Selling to buy back in cheaper

Would you sell out to buy back in cheaper?

• Yeah I'd give it a go.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • Not for me thanks.

Votes: 81 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all, had a spare 20mins, so thought I’d try a little exercise in selling out of an overpriced property to get back in cheaper, as I've seen it mentioned a few times over the last few months.

Assumptions: 75% debt on original purchase price + costs (so about 80% LVR), tax bracket of 30%, the house is neutrally geared upon sale so requires no ongoing funds.

$200k property purchase + $12k costs = $210k ($170k debt)

Value increased to $300k

Expecting a drop of 30% so sell to get back in later

Costs to buy = $10k
Costs to sell = $6.5k
CGT = $12.5k
Total exit costs = $29k
Cash left after IO debt of $170k repaid = $101k

Assume that it takes market 2yrs to drop 30%, and in the mean time you are earning 15% on your money ie. in shares, funds etc.
= $101k funds left after sale

$101k + 15%pa x 2 (no extra contributed)
= $133k
Sell after 2yrs
Value increase of $32k
Entry & Exit costs of 1% (conservative) = $2.3k
CGT on sale = $4.5k (assume CGT disc. Applies to entire cap gain)
= $126.2k cash left

Costs to re-enter property at $210k (30% decline) + $13k costs
= $223k
Borrow 75% + costs again (so 80% total LVR)= $178k debt funding
= cash needed of $45k
= $126.2k (cash) - $45k cash required
= $81.2k left over cash.

End result = same property owned with hopefully higher yield, and $81.2k cash left over.

Following assumptions were made:

- The biggest assumption is that the property will in fact drop 30% - if it does'nt, you would have been better off leaving your deposit funds in a neutrally geared but higher leveraged environment.
- A 30% drop in comparable properties over the space of 2yrs, ie. no further increases after sale, but immediately started declining (if it went up another 10% after you sold, then dropped 30% - the figures would'nt’t look as good). In other words, you have to pick the peak of the market.
- Assuming prices go down for the whole 2yrs – if they only take a year to drop then start rising again, you won’t have made as much cash in the other investment, or may miss buying altogether. In other words you have to pick the bottom of the market, and have to have it in the time frame that suits you.
- Assuming you can achieve 15% return over the 2yr period with your cash.
- This assumes neither investment – house or shares require any ongoing commitment. Yes you can leverage the shares/funds but that will increase your risk, and also remember the house was neutrally geared – so would'nt be comparing apples with apples, as you would have to be making interest payments on the margin loan requiring you to either capitalize or draw from your own income.
- Assuming you are only on a tax bracket of 30% - otherwise figures look worse with more CGT taken out
- Assume 100% of profit from funds/shares is tax deductible (unlikely unless you make all the profit in the first year and none in the second otherwise CGT discount won’t apply for total profit)

Now I’m sure there are some factors I’ve forgotten, but this is just off the top of my head.

The above proves it can be done, but taking into account all the assumptions that need to be made, I don’t believe I would ever have enough faith in my timing and judgment of the market to pull of the above exercise. Good luck to those who do.

As a matter of interest - how many people here would be willing to give this a try?

I voted No. My crystal ball was never any good, and selling/buying always costs money. If I get into an investment knowing I am going to hold it for the long term, I will not be changing my mind so quickly.

My question is;

Does anyone expect a well located property worth $200k to drop $60k over 2 years?

I doubt it would happen.

Even at $300k it's doubtful; that's why I like the cheapie end of the spectrum.

It certainly could happen on a $2.5 mill mansion in a trendy suburb where there are often high income earners with not a lot of financial brains competing with Mr. Jones next door.

Last edited:
I can't see prices dropping by 30%. I'd be surprised if prices in urban areas dropped by more than 10% (with the possible exception of Perth). In fact, I doubt there'll actually be any significant drop; prices will just stay stagnant for a few years in those areas that are currently overheated. That's my bet, FWIW...

An acquaintance did this a few years ago: sold a house in Caboolture. Six months later he was priced out of the market.

Even if the prices come down , the buying and selling costs don't make it worthwhile, in my opinion.

RK

Even if the prices come down , the buying and selling costs don't make it worthwhile, in my opinion.RK

We have a couple of friends who class themselves as 'property investors' who think that the way to go is to sell and buy back in cheaper - not surprisingly, it never seems to have worked for them! The buying/selling costs are, IMHO, way too much money down the gurgler!!!

And how many can actually 'read' the market accurately?? Does anyone know people who have been successful with this strategy??

Cheers
LynnH

And how many can actually 'read' the market accurately?? Does anyone know people who have been successful with this strategy??

Cheers
LynnH

Exactly. I've heard it mentioned here in the last few months by some, saying property is over priced and they've sold now to buy back in later.

I just can't see people making much of a success of it. Way too risky and too reliant on everything going according to plan.

Who wants to stop at one property, anyway? I need a lot more property to get to where I want to be. That means I should be buying more, not selling. No one can predict the market.
Alex

I know a lady quite well who's quite an experienced investor, having invested in commercial properties for over 15 years, and she owns several whole buildings (office blocks, mainly). She has been gradually selling down her portfolio (Brisbane) this past year, and her last one is for sale now. She told me she plans to sit the market out for 2 years and then buy back in after the bust that she's anticipating in the Brisbane commercial market in 2009. I was surprised to hear her say this, but I must say she's more experienced than me, and what she's saying is consistent with Chris Lang's warning video.

But I don't think the same kinds of dramatic price booms and busts will be seen in the residential market. Sure could be wrong though. :D

That's what I'd like to know. I'm keen to hear from someone on their strategies to achieve this successfully. I think it's fraught with risk and uncertainty.

To achieve this strategy successfully you are either:
1) able to read the future, or
2) lucky with timing

In any case, anyone who has been investing for a few years would have significant CG liability if they sold. If your property has doubled, you'd probably pay at least 20% in agents fees to sell, CG and fees and stamp duty to buy back.

Not worth it, given that I CAN'T read the future.
Alex

Thanks Tracey, that's the sort of thing I was looking for.

Wow! Selling (I would assume) multi millions worth of property and getting out of the market completely on the belief that she'll get back in cheaper. Even if I was certain in my beliefs I don't think I'd have the guts to jump completely out of the market like that. Too risky for my mindset (but then again I wouldn't sell one property to get back in cheaper, so in this facet of PI I'm very conservative if you'd call it that).

Have to admire her convictions in her beliefs!

You're right though, commercial market is a different beast to residential in this sort of scenario.

Wow! Selling (I would assume) multi millions worth of property and getting out of the market completely on the belief that she'll get back in cheaper.
Yep. I don't think she's been out of the market at all in 15 years, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's sold $10-20M worth of property. Maybe I should be asking her for a loan... actually, perhaps I will! I'm pretty sure that they've just got the proceeds in a CD :eek:

I am meeting with a high net worth well connected gent from Melbourne next week. He is coming up to Brisbane to arrange sale of >4 IPs he bought pre 2002.

He's rebalancing in favour of emerging economies and Aust energy resources.

He has a very high job income, so needs the tax advantage of high growth and soso yields' therefore isn't interested in rental growth.

I am picking up the vibe in Brissy that the outer burbs are flattening. The rate hikes are slowing interest from investors in particular. There's still strong interest in strategic inner burbs, but that always slows later.

As I have said several times since December 07, I believe investment property will be flat for several years, across Australia, and maybe as long as during the 90s in Brisbane where growth remained under 5%pa.

The All Ords moved from 1500 to 3500 in the same time.

How much will it fall? Strategic areas will probably kick along above 3-5%, while outer burbs may see 25-30% off nominally over the next 5 years.

Much will depend on how much hurt the RBA feels is necessary, and how much of the RBA's work sub prime will cause private lenders to initiate alone.

It will be interesting.....Rudd will be wanting to avoid double digit interest rates like the plague......for risk of Keating's stigma rubbing off.

I can't see prices falling too much, but I can see a flattening in housing values, maybe for years as in the early 1990s.

Finance will become much harder to get. This will apply to businesses as well.

The main danger is that in a contracting economy, people will lose jobs. Then they can't afford their repayments. Then the house is sold. This is crunch time - with fewer buyers who can qualify for finance out there, prices in these individual scenarious WILL drop. If lucky (and with some equity), the vendor will get enough to pay off the loan. Otherwise, he/she will be making payments until the debt is repaid.

BTW, when we built our first house in 1974 the "savings banks" would only lend 65%. You had to have a third deposit. Otherwise you had to go to a "trading bank" or finance company and pay much higher interest.

Even though we were lucky enough to live in a rent free house that belonged to friends, it took us nearly 3 years to save the deposit required, which was about average for people starting out.
Marg

Already Sold

I have liquidated 5 properties this year. 3 in London before the downturn one in Adelaide and one in Sydney before the downturn. Looks like todays auction clearance may be the start of something.

hfw

I have liquidated 5 properties this year. 3 in London before the downturn one in Adelaide and one in Sydney before the downturn. Looks like todays auction clearance may be the start of something.

hfw

Where may I ask are you putting your cash? TDs? only to receive 3% real return? Perhaps the post is about sitting on the sidelines and waiting for the market to fall so you can buy back in cheaper? As many have suggested, you invariably get priced out. As did I for inner city Melb and select regions of Syd in the last 18 months.

Back