Serviceability - Am I missing the point

Hi everyone

I've got the serviceability blues too. Was just reading a post further down started by Mark C. I'm in a similar situation and have posted before about this but I think I'm missing the point somewhere.

Can anyone tell me how to go about presenting a business case to by Bank Manager. I have been to a couple of Brokers who claim they are experts in Residential Property deals but I seem to be coming up with Brokers that work everything out using the "mum and dad" scenario. They too seem to be only dealing with a couple of the big banks. They must get more commission or something.

My case is that I own my own home, which is valued at $175,000 - Mortgage owing is $18,000. Have $6,5k credit card limit, maxed out. Have three rentals with mortgages of $237k combined and combined re-value of about $320k. I have a positive cash-flow of $10,400 per annum excluding rates & insurances.

Because I own my own business, which broke even last year I have to show my financials. Myself and my partner only took $23,500 in salary last year. The rentals are bringing in $525 per week, and the tax department owe me a $8,500 refund due to the rentals and family support that I did not claim, although the banks won't take this into account. They are saying that we can't service a new rental.

My problem with this is that we have a friend of ours has just bought his 6th rental. He does earn alot more in salary than us, but when I asked him if there is going to be a time when he can't service his loans he said no. I said why and he said because his rental income is covering his mortgages. I said to him that that was what we told the bank and they turned us down due to serviceability. He said that was wrong, and that you just have to explain it correctly to them, make them see sense. He's obviously more business-savvy than me, because I must be doing something wrong. He's also got this huge debt with the Inland Revenue department and doesn't own any of his properties outright. Doesn't even own his own home, or car, and is living in one of his properties. He's also using the same person at the same bank as us, but we get told something completely different than him.

He said you just need to write it all down on paper for them, so that they can see where you are coming from. I talk and talk to the bank and say the same thing he's telling them, but he gets the loan and I don't.

Am I stupid? Or is he just really clever.

Help!

Regards, QB

HI QB

He is neither clever and you "aint" stupid.

you have just found a little hurdle that needs to be overcome, that he either hasnt yet come across OR has found a way over, under or around.

If you were in Oz then I know for sure how to help you. Im not a full bottle (well any bottle) on the NZ no/lo doc loan scenario.

Im positive that this type of product exists there especially for people like you.

This is a product where you are sure you can repay your loans, your tax returns are not required, that is the loan is assessed on a declaration of your ability to repay the loan.

Ta

rolf

I just remembered something else I wanted to say.

How do people that have just got normal salary (not millionaires or anything) that own 10, 20, 50 properties ever get more loans through banks. I mean, everytime you purchased a new property wouldn't your serviceability go down with regards to your salary.

When I said to the Bank that I can service the loans because the rents are more than enough covering the mortgages on them, they said because I am still personally liable for repayment of the loans. Therefore, when they are taking my expenses into account (on their little mum and dad spreadsheets) they put down that the rental mortgages are part of my expenses. Do you understand what I mean. Is this normal bank criteria.

Like, say my mortgages for my rentals were $350.00 per week, they are saying that $350pw are part of my expenses of my personal income - even though it's not. That's why I can't understand why other people manage to get numerous houses on normal salaries. Because if you had say 20 rentals your mortgage repayments would be most likely in excess of a normal persons salary.

So aren't they coming from a mum and dad perspective when they fill in their little forms, not as an investment. I could understand it if the properties were negatively geared, negative cashflow, but not positive. I still have quite a lot of leeway with my postive cashflow even if mortgage rates keep going up.

Do you think you could explain this to me to keep it simple stupid terms. haha. Thanks Rolf, maybe I shd try and get some properties in Oz. But it's still just so much more affordable here. I'm missing out on some real bargains because of this and it's quite depressing. I'M GETTING LEFT BEHIND!

Regards, QB

Hi Queen Bee

Why not run this past Steve of Mobile Mortgage Market?

I know Steve is doing quite a bit of business with Australian investors buying in the New Zealand market and has good lenders for New Zealand.

Steve has been a member of this Forum for ages, you can search his profile or email him at [email protected]

good luck

Kristine

I know where you're coming from QB, I have the same problems.

The CCs are a worry though and the existing mortgage on your own home. If you are paying P&I with only a few years left to run it will be the monthly payment which catches the banker's eye, not the piddling amt o/s. So refinance your PPOR over a longer period (interest only) and cash out enough to pay your cards and cancel them. Nothing to say you can't get new ones after the event. :)

This may be enough to reduce your monthly committments to get you started. I hate that mum 'n' dad outlook too. We are empty nesters with a quiet lifestyle and no personal debt. Got a knock-back on a re-fi to pay interest in advance and a cash out.

Thommo

Thommo said:
The CCs are a worry though and the existing mortgage on your own home. If you are paying P&I with only a few years left to run it will be the monthly payment which catches the banker's eye, not the piddling amt o/s. So refinance your PPOR over a longer period (interest only) and cash out enough to pay your cards and cancel them. Nothing to say you can't get new ones after the event. :)
Thommo

Hi Thommo

I can't see how a mortgage of $18000 is going to do much damage. I actually pay more than I'm suppose to but the bank takes the minimum into account. When I used the spreadsheet the bank gave me to see if I qualify, when I took the credit card debt off it made bugger all difference. I mean, I still have $155 equity in my PPOR.

Cheers, QB

Hi QB
I think that one of the most challenging strategies to master in property investing is negotiating a path through the "serviceability barrier". We all come up against it from time to time and each investor has individual circumstances to be considered.
One point I would mention is it may be a good idea to always have your Credit card balance paid out each month.
Another thing to consider if you intend to buy multiple properties in the future is to start to develop a simple Business plan(westpac have one on their website) That's the one we used as a base when we first started wanting the lenders to take us more seriously.
I remember going to a talk by a NZ guy who said that he garenteed $X would always be in his bank account each month. This enabled him to borrow a fare bit of NZ money on that basis.
IMHO, Learn from what others are doing and have done.
If you want to play this game(investing) learn how to play their game(finance)
Kind regards
Simon

simonjulie said:
Another thing to consider if you intend to buy multiple properties in the future is to start to develop a simple Business plan(westpac have one on their website) That's the one we used as a base when we first started wanting the lenders to take us more seriously.

Simon

Simon,

Ive been to Westpac site & cant find the plan . Do you have a link to it??

Thanks

Queen Bee said:
Hi Thommo

I can't see how a mortgage of $18000 is going to do much damage. I actually pay more than I'm suppose to but the bank takes the minimum into account. When I used the spreadsheet the bank gave me to see if I qualify, when I took the credit card debt off it made bugger all difference. I mean, I still have $155 equity in my PPOR.

Cheers, QB
Bee, The $18k is not the point. I missed finance on a good but cheap, +ve c/f property because I was paying off a car. I had more than enough liquid assetts to pay out the finance but I had taken a short repayment term so the (relatively high) monthly repayment killed the deal. My finance broker (only once) did not pick up on this. I had to find this out after testing a direct lender who was honest with me. Time beat me but clearly I could have solved the prob.

Cards have a similar effect. They will calculate your monthly expenses and then add the min repayment of a fully drawn card, as if cards were never used to meet regular exs. My cards are primarily used for business and always paid on the due date (hint: Use Amex/Diners because they must be paid in full monthly, ergo bankers ignore them) but it matters little if you pay debit cards the same way.

It also pays to shop around to find a lender who adds back non-cash business exs such as depreciation. They don't all do so.

Thommo

Thommo said:
pay your cards and cancel them. Nothing to say you can't get new ones after the event.

Side point here and to be used with care, In Aus when a lending institution asks you what CC's you have and the debt they can only know from their CRA searches that you applied for credit, they can not know what CC's you have or what you owe unless you tell them or if its on your bank statement :)

Hey people,
some quick tips on servicing
* for every $1000 limit on a credit card you cannot access about $5000 in home or investment loans (some lenders are good with balance paid in full each month)
* personal loans the same as they are also "unsecured credit"
* Most banks qualify you at a "sensitised rate" for loans currently existing...
(even if you are paying 6.15% fixed over 3 years they wil access it at 8.57% in their calculations...

Rental Income by most banks is calculated at 70% of gross income for servicing calculations.

The trick is to know which bank to go to at which time....I would suggest a self certifying loan as a Lo Doc...

Cheers Mitch

Hi Rixter
Just tried to find the Business plan on the Westpac website. It was not there.
It was about three years ago when I downloaded it. Westpac must have decided to remove it.
Attached is a simple basic format
Kind regards
Simon

Attachments

• Business Plan.doc
    27 KB · Views: 251
David E-Noosa said:
Side point here and to be used with care, In Aus when a lending institution asks you what CC's you have and the debt they can only know from their CRA searches that you applied for credit, they can not know what CC's you have or what you owe unless you tell them or if its on your bank statement :)
Mitch, are you saying that if I fail to tell Cheep Aussie Home Loan Inc (or whatever) that I have six c/cards they can't prove differently? If so, clearly, you do not use cards from from your favourate (?) bank.

Thommo,
hmmn getting into disclosure issues here, as an Accredited Mortgage Broker I would say that the practice of non-disclosure of information to credit providers would be illegal....as David from E-Noosa said it is correct that if it does not show up on your baycorp then the bank will not know about it...but I question if you need to go that far..there are many ways to skin a cat...(as the expression goes)

It also depends on the loan is it a full doc or a lo doc...

(side note what does this mean?)
"If so, clearly, you do not use cards from from your favourate (?) bank."

Mitch

simonjulie said:
Hi Rixter
Just tried to find the Business plan on the Westpac website. It was not there.
It was about three years ago when I downloaded it. Westpac must have decided to remove it.
Attached is a simple basic format
Kind regards
Simon

Much Appreciated Simon :)

Thanks

There is some info on the Commonwealth Bank site. Dale has mentioned to me that bthey have software to help you out with this.

Business Plans for Dummies ($39.95 in Australia) is excellent- it may go too far for what you want, but it will give you some good ideas.

Dolf de Roos has suggested that an analysis of the property you want to buy using Ian Somers' PIA software is an excellent to impress a lender.

Hi Geoffw
Is my KISS business plan too simple? Why make life hard for ourselves. Although it seems that banks really like to see SWOT analysis in a BP it must make it look professional or something.
It works for me. It is what you put in it that counts.
Kind regards
Simon

I did manage to find some stuff out on the Westpac site about how to write a Business Plan - it took a while - I did a search for plan - searching for business plan didn't work. You can also do a search on a search engine for property+investment+business+plan and I managed to find a bit of info that way.

I think it's a really good idea to do a business plan. Never really thought of doing one for my properties. Have one for my other business - it's a logical solution really because we are running it as a business. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Yes, it's a good point about the credit cards. Even though your balance might me $500 - if you limit is $6.5k your repayment is 3% of your limit as far as the bank is concerned.

I would have to declare my credit card to the bank I've been dealing with because it's their card. But it's true - you don't need to put everything in there. Like student loans!

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Cheers, QB

Examples???

Would anyone care to share their completed version of Simons business plan template as an example? (or any other business plan).

Yes, that would be really helpful if someone could do that.

I just emailed the Mortgage Manager at the bank and she came back with this regarding serviceability.

I will get your file and rework to figures to see what we can do.

As far as your friend goes, we don't look at only the income from rentals , but there is another test which we use . What we do is check to see if all the rentals were vacant at once , wether you would have a minimum amount left over at the end of the month to live on. In your case the minimum would be $1300 for a couple and $120 for each child. We also include any HP's , credit cards, overdrafts , plus rates and insurance.

So its not a black and white scenario, there are other considerations as well.

So we'll see what happens there.

Cheers, QB :rolleyes:

Back