Salary - $35 K Increased to $47 K

Congrats Alex!

Time to spend a while building up a cash buffer so that you won't have to go through the same stresses that you had a few months ago :)

yeah good one.

Ignore the fact that she has gotten 3 promotions, or new jobs to achieve this altogether and compare it to - what are you are comparing it to exactly ? In private industry, when people get a job moving "up " in their career, do they not get a payrise, or do they not get as much of a pay rise....

perks of being a payg employee and all that

Where does it say promotion in Alex's posts?

I read pay rise, which suggests doing the same job, and getting more for it.

In this context, getting an 80% "payrise" in private industry would be very unlikely.

I've never worked in Gubbmint positions, so wouldn't know what happens there.

Where does it say promotion in Alex's posts?

I read pay rise, which suggests doing the same job, and getting more for it.

In this context, getting an 80% "payrise" in private industry would be very unlikely.

I've never worked in Gubbmint positions, so wouldn't know what happens there.

But it's not hte same jjbo, it';s a different job which is why IU responded I't snot he sam ejob, she is doing a different job and more work to enarn more $

Gez man, we know you don;t like the governemtn, but don;t blame Alex gving her life for it !

I think it was a pay rise from promotions rather than pay rise per se

exactly... even government jobs aren't that cruisiy that they give you an 80% payrise for nothing !!!!!!

In fact, except a pleb levels, government jobs pay peanuts anyway, good thing to see we are all plebs (of which I am the first don;t worry)........

For the amount of work you do, govt jobs pay very well.

take the **** all you like

I'm talking about salary levels, they aren;t that great in government compared to what you could earn outsid eof givernmetn, except at th e pleb levels they seem to pay well....

Gez man, we know you don;t like the governemtn, but don;t blame Alex gving her life for it !

How did you guess? :D

I wasn't blaming him/her for it; good luck to him/her if you can get it.

My gripe is with cushy Gubb jobs where you do bugger all for a good wage, get a zillion perks, can't be sacked for being useless, and more.

Gubb workers certainly don't miss getting regular rises over and above the wider working community from my observation either. Why is that?

As long as you are comfortable with all that coming from your taxes, good on ya.

Personally, I'd like to see about half of Gubbmint positions go, make all the departments more accountable and efficient, and put a bit more of the wasted funds towards some real benefit to the Community by way of infrastructure and less red tape dudes.

take the **** all you like

I'm talking about salary levels, they aren;t that great in government compared to what you could earn outsid eof givernmetn, except at th e pleb levels they seem to pay well....

I used to work for the govt so I know what it's like.

How did you guess? :D

I wasn't blaming him/her for it; good luck to him/her if you can get it.

My gripe is with cushy Gubb jobs where you do bugger all for a good wage, get a zillion perks, can't be sacked for being useless and more.

As long as you are comfortable with all that coming from your taxes, good on ya.

Personally, I'd like to see about half of Gubbmint positions go, make all the departments more accontable and efficient, and put a bit more of the wasted funds towards some real benefit to the Community by way of infrastructure and less red tape dudes.

Well go out and fix the world then !!!

Or go get a government job

As I said, all they pay really well for is pleb sheetkicker level jobs, everythign qualified and more senior, their pay levels are crap compared to what you can make in private industry doing the same job.

It's neither that exclusive tha tmyou can't be a prt of it, nor that great that ti's worth whinging about, it's just average

When I was working in public service no one ever complained about their pay

and I never complained when I was earning $300 / wk cause I thought that was good money !!!!1

It wasn't

tHe truth is the governemtn pays crap comapred to private insdustyr for proffesionals, plebs get paid quite ok though as I said,

A senior lawyer at the government department I worked in was on $110k per year. that's probably 7-8 years of experience. In a top tier law firm they probably earn $130k-ish but work twice as many hours....

Well go out and fix the world then !!!
Trying to in my little way.

Or go get a government job
Why would I do that? I hate the Gubb generally as you said.

As I said, all they pay really well for is pleb sheetkicker level jobs, everythign qualified and more senior, their pay levels are crap compared to what you can make in private industry doing the same job.
Don't be too sure. Mind you, if the pay is better, there is a price you pay for it though; job insecurity being one of them, accountability for productivity being another.

If Gubb jobs are so crap, why do so many of them get filled and stay filled by one person for their whole working life, as is a common scenario?

It's because of the factors I've mentioned already. It would be interesting to see what the "dead wood" factor is between the private sector employee and the Gubb sector employee.

It's neither that exclusive tha tmyou can't be a prt of it, nor that great that ti's worth whinging about, it's just average
And 80% in 3 years is.....

Trying to in my little way.

Why would I do that? I hate the Gubb generally as you said.

Don't be too sure. Mind you, if the pay is better, there is a price you pay for it though; job insecurity being one of them, accountability for productivity being another.

If Gubb jobs are so crap, why do so many of them get filled and stay filled by one person for their whole working life, as is a common scenario?
It's because of the factors I've mentioned already. It would be interesting to see what the "dead wood" factor is between the private sector employee and the Gubb sector employee.

And 80% in 3 years is.....

80% in 3 years is acheived by people who want to achieve something - it can be done by lots of people in lots of professions should they have the inclination.... someone could be a then they become a sales rep by going for an intereview when a role comes up .. then he becomes a sales exectutive.. from earnign $48k, he went to $60k, and is now on $70+ car, or $85k pa....... what is so strange about that ????? so they did it in 3 years, they're smart enough to do the job, who are you / I to begrudge them ?

Some wil ldo that and some others sit on their fat *** and whinge at snmeone getting a payrise - possibly calling them "lucky" you know like investors are

Yeah you wil finds in this day & age, that government jobs aren't exactly actually like that - that's how they were when you were a boy... AND at the same time, private industry resembled that more than it does now too- with people staying with 1 that 1 private industury company for decades in back then much more than they do today... same with government....

Govt jobs pay plebs well as I said, I never denied that.... to go on about plebns getting $2 extra like it's such a big unfair deal whilst you could be achieving the same thing for yourself in so many ways in this worl,d to me seem like slightly misplaced energy

80% in 3 years is acheived by p[eo9pel wh0 owant to achieve something

Others sit on their fat *** and whinge

Hey; I'm not fat! I weigh 80kg's and am 5'11" :D.

I'll just print out this little gem of yours and take it to the hospital where my wife works and show it to all the nurses.

80% in 3 years is acheived by people who want to achieve something - it can be done by lots of people in lots of professions should they have the inclination.... someone could be a then they become a sales rep by going for an intereview when a role comes up .. then he becomes a sales exectutive.. from earnign $48k, he went to $60k, and is now on $70+ car, or $85k pa....... what is so strange about that ????? so they did it in 3 years, they're smart enough to do the job, who are you / I to begrudge them ?
We covered this one; I did say I read it as a payrise; not a series of promotions with corresponding raises that go with them.

Some wil ldo that and some others sit on their fat *** and whinge at snmeone getting a payrise - possibly calling them "lucky" you know like investors are
I have no prob with anyone getting ahead; I am in that 5% of over-achievers in the world as are you and all the others (except the deehedd trolls) are on this forum, and we all applaud getting ahead.

Yeah you wil finds in this day & age, that government jobs aren't exactly actually like that - that's how they were when you were a boy... AND at the same time, private industry resembled that more than it does now too- with people staying with 1 that 1 private industury company for decades in back then much more than they do today... same with government....
True

Govt jobs pay plebs well as I said, I never denied that.... to go on about plebns getting $2 extra like it's such a big unfair deal whilst you could be achieving the same thing for yourself in so many ways in this worl,d to me seem like slightly misplaced energy
Where did I go on about a pleb getting $2 more?

And none of this is about me; I own a business and pay my staff above award, but there's now way in the world they will get an 80% rise in 3 more years. I'd love it if they could; it'd mean I've made a fortune in the process. The only way they have any hope of it happening is to go out and buy their own workshop and then maybe it will happen.

My whole argument/whinge/gripe/sook has been about the general bludginess of a Gubb job for the pay versus private sector, while getting looked after very nicely thankyou, with no worries about if your job will be there next week if you don't perform. Bluescope comes to mind, Borders, Clive Peeters etc in recent weeks.

Are there any Gubb departments dumping 100's workers lately? or even half a doz? Are any having their hours cut back?

We covered this one; I did say I read it as a payrise; not a series of promotions with corresponding raises that go with them.

I have no prob with anyone getting ahead; I am in that 5% of over-achievers in the world as are you and all the others (except the deehedd trolls) are on this forum, and we all applaud getting ahead.

True

And none of this is about me; I own a business and pay my staff above award, but there's now way in the world they will get an 80% rise in 3 more years. I'd love it if they could; it'd mean I've made a fortune in the process. The only way they have any hope of it happening is to go out and buy their own workshop and then maybe it will happen.

My whole argument/whinge/gripe/sook has been about the general bludginess of a Gubb job for the pay versus private sector, while getting looked after very nicely thankyou, with no worries about if your job will be there next week if you don't perform. Bluescope comes to mind, Borders, Clive Peeters etc in recent weeks.

Are there any Gubb departments dumping 100's workers lately? or even half a doz? Are any having their hours cut back?

And I have told you for fact that it is the resut of promotions in Alex P Keaton's situation, not the government just nearly doubling their salary for nothing, but you appear to be still be doubting this.

Near anyone capable and willing to can get an 80% payrise over a few years... it alawys takes work, some jobs are easier than others, it's easier for some people than others etc etc

Of course there are heaps of government jobs getting the axe - redundancies happen all the time, just like Bluescope steel..... surely, I am being serious... you already know this ??

Last edited:

True

Just to add fuel to the fire, the dpi is cutting a heap of jobs in nsw!(I think a lot of departments are) I think it is justified though

Back