seeking a comfy couch! where did you get yours from?

Hi everyone,

We're in Sydney and are upgrading our couch... ideally to a leather corner lounge that can seat about 6 people. Only problem is that our budget is about $2000. (we went into a store yesterday where prices started at $5000!!)

As couch shopping is one of those things we do rarely, I thought I'd ask if people have any recommendations (or alternately, dis-recommendations)

Thanks!

You went into the wrong store.

We got a very nice and very well built *good* (and extremely comfy) funky looking leather couch from a store in Adelaide that seats all 4 of us and the cat, for $1200. Similar couches at harvey normans were upwards of $3000 and they didn't even look as good quality. There were heaps of cheap nasty couches around the place for $300-800 but we wanted a decent one. I'm sure you'll find similar price differences once you get some store recommendations.

Go to a big place like Harvey Norman and check them all out
Their prices are not too bad but there are cheaper places as well

Hmm, thanks RumpledElf - you're probably right about us having gone into the wrong store. However we thought it was worth taking a squiz at the more upmarket stores to see what they offered (steel frames, 15 year warranty, etc). Some people swear by paying a bit more to get a fantastic, long lasting couch...

We couldn't particularly see the quality in that expensive store... so I think we'll be looking at freedom furniture etc. Hopefully people can share their couch buying experiences. (I've done a search but couldn't turn up anything on this topic, hence the new thread)

Freedom certainly worth a look.

I also discovered that you can get the exact same couches often in a country town and they charged far less for exactly the same thing. So I live in inner Melbourne and I bought in Bendigo and it was delivered to me in Melbourne - not from Bendigo but from the manufacturer only two suburbs away.:)

Google for the furniture auctions in your area. About 4 years ago I went and bought a $5k leather lounge set for $2k. Some of the furniture shops sell last seasons, wrong orders, slightly damaged and floor stock this way.

I abosultely love the auctions....but beware once you go to a couple of them and you see what you can get and the prices you will become addicted.

Good luck.

My sil was throwing one out, so we scored it, I am 6ft tall and the brown velour lounge and chairs claimed me victim many times with it's comforting siren call.

It has since been replaced for a small $400 fee with its Blue velour reclining cousin, but it has not been as succesful in luring me as its velvety brown competitor.

Dave

Thanks Lamingtons for posting about Plush - never heard of them before but will definitely venture there. And thanks heaps to everyone else who has posted. I've got some couch jumping ahead of me!

I picked up a brown leather 3 seater and 2 matching leather reclining chairs from Laws Auction about 2 years ago for $1400.00

They are at Frank Street Smithfield, they have an auction every Wednesday starting at 10:00am, over the years have brought alot from here including timber kitchen, tiles, taps, stove, sink, stereo etc.

Here is a link: http://www.lawsauctions.com.au/index.php?_m=1209

Check out Fantastic Furniture

After trying hundreds of couches from Harvey Norman and lots of other furniture stores, we only found one that came close to matching what we were looking for - from Fantastic Furniture, and it cost us under $1000 for a 3 seater plus two singles.

Note that FF actually sell a lot of different couches, and they don't stock every model in every store - you may have to visit a few different stores to find one you like. Also note the wide range of coverings each model has - pay attention to the feel of the fabric on the couches you try and note which ones you like and which you don't ... you will generally be able to pick the fabric you like to go with the couch design you like.

Last edited:
Probably, and they are modern
but modern and comfy don't always go together ;)

Not really true BV.. in most instances I would agree with you.
However I have a plush sofa and I always go to their store and check out new stock (free air con) and a place for a pregnant woman to rest. LOL And they are comfy. :)

Not really true BV.. in most instances I would agree with you.
However I have a plush sofa and I always go to their store and check out new stock (free air con) and a place for a pregnant woman to rest. LOL And they are comfy. :)

I found that most modern designs are too short
so you are resting your back nicely but there is no support for your neck.

go and get a second hand couch from the salvos take it home , strip out the insided and fill it up with $100 notes this should fit most peoples comfort zone!!! hence VERY COMFORTABLE.

I love our suede corner one it is joined together in 4 sections, I have a chaise longue sooooooo comfy at my end and hubby has a recliner at his, lovely comfy pillowy cushioning which I often doze off in. We have had it for about 5 years and when it gets a bit grubby after sweaty teenagers it cleans up beautifully just with washing up liquid and water! I don't like leather I like warm snuggly couches. It was from Harvey Norman, I think they still have similar ones around $2,500.

Good Luck enjoy trying them all out!

Bay Leather Republic. Have fallen in love with a couch there, friend bought one a couple of years ago and despite having kids and pets its in fantastic shape.

I don't think u can get a very good quality leather couch for $2k.

My mil bought a $2.5k leather couch from Leather Republic and within a yr all the creases had split. It tooks awful and you can't take off the cushions. She's so rich, I told her to get a Moran and she's regretting it now.

My dad has a Moran pair in his apt for over 12 yrs and it's still comfy and in excellent condition.

Maybe check out Ikea. Ikea has a nice range which isn't too expensive called the Kramfors. Comes in leather and fabric but I prefer it in fabric in the modern grey/black colours. The covers are also removable.

Myer and DJs sometimes have 50% off floor stock and they also have 12/24 mths interest free plans. We bought our corner couch from Myer 50% off for $2.5k. It's fabric and seats about 8. You can tell it's a quality sofa straight away.

Also, the trend now is not to have a complete matching settee. Ppl can mix it up with a 3 seater leather and 2 x fabric arm chairs or a 2.5 seater leather and a 2.5 seater fabric. It's all about mix and matching to what suits your lifestyle and what's comfortable. My friend scored a 2.5 seater Moran for $2k which matches perfectly with her current fabric sofa.

Go to Ikea for inspiration. In our family room, we have a couple of Ikea Poang arm chairs and we use it more than our sofa. It's the most comfortable chair and so cheap! My 3y.o son loves it.

Back