Short term commercial lease

Hi, I'm interested in leasing some retail space for a short period, can't commit to long lease as I want to test a retail concept and see if it works or not. Is there anyplace I can find short term lease deals eg week to week to put a popup business while the commercial property owner looks waits for someone to sign up for a long term lease?

Hi, I'm interested in leasing some retail space for a short period, can't commit to long lease as I want to test a retail concept and see if it works or not. Is there anyplace I can find short term lease deals eg week to week to put a popup business while the commercial property owner looks waits for someone to sign up for a long term lease?

Try a shopping centre kiosk.

Short term leases happen all the time. Look at all the Xmas 'shops' that popped up over the last few months.

Had a neighboring commercial unit who rented to one of these outfits year before last. He charged them for 3 months rent plus a bond, all up front. The rent was also a premium rent.

I would suggest you start ringing the RE's in the area you are interested in as they would need to propose it to the available property owners.

Similarly if you are just after one of those shopping centre access fillers then contact the centre management of those that fall in your demographic requirements

Cheers

It depends upon the concept and how much space you would require. Casual mall leasing at shopping centres, the SCM provides the kiosk (space) or possibly a vacant shop (with or without fitout). In the case of strip shopping, you may need to knock on a few doors to find the vacant store and managing agent.

As suggested, shopping centre kiosks may be a good way of going about it.

Also start talking to local agents, as very few owners will bother taking on tenants for anything less than 12 months. The agents may, however, know an owner who is desperate for a tenant and will consider this.

Alternatively, they may know of a shop who has 6 months left on their lease and are looking to get out - you may be able to sublease from the tenant for the remainder of the lease.

Good luck!
John

Thanks for the advice!
and curious to understand...
very few owners will bother taking on tenants for anything less than 12 months.

Is that because most tenants want to alter the fitout, because of costs of signing up a lease, because having a short-term tenant makes it harder to find a long term tenant to sign up, or something else I didn't think of?
Obviously having a long term tenant is better, but what are the barriers stopping owners from renting a premises out for the very short term while their agent waits for someone to sign a new 3 year+lease?

Thanks for the advice!
No problems at all.

Is that because most tenants want to alter the fitout, because of costs of signing up a lease, because having a short-term tenant makes it harder to find a long term tenant to sign up, or something else I didn't think of?
Obviously having a long term tenant is better, but what are the barriers stopping owners from renting a premises out for the very short term while their agent waits for someone to sign a new 3 year+lease?
All of the above are valid reasons. Surplus to these reasons, for some owners it's simply not worth their time just for the sake of a few thousand $$$ in rent. For others they don't want to risk their property being damaged in exchange for 'just' a couple month's rent.

If you find a property you like, there's no harm in putting forward a short term offer. The worst you can get is a 'no'.

I hope this helps! Good luck with it!

Back