Sewer line running diagonally across backyard

And it is definitely necessary!
pity

And I also agree with Dave. If I was the seller I would say it's your problem if you want to extend etc as it doesn't affect the house as it currently is

Yeah I can see your point. Still, there are a lot of buyers who wouldn't even consider it with that line there. That makes it a lot harder to sell ... doesn't it?

I'm sure the rea would also tell you that it's possible to send turds wirelessly now too!

Trees, paving, pergola all ok buy there is a slight chance that at some point it may need to be dug up got repairs, very unlikely and with the equipment out there now digging is often the last option. Don't plant anything with crazy invasive root systems, Jacaranda /ponseana etc.

What council?

pity

Yeah I can see your point. Still, there are a lot of buyers who wouldn't even consider it with that line there. That makes it a lot harder to sell ... doesn't it?

True. Is it an IP? If so offer low.
The sewer may deter others which reduces interested parties and if you plan to have it as an IP long term the sewer won't affect tenants and yield!
Offer low, go hard

Yeah - was told to encase any trees, too.

Is it that kind of pipe line?

PM-ing you about the council for the time-being.

Only encase if your going to build something substantial over it! Granny flat, extension, garage. Don't bother for trees, gazebo or paving.

Yeah, thanks, good point, true. Would like to know I could at least plant some trees, put down some paving (reduce mowing) and put up a pergola or two. Of course the pool remains a 'pipe dream'.
I'm sure it would affect resale, though.

Pavinig pergolas ec are typically fine over sewer lines, and planned planting could also be done quite easily with tree/shrub species without large root systems

Sewer lines belong to the govt water department so Council have no say in moving/encasing or footing any $$ towards it.

Lots of houses have sewer lines running through their backgardens and it's no biggie but they are usually 1-2m in from back fence and quite straight. Diagonal is not the best but unless you want to extend the house/build GF etc where it is then it's not the end of the world.

They are hard to move because you need to keep it joined to both neigbours pipes so unless you create an L shape it's not going to happen and there is no way that a Water Dept will allow a L shape because **** will get trapped in the corner.

Building non permanent structures over is fine - paving, shed on pavers, garden etc is all fine. Pool will not be.

Is this for a PPOR or IP?

long-term - IP. Will probably live there while doing the renos.
If there was a way I could keep the current tenants (who want to stay, have been there 5 years) and do renos at the same time, I would. Doesn't seem fair though.
Also need to paint inside and out, maybe gyprock interior walls, tin up the ceilings, move a toilet, retile bathrooms, etc.
Main thing is to get the stormwater reined in. And the termites.

westminster: there is no way that Water Dept will allow a L shape because **** will get trapped in the corner.
mmmmm. didn't think of that.

Last edited:
Gees Wattleido,

Are they paying you to take this off their hands ?

Move on mate, hard enough to make a buck now without buying problems or are you a fixer :D

I see old houses and think, I could do that and that and that and all will be wonderful .................

long-term - IP. Will probably live there while doing the renos.
If there was a way I could keep the current tenants (who want to stay have been there, been there 5 years) and do renos at the same time, I would. Doesn't seem fair though.
Also need to paint inside and out, maybe gyprock interior walls, tin up the ceilings, move a toilet, retile bathrooms, etc.
Main thing is to get the stormwater reined in. And the termites.

mmmmm. didn't think of that.

Sewer is always straight (rare cases there are bends) and man holes used at change of directon - To stop that exact thing happening!

Why not keep them in for a bit longer and do the low impact stuff with them in there, bathroom and stormwater? or ask the PM what the tenants plan on doing

Why not keep them in for a bit longer and do the low impact stuff with them in there, bathroom and stormwater? or ask the PM what the tenants plan on doing

Probably the best way to go about it.

Macca: Gees Wattleido,

Are they paying you to take this off their hands ?

Move on mate, hard enough to make a buck now without buying problems or are you a fixer

I see old houses and think, I could do that and that and that and all will be wonderful .................

I certainly like doing old things up and hearing people say how nice it is once it's done. I dream about it. But in reality I prefer my day job. And I do wonder if I've still got it in me.
Not doing much else on my weekends though ...
The termites are camping out for now.

Some of the ones I've spoken to in council so far have been adamant that I can't put anything at all over the sewer line - even paving.

Sewer lines belong to the govt water department so Council have no say in moving/encasing or footing any $$ towards it.
Does this mean I should probably get something in writing from the WaterBoard rather than council?

Some of the ones I've spoken to in council so far have been adamant that I can't put anything at all over the sewer line - even paving.

Does this mean I should probably get something in writing from the WaterBoard rather than council?

Yup they will have guidelines on what can and can't go over sewer lines.

Sewerage = Water Authority

Drainage = Council

where you are council will take care of it.

Its best not to tell them! ive seen all sorts of stuff over man holes, thats if your even able to find them! a fun one was covered in pavers, they did a neat job too! its a needle under a hay stack.
plus the usual turfing over, under garden beds. no one wants to see them!

Council doesnt like it because when they do need access they have to fix what ever is there (to a certain extent). but unless your unlucky and have the man hole that blows its top each storm, usually access is rarely required!

plus again now with cctv and jetter trucks they will often work from the man holes on the street to avoid backyards. With your lane next to your block the man hole is there and then its a straight run through your block, so your safe! the only thing is if the condition of the pipe has deteriated. If your chatting to council ask what the condition is like and if they have done cctv recently. dont push it though they are a very sleepy beast so dont draw attention otherwise you may find they do a spot check in a few months looking to sort you out for waking them!

In Sydney and Brisbane they have water authorities. I have done some work in vic but not a great deal.

I should make my signature "I love talking s.!" (it's hard to write naughty word in here) 7+ years as an engineer working on sewer assets.and now change of pace as a labourer with council plumbers looking after water pipelines etc

Back