Seriously considering my first property / managing the REA

Hello everyone,

Just seeking some perspectives on my situation, would love to hear your thoughts...

I am seriously considering putting in an offer for a property on the market in the outer Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. The 2 bed unit shares a wall with the neighbouring unit, in a spacious complex of about 10 units. The list price is "Above $250,000". The original (30 year old) kitchen and bathroom need immediate repairs/renovation and rotting wooden stairs and decking in the courtyard needs replacement. I am estimating a basic renovation budget of $25,000

I believe that a fair price for the property is $230,000. However, I know that the fair price, what vendors want and what other buyers are willing to pay can be very different figures!

There were only two other parties at the OFI on Saturday, one left almost immediately and so potentially only down to me and the other party at the moment. The agent called me around 4.30 today to follow up after Saturday and asked me if I had any interest in the property. I said I really liked it, but that I am not prepared to put in an offer at the asking price. He said that he actually expected the property to sell closer to the $300k mark. As a first time buyer, I asked him if there is a guide I should use when a rough price range is listed and he said I should aim for 10% above the list price, as that would take me close to what the vendor is expecting. But for a $275k price tag, plus $25k reno's, I know I could buy a stand alone unit that is not in immediate need of renovations for the same price. Problem is that I don't want to spend $300k!

Is it worth putting in a slightly lower offer and see where it goes? A colleague suggested offering 10% under then coming up a little higher if need be... but I think that offering $240k and a 30 day settlement might sway the vendor to accept the offer? The house is being sold by an old lady moving into a nursing home (not a cover story, the decor and mobility aides in the house support that story!)

How would you play this? I am thinking of sending a friend to the OFI next Saturday to see if they get any more people in this time, then submitting an offer on Sat afternoon if the numbers were low... sneaky huh!

I don't want to rip a little old lady off, but from my research $250k + really is too much for this property..

My other alternative is just to wait and save a bigger deposit... I have $15k saved now, but it will be $20k by the end of the year. I don't have any other properties/assets, 27yrs old, 60k pa income...

Any thoughts??

Louise

Go for the $240k, 30 days (or even the $230k) as long as you are happy to walk should things not pan out to your satisfaction.

As long as no one beats your offer and they are in a hurry then you have a chance as it sounds as the state may put of the FHB crowd.

Cheers

Hello and thanks for the replies!

I am re-thinking the 30 day settlement now just incase I am unable to make that date! I'm not 100% sure that everything will be done in that time so maybe it is better to be safe than sorry!

twobobs, I have been trying to find out the sale price of the unit in the same block which sold in March this year. The sale price has been witheld. There have been very few sales in the block and most of the residents are elderly. I did find out that Residex values this property at $267k, but I don't know how much weight to give this figure considering that it isn't based on inspection of the property. As the property is still in its original condition, I wonder if it is fair to knock something (say 10% off??) this figure?? This takes me to a figure around $240k.

Y Man, the property is for me to live in with my dad. We currently rent, but will need to move out of this property at the end of the year when my sister moves out to live overseas. I am hoping to buy rather than rent for another 12 months. The idea is that dad will contribute $100 per week for his room in the house, and I will pay as much as I can into the property to build equity and put myself in a position to buy another property for myself or with my partner or for my dad to move into long term. Unfortunately dad has been unwell and without an income for many years now and can't help me out any more than that financially. I just want to provide a home for him in the future. Perhaps the fast answer is to say that I don't think I will be leasing it to other tenants in the near future, but maybe down the track if my investment decisions prove fruitful!

Should I contact the agent to get a copy of the S32 now? Or should I do this closer to putting an offer in? I am thinking of staking out the OFI on Saturday morning and seeing if there is more interest than the last opening, and then submitting my offer on Saturday afternoon. Or is it worth putting the offer in before the OFI? I know as soon as my offer is in the REA will possibly share this information with other prospective buyers... when is a good time to strike?!

Thanks again for getting back to me!

Louise

Y Man, the property is for me to live in with my dad. We currently rent, but will need to move out of this property at the end of the year when my sister moves out to live overseas.....

See, this changes perspective for me on how you should approach this....

Should I contact the agent to get a copy of the S32 now?

Yes. You should scrutinise the S32 very closely BEFORE you even think about putting the offer in. :eek: You should not be able to come up with a number without looking at the S32. For all you know, it could be under some strange overlay, an easement that goes right under the unit etc etc etc ....

The Y-man

Thanks Y-man, I'll ask for a copy of the S32 tomorrow then. But what do you mean about changing your perspective?? Is there something else I should consider??

Thanks Y-man, I'll ask for a copy of the S32 tomorrow then. But what do you mean about changing your perspective?? Is there something else I should consider??

I would suggest holding off renovations.
Do necessary repairs and keep a cash buffer.

After all you are willing to buy it in the condition it is in..so it is sellable or liveable as is.

Thanks Kathryn,

I agree I need to hold off on major works, just need a few basic repairs to the cracked shower screen and peeling wall paper in the bedrooms...... and maybe a new kitchen!!! :)

Even though everything is in very original 30 year old condition, I might have to wait for the kitchen........... :(

I know it doesn't sound lovely, but I think I can make it 'home', and I have to start somewhere!!

But what do you mean about changing your perspective?? Is there something else I should consider??

For many people, the prospect of finding their own home is very different to finding an IP.

Because the property needs to fit you personal tastes, they can often be more difficult to come by, and as a result, you may need to be willing to pay more for it when the "right one" pops up.

Nothing worse than moving into a place that financially made sense, but you hate otherwise.....

The Y-man

Back