Security Screen Doors – nothing fancy…

Looked online to get an idea, and have been able to find only 1 x webpage with any sort of pricing. $595

It can’t be that hard. I have 2 x t/houses where I am thinking I might replace both doors Not after anything fancy… just want to fuind out what "average prices" are so I can make a decision

I know there’s probably 1 million types, but I don’t really need anything that hard / fancy. Just a door which can be key locked from both the inside and outside, not as flimsy as a piece of paper and average/good enough for a $300k property..

Any suggestions on who might be good to get prices from or how much I might be looking at ?

Had one fitted recently and it was $395 measured and made to fit including the fitting in Wollongong by a local Company but using a standard door (Model SP17) available from a major manufacturer in Sydney (www.colonialcastings.com.au).

Was extra for the triple locking and cat mesh versions.

The website lists a WA distributor.

Couple of hundred bucks from Bunnings? Unless you are after something much more substantial.

Can't see why I'd need much more... I'll check tomorrow or something..

One at the IP only really needs the lock replaced (no key left, and no "flick" thing to lock it form the inside, but I doubt I'd get a lock and get it fitted for much less right ?

Actually, you should get the locking mechanism (assuming it's "standard") for about $40, I think.

When I bought our door, the handle was black - on a cream door. So I bought a cream handle... and sold the black one on ebay for more than I paid for the cream one!! :D

Actually, you should get the locking mechanism (assuming it's "standard") for about $40, I think.

When I bought our door, the handle was black - on a cream door. So I bought a cream handle... and sold the black one on ebay for more than I paid for the cream one!! :D

Cool, thanks... I'll see if I can get a new door for my place (fitted) and get just the lock for the IP (get the same gy to fit it - I'm pretty much over it, I can/can't do this stuff)

Jaycee, try e-bay. I just sold an aluminium security door with 2 keys and lock for $5.50:eek: That's the problem with auctions on ebay. It was worth more but I guess I didn't have to pay to throw it out.

jaycee the locks on these security doors are pretty easy to change.

Take the old one off (if in doubt take lots of photos), then bring the old lock to bunnings and get an exact match.

Its about $50-$70 for the lock and about 30 mins of your time (assuming you live in the same city as your IP)

bunnings, ebay or council road side pickup!

i've put a few myself on the roadside and they go pretty quickly. too good to throw in the tip and couldn't be bothered with the mucking around for $5.50 on ebay.

Well replacing the lock worked - highly recommended, even I could do it, seriously pretty easy.

Of course, my door appears to be a different size to the doors Bunnings sell so one of two jobs accomplished so far (at least the new tenants can now lock their screen door). Now I just have to replace the broken door on the wardrobe and repaint all the doors to match...

Nice work Jaycee!

The only annoying part I found when changing the locks was the cylinder kept turning. Took me about 4 goes until I got it to work, then i realised put the flip lock the wrong way and had it redo it one last time.

I run a security door company, so my answer may seem biased. For standard diamond pattern door you should expect to pay around $300 installed. But that will include a door actually made to fit the frame. (top, middle and bottom width, and out of square to the shape of the door). Its verry rare that there is a "standard" doorframe size that any bunnings door will just fit perfectly into.

But you may have problems getting anyone out to measure and install before xmas now.

There is a door (or doors) that allows you to cut the frame to size if you don't have an exact "to spec" frame. Worked well for me. :cool: And I got it from Bunnings... :p But I don't remember the brand, sorry. :eek:

There is a door (or doors) that allows you to cut the frame to size if you don't have an exact "to spec" frame. Worked well for me. :cool: And I got it from Bunnings... :p But I don't remember the brand, sorry. :eek:

Thanks Rob, but I am not going to DIY this myself.

Westral are coming out on Thursday I'm expecting up to $400...

Will keep it in mind, but as they price from Westral seems to be about what I've been told to expect and the fact that they are not too busy before Christmas (well, to come out & quote anyway), I'll see.....

In my opinion there is nothing more ugly that you could attach to your house than one of those horrible diamond pattern screen doors.

i take the door off and pull out the diamond grill and make up my own pattern from 8mm steel. I can follow the pattern of the main door so it compliments it.
I also do this with window grills too.

Good luck anyway.

I'll survive with the ugly diamond grill, there's worse things... unless you want to do the job insstead of Westral ? Let me knwo today if you'r e interested, otherwsise with budget restrictions and not being able to do it myelf, I don't see what choice I have

Back