Selling with plans

I have a cnr block site with an old 50's brick veneer where the renters have happily paid to live for the last 6 years. I've just removed a large tree in the backyard and am thinking its time to look at building. Not really interested in whole process at this stage, but am wondering has anyone had much joy with getting the plans through and then sellling with approvals, perhaps with a long settlement and vendor financing?
Of course Ill need to do due diligence on land values to ensure I make a quid.

Long settlements in the past have been very kind to me as long as you load up the purchase price, effectively having a punt that the purchaser will get the build up, will not fall over and the market will go a certain direction. Most risks can be minimized with deposit, purchase price and settlement time and of course if the builder does fall over mid way through and hasn't settle, you still own the block and keep the deposit.

You used to get premium prices for lands with permits but in Victoria these days that premium isn't as lucrative as it once was.

It depends on the project, but a couple of townhouses on an existing block will cost about $30k and take 6-12 months to get designed and approved (this is very, very rough figures).

The plans are thus worth something, but there's usually far more margin in completing the project.

Keep in mind that in some areas, there's no profit when you consider the cost of demolition and construction and everything in betwee. Hence in these cases the plans are essentially worthless.

You used to get premium prices for lands with permits but in Victoria these days that premium isn't as lucrative as it once was.

True, but with VCAT (tribunal) dates approaching a 12 month wait, land with permits will start to look attractive again for some builders/developers.

Back