Sea Level Rise - Release of maps

Hi All

I had been worried about the release of sea level rise predictions for a while, especially for IPs in Seaford (Melb) and now its finally here....

http://www.ozcoasts.org.au/climate/...B/1.6/JPEG/150dpi/Melbourne_16_150_Map_48.jpg

A bit like going to the dentist, the thought of it was bad but in reality, it turned out okay.... Given the height of Kannanook creek, I thought more properties would be at risk. I had even thought of selling before they were released, but I doubt it will have a huge impact on prices.

Cheers,

John.

<<At the risk of condoning censorship, please don't reply with generic gobal warming debates. Real or not, maps like the ones released today will have an impact on insurance and planning costs, so it is a reality we need to deal with, despite your beliefs.>>

for all the money they would have spent on that piece of naval gazing a better zoom functionality would have been nice. I guess they can go their level 11 and say 'sir outline tasks duly achieved, can I have my level 6 now?'

<<At the risk of condoning censorship, please don't reply with generic gobal warming debates. Real or not, maps like the ones released today will have an impact on insurance and planning costs, so it is a reality we need to deal with, despite your beliefs.>>

Yeah, right.

This is the biggest con in the history of the world.

According to the "climate experts" wasn't Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane supposed to be bone dry by now?

Awesome!

Just checked and both my Mona Vale and Narrabeen properties will be absolute waterfront if this comes off!

Better go and light a fire to do my bit... ;)

Cheers,
Michael

lol is that computer generated or did some intern just use paint to highlight the wetlands with cyan?

Major impact being more water hazards on the Bonbeach golf course!

Thank you Prof. Flannery.

Yeah, right.

This is the biggest con in the history of the world.

According to the "climate experts" wasn't Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane supposed to be bone dry by now?

Take it to another thread together with explaining how smoking really is good for you and it's all just a left wing communist plot to take away our right to smoke. Anyway the answer is no - extreme weather events were just predicted to get more extreme - droughts, floods, storms, cyclones and all the rest.

Thanks for posting l78 - It's hard to get good data on how far above sea level some coastal property is. I was a little concerned about a prospective purchase but it now seems I don't have anything to worry about on that front.

Hey, great map John!

Just wondering, does the map extend north of Edithvale....we're in Aspendale & I'd be interested to see that part too?

Great post!

well im again ticked off, nothing anywhere close in my area is even listed........and i live next to the beach....

taking my bat and ball and going home right now!

not happy jan !!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for posting l78 - It's hard to get good data on how far above sea level some coastal property is. I was a little concerned about a prospective purchase but it now seems I don't have anything to worry about on that front.

it is hard to envisage any such thing as good resi property when half the suburb is abandoned / soggy / evacuated. how would it be handled? I think the council will need to resume affected properties and bulldoze them. shorelines will be a wasteland of muddy old flats, the existing sand shores we know and love long gone

re

re

Hmm, its a map for 2100. Well, by then I be dead unless some absolute miracle happens. And whats going to happen to my investment 20 or 30 years after my time is beyond my caring. Otherwise my life is too full of worries.

Warren.2010

re

Hmm, its a map for 2100. Well, by then I be dead unless some absolute miracle happens. And whats going to happen to my investment 20 or 30 years after my time is beyond my caring. Otherwise my life is too full of worries.

Warren.2010
I believe my children will still be around.

Where's the sea level rise?

These are the ACTUAL historical measurements from a state of the art measurement station. There are about 10 of these around Oz (from memory) with an average installed life of 20 years.

If your hypothesis is correct this station (and all the others) would have shown a 230mm rise already. Australia has spent many millions of dollars collecting this data but they bury it, hoping no one knows it exists. As we all know, non-conforming data is ignored, regardless of it's integrity.

IDO71051SLI.pdf

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! LOL

They will be pretty old though, by 2100 :D. They probably won't care either :p.

but the insurance companies will be stinging people (you and your children) for an increase in premiums to cover damage at waterfront properties. I guess it is your choice if you insure or not.

One other thing, if the rise in levels is true, then you could probably safely assume that your investment may reduce in value in the lead up to 2100. So come 2050, if people then realise it is all true, then your valuable waterfront home may quickly become valueless as people decide to abandon waterfront properties and move to the hinterland.

So even if you won't be around in 2100, nor your children, but your investments may start to suffer around 2050 (or maybe earlier) once it is known that the sea levels are inf act rising.

off course, this is only if the sea levels do rise.

Hiding this data could possibly be a conspiracy - if the data is readily available then panic will set in on some of the prime properties all around Australia and the values of those properties will soon sink.

Back