Science Summary of The Week

There's a few guys here interested in science including American theoretical physicist Richard Feynman who worked on the Manhattan Project and developed the atomic bomb so I'll try and add to this thread every week. Courtesy of Reddit.

pDhDfWS.png

Links here :

Engineered red blood cells

New Dwarf Galaxies

Voyager Spacecraft

Efficient Artificial Photosynthesis

Alzheimer's Blood Test

Finger Reader for The Blind

Alzheimer's Eye Test

The World's Largest Flying Bird

Photosynthesis in Action

This is a picture of the world's blackest material which absorbs all but .035% of light.

'To stare at the "super black" coating made of carbon nanotubes - each 10,000 times thinner than a human hair is an odd experience. It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing. Shapes and contours are lost, leaving nothing but an apparent abyss.'

Read about it here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2690424/Scientists-discover-new-black-British-researchers-devise-material-dark-looks-like-black-hole.html

article-2690424-1F9C528100000578-71_634x537.jpg

h0Pao61.jpg

http://htwins.net/scale/

There's an updated version, which is way cooler, but it wouldn't load for me.

Here it is - other people might have more luck.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Whoa dude that puts things into scale.
Jupiter has a radius of ~70,000 km. The moon is ~385,000 km from the Earth. This gives Jupiter an angular diameter of 2*tan-1 (R_J / D_moon) ~ 20 degrees, or about 40x larger than the moon (yeah I copied/pasted that).

Here's what other planets would look like if they were the same distance as the moon.

FlashyRequiredCub.gif

AFiRX.gif

This is a picture of the world's blackest material which absorbs all but .035% of light.

'To stare at the "super black" coating made of carbon nanotubes - each 10,000 times thinner than a human hair is an odd experience. It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing. Shapes and contours are lost, leaving nothing but an apparent abyss.'

"Hey dude, have you got anything blacker? "

That's one cool black.

Hey dex, did you hear that? All around the world, the entire population of goths' heads just exploded.

But we only have computer screens to see it...

Here's a bit of Sunday fun time. Creationists believe that the sun is not a star. Seriously, they actually believe this.

http://www.geocities.com/rebornempowered/thesun.htm
Crazy, but a bit like this forum when the topic of global warming is brought up.
There's a lot of distrust of science for some reason.

Because it's not universally agreed upon, that's why old mate.;)

That "black" is quite cool and the planets rising simulation excellent!

This thread is amazing.

Though I would like to expand on my significant contributions to the world as the work on the Manhattan project was not only a tiny part of my life, but something I later came to regret.

I think my biggest contributions were my work on QED, the diagrams which allowed people to convey (or understand) in seconds what previously took hours and pages of equations to describe and interpret, my opening the door of quantum computing and introduction of the concept of nanotechnology - "There's plenty of room at the bottom"

Crazy, but a bit like this forum when the topic of global warming is brought up.

There's a lot of distrust of science for some reason.

People distrust what they don't understand. Religion has had an iron grip on a large portion of humanity for several thousand years, it's never going to go away, despite the mounting evidence to the contrary. People are going to believe whatever they want to believe. Take global warming for instance. You can put all the evidence under the sun (hah!) in front of people and they won't budge, because it's human nature to resist that which challenges our beliefs.

I used to have a friend that is (or was) a Creationist. She's a very intelligent person, so I didn't really understand the whole belief in the literal interpretation of fairy tales angle, but whatever. If I recall coorectly, her parents weren't particularly religious, either.

We used to have hours long conversations about religion and god and atheism and stuff like that. Never turned into an argument, because we respected each others' views. We no longer talk, but towards the end she confessed to me that our conversations were making her question her beliefs. I sometimes wonder if she ultimately decided to come and live in the real world or not.

If so, that would be pretty cool to know I was a part of making that happen. It's the small victories.

We no longer talk, but towards the end she confessed to me that our conversations were making her question her beliefs. I sometimes wonder if she ultimately decided to come and live in the real world or not.

If so, that would be pretty cool to know I was a part of making that happen. It's the small victories.

Humm...no, she questioned her beliefs, resolved that they were right and therefore does not talk to you anymore. If she decided you were right, she be talking.

Some people just don't get it when all the evidence under the sun (hah) is put right under their nose.:rolleyes:

Back