Shares Vs Property

No blood sucking advisors to skim off the cream, no real estate agents to hold onto bonds and delay remitting the rent. The tenants rents are increased annually and goes to market every third year. And Chilli you know the best part? WE CONTROL OUR OWN DESTINY.

Our super fund is locked away from the banks and our creditors not that either has anything to worry about.

Sadly,making I million plus one year,but nothing the next 3 does not bring the same pleasure, I went to a comm property last night, something I have been watching for a few months,as we only hold resi property and a few vacant country blocks, it’s good to see Nonrecourse you are starting to open up, everyone can learn a lot from people like you..

Funny part on Auction nights the way agents works,one slick RE told me upfront she has made her:rolleyes: clients millions over the past few years,and came back to us several times ,During the night to butter us up,asked why we did not make a bid,as I said it was not your money ,it was not your property,and why bid against vendor bids,when Monday morning One phone call to the vendor before the banks move on his empire,can put you on sidelines that quickly,you won’t even know who I am..Willair

I love these sought of posts, people always reactive to near term data bias when making their investment decisions. I wonder how US investors with exposure to residential property in florida or Laz vagas apartments are comparing the share vs property argument:D

My portfolio of australian shares is up some 20% from its november lows, the current market price is around $900k and the gross dividends are around $105,000. I have a property portfolio that has a market price of around $2.1 million with net rent of around $89k.

Even though the ASX was higher since the last time i posted this, the net value of the portfolio is now up 37% from november lows including interim dividends paid this month.

Oh foregod sake NR stop going on with your scaremongering. Who has been fleeced of their retirement income, only those that invested in ponzi schemes.
For most people their retirement savings are intact, sure its been hit over 2008, but for those that have been putting their super into a balanced superannuation fund for the last 15-20years, is it still there?, or has it disapeared to zero?

As at December 2008, the 10year return for Hostplus (an industry based superannuation fund) is:
Capital Stable: 6.08% p.a
Balanced Option: 7.31% pa
Shares Plus: 6.37% pa

So even their most agressive option is still showing positive results over 10years.

You really are a wacko jackson.

Have to agree.

Our meagre super balance only dropped 5% in the last fin year even through one of the worst sharemarket crashes in history.

Small potatoes for us.

But, if you are a retiree with a mill or so invested solely in super and this was your only income, you would not be overly impressed.

Hi Chilliaa,
Good on ya.
My sister is about the same, smaller value portfolio but last year, actually made big cap gain. She'd a stack of Queensland Gas. And her dividends probably gave her a tax burden!

The reason I didn't have shares is because I couldn't buy both shares AND property. I chose property for the simple reason I could borrow more easily. And I could manage the tax issues more effectively.

Now I lean towards equities. Never have I been so convinced that there's value there. And also because I've enjoyed a large cap gain in property, it has to cool. Also because I can now manage the tax issues through a fledgling smsf.

Those who have posted have given some really useful info. Thanks.

KY

Chilliaa - you the man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliaa
My portfolio of australian shares is up some 20% from its november lows, the current market price is around $900k and the gross dividends are around $105,000. I have a property portfolio that has a market price of around $2.1 million with net rent of around $89k.

Even though the ASX was higher since the last time i posted this, the net value of the portfolio is now up 37% from november lows including interim dividends paid this month. QUOTE]

Hi, chilliaa

I started learning about PI 3 yrs ago and am looking into learning about the share market in the near future, as I see these two as very relevant and inter-related areas necessary for great investment success. Would also like to lump in overseas PI and Shares / Managed Funds in my home country of Singapore.

Read your posts and am totally impressed by your knowledge.

You are the kind of investor that I wanna be by 45 yrs old. Am 30 yrs now, so may have some hope of achieving that. It is great to see that investors like you do exist.

Kudos to you, man. :)

Regards
Daniel Lee :)

It would be terrif. if Chillea were to be interviewed on the SS Forum for one of those inspirational stories that are done here from time to time. It would be good to have some details of his share portfolio and the path he followed to arrive at his impressive share and property holdings All good inspiration to us all and congrats & credit to you too, Chillea.

Back