Seek Advice for appeal against DHA market rental review

I just received DHA 5 anniversary market rental review with very disappointing result, for a 5 bed rooms, 3 living area, DLUG, 204 SQ living, and 4 year old house in Duffy Canberra, the rental in the valuation is $660, while it was $650 12 month ago, I just got less than 1.6% increase for the last 12 months, much lower than the market, the similar property in all home is around $840. While the next Market rental review will be 5 year later.
I talked the DHA but I was told according to the contract, the determination of the appointed valuer shall be final and binding, I can’t have second true independent review and appeal.
While looking at the Valuation Certificate, there are full of mistakes:
• It is 5 bed rooms, while the report says 4 plus study
• The block size in the report is wrong
• The valuer said he valued the property on 24 May 2011, while the certificate it says 24 May 2010
Worst of all, the valuer did not get in to the property, just look at outside, and worked out the valuation based on the information provided by DHA, which proved to be incorrect.

What should I do with this? I am desperately looking for help, please
Can any one recommend a good independent rental valuer in Canberra?

Last edited:
While the next Market rental review will be 5 year later.
I talked the DHA but I was told according to the contract, the determination of the appointed valuer shall be final and binding, I can’t have second true independent review and appeal.
I thought they do the rental review every year and then you have the option to appeal and do your own independent review.

I thought they do the rental review every year and then you have the option to appeal and do your own independent review.

I purchased the DHA property from Westpac, the contact says it will have 2.5% increase every year, while in 5th and 10th anniversary there will be a market rental review.
That is the only chance to get the rental right in line with market, otherwise I have to wait for another 5 years to have the review again.
The frustrating is that they told me how much the rental should be, I can’t appeal.
Stay Away from all DHA properties, that is my experience

I'm pretty sure you have the option to contest with your independant assessor, now that would be at your cost and may also yield the same result but it is your right to dispute, perhaps get some legal advise on the contract.

Sounds pretty cheap for a 5 bed, 5y.o. place in Duffy... I would have thought you would be up past the $700pw mark. don't count on what you see on Allhomes though as it just lists what people are asking - not what they are actually rented the property for. Any Canberra agent can look up the Allhomes history though and see what similar properties actually rented for. Don't know of any professional rental valuers though.

It does seem on the cheap side.

This is one of the reasons I've never opted for a DHA property. You seem to lose too much control.

Cheers

Jamie

Back