Setback for subdivison

Just wondering, does anyone know and can educate me on setbacks? If I have a 2 blocks of land next to each other, can I reduce the setback between the two blocks when I build? If so, does it only apply if I built the houses together at once or if I stagger the two builds do I lose the benefit of the reduction in setback?

I know a set back has to be present. However can the length of setback be reduced if you owned two blocks or it is standardised at a set length?

Nope not really.

You can have sections built up to the boundary between or zero setback otherwise side setbacks are determined by the R codes.

Note that if a wall has no major opening (windows less than 1sqm, windows higher than 1.6m high or windows which are obscured) you can get the side setback down to 1m in most cases.

You could design a development that incorporates both blocks instead of two separate developments which requires you to maintain the setbacks on the adjoining boundary.

it depends on your council, you may be able to build a garage on both boundaries but they will have to be fire rated. any building closer to boundaries will generally have to be fire rated

Back