Sellers are Dreamin'

Figures don't Add up

retirement-village-earth-view.jpg

I'm racking my brain, trying to come up with an attractive price to offer a couple who own 4000 sq m of land on a main road in a fast-growing outer northern suburb of Adelaide.
retirement-village-layout.jpg

An existing house on the land is worth around $275K.
The average price of vacant land in the area is $275 per sq m, for lots of around 500 sq m.
Based on this, an RE agent told the couple their land is worth $900K-$1M.
A 3 br house and land package in the area goes for $275-285K.
retirement-village-aerial.jpg

I want to build a small, gated retirement village on the land, with 5 units that have a community title, not one of those wicked "license to occupy" set-ups.
Trouble is, when I do the sums, it can't work if I offer the owners anywhere near what they are asking.
How can I put it to them that the market value is way lower than what the agent told them?
I want to do this project but obviously I need their co-operation.

Here are my rough figures:

Credits
Sale of 5 units @ $275K ea $1,375,000

Sale of existing house $275,000

Total $1,650,000

Debits

Developer Margin ? 33%
of Project Value $544,500

Construction costs
5 X $1,200 per sq m
X 120 sq m. $720,000

Subdivision of land
? 6 X $30,000 per lot $180,000

Purchase of land $205,500

Total $1,650,000

I've thought about adding more units to the village, but keep running into the stone wall of the $30K per lot subdivision cost.
and the smaller the units, the lower the price.
There must be some way to add value to this land so that everyone is happy.

Last edited:
It isn't worth wasting your time on if that's the sort of money they want.

Retail price for developed land is 275/sqm but they want nearly 250/sqm???

I'll be surprised if there's enough money in the deal above a 600k purchase price

Yes Bashworth, even with a community title we are hit with the $30k per block development cost.
The main problem seems to be the Planning & Development Fund Levy.
The Council told me it applies regardless of the kind of title created.

You would want to get the good oil on that deal, dont want the owner to ratchet up the price or hoist the costs too high that you cant service it properly

Have a good hard look at yourself.

You are comparing 500 m2 lots with 800m2.

A 4000 m2 site yielding only 5 blocks @ 800 m2 each - you call that density? Those blocks are massive. Crank the numbers up to 400-450 m2 each. If you allow 30% of the land for circulation space ie roads/services etc you should still achieve 7 lots at 400 m2 (or some duplex sites).

Rework the numbers:

Sales: 7 x $275k = $1,925,000
Less:
Build cost: 7 x $1250 x 120 m2 = 1,050,000
Subdivision: 7 x $30k = $210,000

Gross Profit: 20% = $210,000

Land Value: $455,000

It isn't going to be a big money spinner if you are buying at retail rates on the land. You still need to take into consideration that the land should be priced as acreage, you have to achieve a DA, demolition/site clearing, decontamination etc. As pointed out, once the block is serviced (drainage/water, power, gas, phone etc) then your $275/m2 is probably achievable but on a small scale development these costs will be significantly higher by %

Design-wise a budget house builder might achieve a better result than by using a custom design - probably knocking off $100-150/m2

Last edited:
Back