Selling an apartment; Furnished or Empty?

Hello Everyone,

I'd like some opinions on whether it is better to hold inspections for selling an apartment with it furnished or empty.

I realise this is a bit of a "How long is a piece of string? question. Let's say it is a large well kept 3 bedder with two balconies.

Agents have been universal in recommending that it be furnished. No reasons given.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

There is a reason why all the agents are telling you to do it.

It works! Furnishing the unit creates ambiance. It "looks" good to the visual people ( the vast majority of people) and "feels" good to the feely people.

It is definately worth furnishing an apartment to sell it in my opinion. That's why all the developers have a display apartment. People don't have to imagine what will fit in.

Remember most purchasers are owner occupiers and most buy with emotion.

You hire the furniture by the week. The agents should be able to give you contact details of companies that do this.

It could add dollars to your bottom line.

Depends,

It's a two edged sword. Your furnishings may be too 'stylised' to one particular taste, and may turn off some people.

Having a empty apartment allows buyers to imagine their 'living style' in that space, without having to contend with your knick knacks all over the place.

It would also make the apartment seem 'bigger' when it is empty.

Of course, if you are getting a professional to design the look of the apartment, then that is fine. That may very well be as good as an empty apartment.

Michael Yardney said:
There is a reason why all the agents are telling you to do it.

It works! Furnishing the unit creates ambiance. It "looks" good to the visual people ( the vast majority of people) and "feels" good to the feely people.

It is definately worth furnishing an apartment to sell it in my opinion. That's why all the developers have a display apartment. People don't have to imagine what will fit in.

Remember most purchasers are owner occupiers and most buy with emotion.

You hire the furniture by the week. The agents should be able to give you contact details of companies that do this.

It could add dollars to your bottom line.

well said, buyers want to see themselves living there...by providing furniature you lessen the mental work they have to do to see themselves as the new owners

Back