again, right next to an old lander and moon buggy.

I would like to see contraceptives supplied free to a lot of these places. We can still send food and money, but help with contraception too. Free vasectomies to the men. If you just project the current population growth figures forward a few generations, it is shocking.

See ya's.

My favourite african cause is gemma sisia's School of st jude's.

I read her recently released book called St Jude's and was so moved I made my first-ever substantial donation. That book had me crying too it was so inspiring.

if anyone's interested, the website is
www.schoolofstjude.co.tz

Carol

I sponsored a teacher to go there 2 years ago and she has just returned. Damn the flights are expensive, but worth it though.

MC

Your conspiracy theory? I dunno about any of that. I'm sort of an anti conspiracy sort of bloke. I know people like yourself who think conspiracys are in everything.

Obviously that went straight over your head tc. That 'conspiracy theory' statement was tongue in cheek. The case mentioned (and there are many many other examples) is not a conspiracy theory, basically because it actually happened(s).

Agricultural subsidies, while they may help a little would be a band aid solution I reckon. In order to cut poverty not only in Africa but all over the world, we need to somehow force the first world to stop raping and pillaging the third world.

The poverty in poor countries is not an accident mate. It's a carefully calculated and controlled situation where the bullies on the Security Council unashamedly take what doesn't belong to them - often by force.

Mark

In order to cut poverty not only in Africa but all over the world, we need to somehow force the first world to stop raping and pillaging the third world.

The poverty in poor countries is not an accident mate. It's a carefully calculated and controlled situation where the bullies on the Security Council unashamedly take what doesn't belong to them - often by force.
Mark

Yes comrade,
And I would like to see the majority world referred to as just that. We should be called the minority world - which is what we are, bloated petty bourgeois, full of ourselves (and full of theirs too).
MC

Why do they have so many children? does anyone know why. I have some ideas, however I have said them before, and got a bit of flack for it.

the reason they have so many kids is for their superannuation. if you have 6 kids, two of them die before before their teens, one leaves to the city, one dies from aids, you only have one kid left who "might" look after you in your old age.

the answer - very complicated because there are so many angles to overcome this problem. education, medical and financial - and it will take a further generation of mindset to overcome the large families even once the solutions are in place (whatever they may be).

I sponsored a teacher to go there 2 years ago and she has just returned. Damn the flights are expensive, but worth it though.

MC

Wow, michael,

what a small world and what a nice thing to do. i always think it's a real pity that people keep so quiet about their good deeds. I hope you've told lots of people - not to boast, but to perhaps sow seeds in their minds that maybe they might consider doing something like that down the track.
We need to make giving seem more commonplace rather than oddball.

Cheers Anne

Hi Carol,

The teacher is a friend who was in a rut. She saw Gemma on ABC TV and said "this is what I need to do". Chucked in her job and started fund raising, as she had to get there and live there whilst working, all unpaid. She is young, back in Aust. now, broke, and a heck of a lot wiser. She had a tough time with Gemma who is the classic autocrat - she's got to be to get things done, without any institutional support.

The poverty is hard for us to comprehend, both in depth and extent, they have nothing and yet are basically happy. When our friend told us about a nearby orphanage (there's hundreds of them), where the kids had to sneak out at night to steal drinking water, we coughed up for a well on site. It's not much, as it helps a few hundred kids, but at least it's something. Many of the students at St Jude's come from that orphanage, and they are bright, driven and ambitious.

Being a lost cause myself I empathise with St. Jude, even though I'm a practising agnostic. St.Jude's is charity, not as a handout, but a hand up.

MC

Topcropper you may find this link interesting...I did not see this here in Oz, and it is a little dated now:p , (think I was in UK and saw it).

I believe you might find the agricultural part interesting reading, I have left it all in context....and not necessarily my opinion on the world.

The Catholic Church and it's teachings and attitudes towards a simple piece of latex that can stop both unwanted pregnancy and the spread of HIV/AIDS within a population have alot to answer for.

Is that, by any chance, what you weren't prepared to say?

M

ps. It is estimated that 6.9% (that is greater than 1 in 15) of the adult population in sub-saharanian Africa has HIV.

But still some say it's better they die a miserable death in life, rather than suffer for ever in hell. :mad: :rolleyes:

See - HIV/AIDS in Africa

Thanks Michael

That's really interesting what you say. I want to go visit myself, one day.

I am a real novice at this charity stuff, but I am not a novice at investing in successful small cap shares.

I see a lot of similarities between the multi-bagger fast-growing small cap companies and charities that are actually getting results and not just engaged in a lot of meaning-well activity.

In small cap investing you look for talented, passionate management and runs on the board and the potential to grow into something huge and the sex appeal to attract in a lot of share buyers to the story.

It would be the same with a top-notch charity: passionate, talented management, runs on the board in terms of success already, the potential to make a big difference to a big problem if all goes well and the sex appeal of the project to attract enough donations to keep the project afloat.

Gemma's project met those criteria for me: Gemma is special - you can tell that from her book. She has had to fight all sorts of obstacles, including disapproval from her family in the beginning, she is also passionate - she has to be because she's more or less signed away a normal life in Australia for a long, long time, if not forever, as her home is in Tanzania now.

In just a short time the school now has 850 students. Her school scored 3rd out of 204 schools in Tanzania , all her students passed and 5 students scored in the top 10 places in the country - that is some track record afte such a short time.

Now here is the big thing: at the moment Tanzania boasts of only 875 tertiary garduates - can you imagine such a small number of uni graduates in a whole country?

If Gemma gets her students through high school - the high school is opening next year - and if she or someone else can somehow sponsor a fair dollop of those through uni, then what a difference that makes to the brain power of that country.

Now imagine if those graduates are brilliant and ethical: imagine the good they could do if they won government jobs determining policy of the country. Or if some started up their own successful businesses that employed lots of other Tanzanians?

it's a great project with potential to change the face of Tanzania economically.

Tanzania as a country has great potential - especially for tourism , but also mining and agriculture.

The other thing i like is the potential for the school to become self-sufficient some years down the track. I am imagining this could happen in several ways: the graduates may give back a portion of their earnings to the school out of gratitude; maybe the businesses that might be set up by St Jude graduates might contribute regular donations to the school, maybe the government in time would help subsidise all all private schools that produce graduates.

I'm just fantasising here, but perhaps this school doesn't have to rely on donations purely from outside Tanzania forever.

The other weird thing is that projects like these need the passionate, talented people to the daily gride of implementing the project and also the money to fund the project.

being on the side of contributing the money is really the easy side of the equation - afterall, even though I made a hefty donation, it was still pretty small compared with what I have made on the stock market these last few years- and yet gemma writes to me as if i am the hero!!!

That's not fair, is it? That must be another of life's injustices!

Still, she made me feel mighty good about myself and i am even keener than ever to explore my philanthropic ideas.

it is nearing the end of the financial year - if any of you find yourself in the awful predicament of having to pay a fortune in tax, I really recommend spending a bit of time hunting down a great tax-deductible cause and making a contribution. It's great for the soul and you get to escape a bit of tax.

And make sure you tell your friends - tastefully , of course - it would be great to trigger a social epidemic in giving.

carol

The Catholic Church and it's teachings and attitudes towards a simple piece of latex that can stop both unwanted pregnancy and the spread of HIV/AIDS within a population have alot to answer for.

Is that, by any chance, what you weren't prepared to say?

Yep.

I mentioned religion in general. But the catholic church certainly has made a stuff up. Now, they don't want to change their mind, even though any half wit can see how dumb it is. I also mentioned the degrading way some cultures treat women. If I ask the misses if she wants to do some nude wrestling, and she tells me to get stuffed, I slink away and get on the net and talk to someone on somersoft. I don't think the same happens over there.

See ya's.

Last edited:
"what human rights are still being neglected?"

There's no such thing as human rights.

It is a utopian construct of the developed world.
Look throughout history and name a time when such a thing existed.

There is only survival of the fittest, the fittest at securing resources in a resource scarce world, and using them intelligently to sustain their population and their values.

The human rights band would have you believe that these rights are part of some sacred natural law. This is big fat lie.

No one has a right to a job.
No one has a right to three meals a day.
No one has a right to shelter and water. (Just ask the Beattie govt about water)
No one has a right to endless petrol at $1 per litre.

Just as no one has an obligation to supply you with a job, three meals, shelter, water, and endless petrol. And anyone who says they can provide you with the above is a dangerous liar....

But what you do have is an opportunity to pursue this stuff for yourselves.

This human rights stuff at first glance seems noble, but it is the exact opposite. It's great danger is that it usurps will power, and makes you think the world owes you a living......that someone else is responsible for keeping you alive.

Well the world doesn't owe anyone a living. There is no big welfare brother in the sky who has an exhaustless supply of food shelter jobs oil money.

The world needs more self motivated strivers, and less people shouting out their rights or the obligations of others......

Back