selecting agent and selling in Perth

He is not the cheapest but is all inclusive. I know our timeframe and our expected price.

Before I go ahead and sign the agent up I would welcome any advice.

I sold my unit in S.E. Perth last year. To arrive at a price, I did extensive market research over a couple of weeks of comparable properties. I then invited 4 agents to give me a projected sales price, recommended list price and to set out their total fees. Projected sales price ranged from $180,000 to $270,000. To select an agent, I deliberately went against my instincts and picked the sleaziest agent from the bunch because I wanted a high price and a quick sale. I knew the guy was dodgy because as soon as he opened his mouth I could tell what he was saying wasn't at all true. I also listed below his recommended list price to achieve a quick sale. Oh, and I was spot on with my value of the property based on market research.

The agent got me a quick sale, very close to my asking price but put some pretty odd conditions on the sale because the buyers were his "clients" and he was looking after them. Pretty much, what he was doing wasn't actually legal. It got so bad at his agency that he was asked to move on. This sounds like a nightmare but I was really lucky that the conditions on mine were for really minor faults and cost very little money and time to remedy. One example was a blown light bulb which became part of the contract to fix. The sale ended up going through with very little hassle. I'm not sure I would recommend this strategy to someone else though.

As an aside, how about that guy with a projected sales price of $180,000. The unit sold for $257,000 in a couple of weeks. He was way off!

We sold a property in Perth a month ago. I know exactly how much the property is worth as I am very familiar with that area as I had gone to numerous home opens and know the sales prices as well. We just selected a local area REA who we knew as someone who looks after his clients by getting the highest price. He projected 20k above our expected price but asked to install a new kitchen. And told not to do some other improvements we had planned!

Property was listed online on a Wednesday, home open on Sunday, under offer on Tuesday and settled in 5 weeks. Got 10k more than our expected price (10k less than agent's projected price) We paid 2.5% commission all inclusive.

Last edited:
Use local agents and by that I mean local to the suburb,

Last year I arranged the selling of a relative's property in Wembley (3x1.5 villa) close to Subi.

I had used another Agent to sell a property earlier the same year in Yokine which I was very happy with (for that sale) do an appraisal even though he was technically "out of area".

His appraisal for the Wembley property came in at up to $530k.

Property sold for $655k.

Even with all the sales data and info available to them, this agent and 3 other local agents who quoted around $580-$620k were way off the mark.

Back