Shares Investment Research

Hopefully this is the right place for it, I have a friend who is looking to subscribe to some shares and managed fund investment research.

He's considering Morningstar, Lonsec and few others. Does anyone here have any feedback / recommendations on which is better and why?

Thanks!

From memory 90% of actively managed funds fail to beat the index over the long term, then there's the funds that are renamed or closed down, due to the shame of it all I suppose ;)

The Legg Mason Capital Management Value Trust's after-fee return beat the S&P 500 index for 15 consecutive years from 1991 through 2005 (consistently producing market beating returns is considered to be very unlikely according to the efficient market hypothesis).

Things then went badly in 2006 and the winning streak came to an end

Hopefully this is the right place for it, I have a friend who is looking to subscribe to some shares and managed fund investment research.

He's considering Morningstar, Lonsec and few others. Does anyone here have any feedback / recommendations on which is better and why?

Thanks!

I don't subscribe to any but I been in the market for a while so I have a reasonable knowledge of some of the stock market newsletter and various funds from extensive reading. I think this mob is ok, they pick very sound business model stock and use good key fundamental indicators...and I would pick the same many stocks they picked

http://www.lincolnindicators.com.au/

I would recommend subscribe to AFR once you have reasonable knowledge and ditch everything else.

AFR has very good coverages of many business and you get features articles from many of these newsletter mobs anyway to get their profile out there.
Over the year I pick Lincoln articles as very good and they pick good business.

AFR also covered many well backed rumours and for experience investors it can be a gold mine as you can move on these and make very good money.

most of AFR rumours usually come true as they have a connected network of people that feed them these drip and drape but good enough for people like
me to know what they are, and act on it.

Roger Montgomery website blogs plus his regular youtube updates. Methodology sounds pretty similar to Lincoln above.

Fastgraphs

I've been having a look at this...
http://www.fastgraphs.com/
Seems to be very well thought of by dividend growth investors on seekingalpha.com
Expanding beyond US stocks to rest of world markets 2014/2015.
Basic subscription cheap at $9.95 pcm.
Would be very interested in your thoughts roe, having enjoyed your posts on this and other forums.

Hi neK. I work in the financial services industry and am very familiar with the Morningstar/Lonsec type reports. Tell your friend not to waste his money.

I have been investing in shares for yonks. I got through the GFC unscathed. I do my own research based on gut feeling. I don't look a charts for candlesticks, 3 monthly averages etc.

If there was an easy way, then everybody would be rich. My problem is I don't hold long term. I believe if you hold long, then like poperties you are more likely to make a good gain (plus tax friendly dividends). I currently hold telstra (since Jan14) and am about 2.5K up and feel like taking the profit in July. I held telstra several year ago at nearly half its current price but sold out.

So I reckon the best way is hold long

Personally, I find reading Annual Reports, Company Announcements and financial news much better.

I am lazy, so I find just buying the lot (whole index at low cost) much better :p You get few bad ones in the index but over time the good ones more then makes up for the bad ones.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Well, he did ask for peoples' views. I simply gave mine.

Personally, I find reading Annual Reports, Company Announcements and financial news much better.

I did indeed ask for other peoples opinions :)
I already gave him my opinion. But I wanted to see what others thought.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts :)

Btw Mr Fabulous, how do you find the time to read all these reports on different companies. There are so many of them!

neK, I did preliminary research on listed companies, which reduced the number down to maybe 50. I then did a second lot of research to determine which companies are worthy of following. That left maybe a dozen overall.

That dozen are the ones whom I did in-depth research on (reading Annual Reports, Company Announcements, etc). I've been investing in direct shares for about 5 years now and have done okay. I haven't purchased any shares in over a year and have never sold any. I seem to be one of the few people (that I know of) that can sit patiently and wait for the right opportunity to come along, not matter how long it takes. To give you an idea, I haven't bought anything in over a year. I hold six different companies and have three others on my watchlist. I would have done much, much better had I not jumped in too early, which I put down to lack of experience.

I've held back on a few opportunities to buy, which I later regretted. I also bought more of one company when I should have sold. The lesson I took away from that one was that I thought I knew more than I did. Two of the companies are coming close to a buy-in price, so I'm watching those at the moment.

Like oracle, I am seriously considering putting money into Index Funds. Not all of it, I genuinely like doing the research on shares and buying them and the amount of money I have in the market isn't huge. But I wouldn't mind just setting some aside to just tick along over the next 30 years.

Thanks!

I have looked at most of those sites over the years,most would be good for someone starting out but the problems with organized knowledge is that's all it is some ones opinions and sometimes very complicated to understand and risk is never on the front page..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuvbghZuM8U&feature=youtu.be

Lazy investment gets lazy returns unless you have actually done your homework behind the intrinsic value of the company you are buying into.

But of course, if that strategy makes money, you were just lucky.

I would suggest if you are 'parking' money, you would be best to look at an index fund or a dividend paying stock that allows you to roll your position over into more stock.

Simple, basic and reasonably worry free. There are a few commercial real estate funds paying a solid 2.5%+ dividend at present. Others are up to 9%.

Understand what you want out of your money and invest it accordingly.

But of course, I dont hold an AFSL so I know nossing, Mister Fawlty.

Back