Seminar wishes....... :)

Was thinking a lot about this when someone posed the question to me recently, and I thought it might make for an interesting thread on the forum.......

If you were a novice property investor all over again (that is, not having bought any property, apart from possibly only your own home) what type of seminar/education do you think would help you on the road to getting "started"?

For me, personally, I would have to say that I draw my inspiration most effectively from others who have "been there done that" and who are enthusiastic in their communication of knowledge. Sure, I can read books and listen to tape sets endlessly (there are abundant quantities of them after all!) but when it comes down to it, there is nothing quite like listening and learning from others. Though my first experience was Peter Spann, there have been others along the way who have caught and held my attention and showed me different ways of investing that I didn't even know existed. I have learnt from them all and don't regret for one minute the money I have spent educating myself.

Whilst keeping an open mind is a great idea, however, it can become very confusing when you're inundated with strategies. As others have said before me on this forum, it is essential to adopt one strategy initially and follow through on it, so that you can successfully develop confidence and experience. Having clear goals for the future (both short and long term) is also vital, as is still enjoying the journey along the way.

So....... if I was to start again, I guess I wouldn't do anything differently, as I am now on a continuing curve of learning as far as property investment goes. I have a new question (at least) every day and I never ceased to be amazed by the generosity of others to share their pearls of wisdom.

Just some thoughts anyway. Looking forward to responses :)

I *am* a newbie property investor, I haven't bought my first IP yet.

But I wish I had possessed the self motivation to have started this earlier, whilst I was living at home for example. Failures can be handled much easier when you don't have the burdens of a family, a mortgage etc.

Not starting back then has simply made it harder to start now. Actually, perhaps not actually *harder* to start, but my fear of failing (and losing lots of money) is much stronger now.

I think that's no different to being 20 years old again and doing those things that you wouldn't do now - we get more averse to risk as we get older.

Kevin.

Newbie Investor

Hi

I bought my first 3 IPs in April this year, and went back in September and bought another 2 in the same area (North of BrisVegas )and i am an absolute beginner in property investment. I did 6 months of my own research beforehand tho and i would have bought anywhere in Australia depending on my research.

The rental return on the properties is about 8% gross and the cap. growth is nothing short of amazing.

Anyway, i started thinking "why should i wait for cap. growth, how can i accelerate it"? and i ended up going to a Doidge/Eslick seminar in October. It was worth the 11 hour drive and I have to say the seminar was fantastic, worth every cent and the strategies will be very useful in the future.

Besides that i have read a couple of Koyasaki (sp?) books , Anita Turner book and gained a lot of info from this forum which is great. (i only discovered it about 2 weeks ago....D'OH!!!)

It is a steep learning curve and i can imgaine i'll still be learning in 10-20 years, (unless im rich and couldnt be bothered learning anymore :)

But overall i agree with Jacque, the experiences of people who have been there/ done that and passed on their knowledge is the best eduaction of all.

Hi Jacque,

It's probably obvious to many that I have learnt a lot from Peter Spann myself. He has opened my eyes gretly and starfted me off on a path which has so far been very good to me. However, he claims that he will not be doing his seminars any more (apart from a few more still to go)- not enough money in them now- so it would not be possible to recommend a beginner to go to his seminars. Besides, many people are put off by the hype, the hoo ha, and the man.

There are many imitators. Some of them are doing a straight copy of his methods- but not with nearly the same effect.

Of course, many people have done Steve Navra's seminar. It is of just good value to people with experience as to people with none. Even without the very low price tag, it's great value, and highly recommended for anyone.

Apart from that, I've tended to concentrate more on reading- books, and the forum- and on meeting people who invest. I needed the kick start which I personally could have only got from a live presentation like Peter's.

gee Brains you are off to a great start.
I had a mate open my eyes to P.I about 6 months ago so i read a few books of Jan Somers and purchased the PIA software and read Neil Jenmans book on real estste mistakes. I watched Dolph Deroos sydney seminar on TV and i was convinced.
I already have my family home with a fair bit of equity, so i decided on building a portfolio over the next 15 years.
I set a goal to purchase 2 properties in the next 5 yrs. Two months from that day and I had my first property, it settled and i went straight back to the bank to find out that i may purchase another now if I want to.
This is really great fun, I cannot believe how easy it really is.

I believe the most valuable info comes from talking to people that have done this....that is all you people on this board..
thankyou, ;)
take care

reggie

Go Reg!

Well done!

Property is great.

Just be careful with your purchases. In these times, do your reasearch well, and buy right. There's potential to do well. But mistakes will hurt.

title deeds

My wife wasnt too impressed when we had to hand over the title deeds to our PPOR to the bank, and my friends think im crazy risking the family home for investment but they dont understand.
Ive well and trully been bitten by the PI bug, i just have to restrain myself a bit. I consider risk minimisation by education and research, but no one really knows for sure where the property market is going.

Hi Guys

Long time no post! I love this industry and the people in it (well most) and I love learning. I've certainly learnt the hard way ie doing it myself, although I've been to a seminar or two (Doidge/Eslick) who are specific with improvements/renos. It was great.

Along the way I've picked up the jargon, the entry to a lot of things like finance, jv's etc, and this is the hardest stuff. I know it's basic, but there are few avenues out their who go through the basics, thoroughly.

I'm passing my knowledge on all the time to people, even having requests to sit down with them and goal set, make referrals to info etc. I love it and I know that these people appreciate any help they can get when they're at the "starting line".

Cheers

Jane P

I just joined forum and have been reading what you have been saying about seminars. My question is I have narrowed it down to three, they are THE INVESTMENT INSTITUTE.COM.AU, PROPERTYINVESTING.COM BY STEVE MCKNIGHT AND PROPERTYOZ.COM.AU

I would like other people's thoughts and opinions on who they would recommend and if they have had any experiences with any of the above mentioned.

jase @ kristy,

Before you head along to ANY seminar. I suggest you work out what your questions are.

You may even be able to get most of them answered here and then pick the seminar provider which can best answer the rest.

I've seen too many people go to seminars without the first idea about what they want out of the seminar and this neither helps them or the seminar provider address their issues.

I suggest you read through this forum first, look at some of Jan Somer's books, go to a Freestyler's meeting or two and then work out your questions and the best seminars to attend.

Cheers,

Aceyducey
(Seminar addict - which is why I avoid them)

Seminars - where to from here?

Hi all,
New to the forum and am fascinated by the wealth of information provided by every one here.

This thread as started by Jacque is great in that it allow me to see where to go from here, having seen where others have been. Read the Kiyosaki books and have been fired up but not sure where to go. Not one to start up businesses, have decided that REI is the way to go for me. Problem is where to go from here. Have read Jan Somer's books and Magaret Lomas.

Was wondering where to go from here.

Jacque, you mentioned tapes and the like. Anything you can suggest. Not sure if I have the backing to make seminars, since most from what I can see cost a fair bit, money I would probably prefer to put into my first IP !

I know the risk if I read too much is to undergo analysis paralysis, but would feel more comfortable knowing the various strategies out there before fully committing to one myself! Anyone have suggestions as to direction from here?

Hi Lupus,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest that you attend one of Steve Navra's seminars. He does two day seminars which cover property, shares, and some innovative techniques- they're a goldmine of information, and you'd learn heaps. Best of all, they cost under $300 for the two days. Have a look at www.navrainvest.com.au - however, the seminar information is not up to date.

Steve is a contributor to the forum, and there's been lots mentioned about him- a search on Navra should reveal all.

Back